Author Topic: New guy. Upgrade or not, you decide  (Read 556 times)

Offline Eviljohn1

• Just got here
New guy. Upgrade or not, you decide
« on: 31 August 2021, 23:50 »
Hey guys. New to this forum. Spent 9 years driving a mk2 polo. Had a love hate relationship with it but recently had to part with it. Found myself a 2006 gt 2.0 tdi 140. Bit different to drive but i'm getting used to it. I did do some jobs on the polo myself, but not real big jobs. I don't really plan to mod it very much at all, (famous last words,) just looking to maintain it at this point. I followed the polo down an expensive rabbit hole and i want a break from that at the moment. I only have a couple things i'd like to change but i'm not in a rush to get them done.

I know this is a first/introductory post, but i do have a couple of questions if that's okay?

Unlike my polo, i'm hoping that diagnosing issues will be easier, and not some form of dark art. I have picked up an obd scanner/reader. It's a dedicated little box, not a bluetooth one. If anyone can recommend one that works well, i would be grateful. My question is as the one i have is a generic fleabay one, is it possible to format it and reprogram it to make it vw specific, to make diagnostics more specific? If it is, how would i go about doing that? It has a usb2 port on it so i'm guessing i can hook it up to my laptop.
Only issue i have with the car at this point is lumpy running and exhaust light on dash. I'm fairly certain the two are connected. Dash light went off when i changed egr valve but came back few days later. New maf sensor made no difference. Looking at the state of the egr valve that came off, my next jobs are clean out inlet manifold and egr cooler. Hopefully that will cure the lumpyness. Runs fine when you rag it, just gets a little lumpy when i'm bobbin around at 30-40mph at low revs.

Thank you for your time and for any guidance anyone is able to give. New knowledge is always much appreciated.
Keep safe.