Author Topic: STEERING RACK ISSUE  (Read 65558 times)

Offline MAT ed30

• I live here
Re: STEERING RACK ISSUE
« Reply #60 on: 30 November 2007, 22:40 »
i have had mine in for a noise that i thought was the rack but vw said its the strut tops and the car is going back in on thursday.
lets see if it sorts it

EDITION 30 NUMBER:- 1038 ,Forge dv,ecs dog bone insert,Tints,inpro smoked indicators,panel filter,Black badge,Black roof,Black wing mirrors,REVO stage 2,Blueflame TBE,neuspeed arb,Neuspeed drop links,KW V3,S3 Intercooler,VWR clutch and LSD,VWR 6 pot brakes,1956 vw beetle (2332cc)

Offline KentBladeboy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #61 on: 15 December 2007, 20:02 »
Just an update, cars been in for over a week, they are now stripping down a new car and replacing the front end bit by bit to attempt to localise the noise,  understand the parts list that will be required is getting longer, as all the bits have to be taken off and put back on the new car.....at least my stealers really trying hard, no complaints, and at this stage good backup from VW Cust service (not always been the case, just depends who you get working for you).  So far parts list runs to drop links, steering arms and a modded rack, but the noise has not completely gone......................................... :undecided:

Will keep u all updated   :wink:
05 GTI DSG, Steel Grey,Monzas,Xenons,Leather etc.,  SOLD

TeddyKGB

« Reply #62 on: 18 December 2007, 19:25 »
mines started making this noise.. what a fucking farce

Offline KentBladeboy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #63 on: 20 December 2007, 18:26 »
Update time

Cars finally back after nearly 2 weeks and it was.......................a faulty steering rack,  well that was a surprise, :smiley: and the noise has gone at last, shame it took 6 attampts to fix it, but better late than never
05 GTI DSG, Steel Grey,Monzas,Xenons,Leather etc.,  SOLD

Offline maxamus

• I live here
« Reply #64 on: 08 January 2008, 22:37 »
I've started to get the clicking noise when turning left at low speeds. It doenst bother me to be honest.

How much would it cost for me to get it sorted if it got worse (as my warranty has run out)?

Steering rack part + labour im assuming.

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 30 January 2008, 23:38 »
you lot should have bought a mk1 less sqeakes  :grin:  :grin: :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

TeddyKGB

« Reply #66 on: 23 February 2008, 20:21 »
Maxamus, I'm not sure how much this would cost TBH. Assuming they narrowed it down to the steering rack first time (which it obviously is) then hopefully the bill shouldn't be too painful! I would ring your local stealers to get a rough price, if I was in your boots maybe even see if they will do it as a good will thing if your warranty has run out

Out of interest does anyone know what the procedure is for changing the steering rack (assuming the dealer is working on the assumption it's just the steering rack that's knackered, not the rest of the car) :grin:
« Last Edit: 23 February 2008, 20:24 by TeddyKGB »

Phil mcavity

« Reply #67 on: 26 February 2008, 22:01 »
you lot should have bought a mk1 less sqeakes  :grin:  :grin: :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

<<<opens door kicks Mr scarcastic out.

i push one of those Mk1's round tesco's each week, carrys my shopping bags well.  :wink:.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2008, 22:05 by Phil mcavity »

Offline andrewparker

• Here all the time
« Reply #68 on: 25 March 2011, 10:33 »
« Last Edit: 28 March 2011, 16:31 by andrewparker »
Current – Mk7 Golf R, Night Blue, 5dr, Manual / Mk7.5 Golf R, Indium Grey, Estate, DSG

Offline samhain1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #69 on: 28 March 2012, 21:13 »
I have a creaking noise from the steering on my 56 GTI, been there for a year since I had the car. Doesn't seem to be getting any worse although I heard a knock recently which appears by rocking the steering back and forward so could be a track rod end away. I worry that the steering rack is giving up the ghost with the creaking but it does not seem to be deteriorating and certainly doesn't grind at full left or right locks etc.

Interestingly, one poster complained about lumpy power steering when stationary or moving very slow and parking or changing direction quickly; I get this too that the power steering unit does not appear to be able to cope with a rapid change in direction from full lock one way to full lock the other....most bizzarre

The car goes in for a service next week and I have alterted them to my steering issues, hopefully it's a track rod end responsible for the knock and that's all it needs!