Author Topic: Mk 8, is it all bad news?  (Read 2660 times)

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
Mk 8, is it all bad news?
« on: 19 August 2021, 16:20 »
Any one new reading this forum, i dont think would want to purchase a Mk8. Initially i had a few problems, all software related, and i was on the point of rejecting the car. My dealer was really very good and offered a full refund, after just about a month of ownership. I thought i would give it a chance, seeing as there were no new stock vehicles (mine was the last one they had) and the waiting was a minimum of 6 months. My original software was 1666, and seen to throw up problems on a daily basis, and it was famous for saying, please wait, this function is not available at the moment Since its 1668 update, it seems to be fine( fingers crossed--i hope i havent jinxed it now!). Done nearly 2000 miles, and can now say its the best Golf i have ever driven, and i have had lots. Also loving this version of the sat nav. previous models i hated the nav and would use Tom Tom or phone, but this one is a considerable  improvement.
Please comment if you are loving yours.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Mk 8, is it all bad news?
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2021, 16:35 »
I’m quite fond of mine.
Admittedly I don’t use a lot of the features that play up for others and I treat the glitches like little irritating character quirks that invoke a fondness to the little 4 wheeled fella.
Ok, in reality I just ignore the glitches like I ignore irritating people.

The actual driving dynamics of the car are superb despite DSG.
I like cars that drive well and this one drives VERY well. 
Would I buy another? No! But that’s only because I like the one I’ve got  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2021, 16:52 »
The car drives really, really well. It is a hoot. Its comfy and I think it looks good - even the minimalist interior Bauhaus styling actually is rather nice. Headlights at night are simply stunning!

Software problems though... infotainment reboots every long journey. Sometimes doesn't come back. SOS unit reboots, disabling the HUD after it comes back. Travel assist as brilliant as it is can suddenly reboot the whole system. The creaking from the drivers door drives me sooo mad that I've taken a liking to drum and bass tracks. My phone connects to the car about 50% of the time without intervention.

Do the good things outweigh the bad things? They do.... but VW need to get their sh1t sorted out and stop fobbing me off with BS.

Notice I've stopped moaning about a bad interface, nasty buttons and keep turning on the heated steering wheel  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline wizzywig27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2021, 18:17 »
Yes, lovely car but terrible software.

Offline GtiJames

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2021, 22:01 »
Software issues aside i find my CS a savagely quick car pulls just as strong as my old stage 2+ ed30 and puts the power down a lot better. However at low speeds the steering feel is non existent coming from an old r56 JCW mini, quite a firm ride but feels like it rolls quite a bit on cornering and roundabouts. It’s only when you put your foot down on the twisty roads that it comes alive and feels a lot sharper.

I got bored of the pops and bangs of sport pretty quickly so now just use individual mode which is everything in sport apart from the exhaust noise and this works well for me.

Love the look of it grows on me more and more and for what I needed a 5 door family car you can still have some fun without looking too boy racer it’s perfect.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2021, 16:28 »
Notice I've stopped moaning about a bad interface, nasty buttons and keep turning on the heated steering wheel  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Nothing says British Summer like heated steering wheel in August  :grin:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2021, 09:57 »
I love my Mark 8,

We have a family Skoda Kodiaq so most of the time i'm in on my own, yesterday we all went out in the Golf and my wife commented on how much quieter in a normal motorway cruise the car is compared to my old one. Easy to have a conversation and listen to music at a lower level than my mk7.5.

Handling dynamics are better and its devastatingly quick cross country.

Overall despite minor niggly software issues (character flaws as Exonian says) its an awesome car
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2021, 12:39 »

I got bored of the pops and bangs of sport pretty quickly so now just use individual mode which is everything in sport apart from the exhaust noise and this works well for me.

When you say exhaust noise which setting is that? Only one I thought it could be was engine noise is that the one?
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2021, 13:06 »
Yeah and on the Mk8 it does seem to actually change the exhaust note... not just the fake noise.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline GtiJames

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2021, 18:47 »
Yeah ‘Engine Noise’ is the one I meant. I put that in to comfort and the cabin noise is stopped along with the pops and bangs from the exhaust.

I watched a video of the new R and that has a ‘Pure’ mode for engine noise alongside the other options but we don’t seem to have that. Only Sport, Comfort or Eco.