Author Topic: What have you bought for your Mk8?  (Read 53710 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: What have you bought for your Mk8?
« Reply #210 on: 27 February 2022, 15:09 »
Thanks for this. Run out of time this weekend. I’ll do it as soon as I can.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #211 on: 27 February 2022, 15:50 »
Its really pretty straightforward.

Remove the fuse for the horn (fuse box under the bonnet) and take your time.

Pop off the airbag (there are 3 spring release clips at the back of the wheel) and once off, just unplug it and leave it to one side. Don't worry, it doesn't cause any dashboard errors once its re-connected.

The silver/red plastic trim is only clipped on but takes some gentle persuasion to prise off. Start at one corner, tug gently with your fingers (around the haptic buttons on one side) and once you have that side freed, the rest is easier.

Once the trim is off, you'll see the Torx screws you will need to undo to remove the existing paddles. You also need to unplug them. The new paddles are a direct swap, same torx screw, same plugs.

Put everything back in reverse order!

It's well worthwhile doing, makes the wheel look so much better and the paddles are really nice in the hand to use.

Thanks for this, I'm very tempted....but, at the same time, I'd be worried about damaging or breaking something or it not being possible to put back together like factory....

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #212 on: 27 February 2022, 16:20 »
Its really pretty straightforward.

Remove the fuse for the horn (fuse box under the bonnet) and take your time.

Pop off the airbag (there are 3 spring release clips at the back of the wheel) and once off, just unplug it and leave it to one side. Don't worry, it doesn't cause any dashboard errors once its re-connected.

The silver/red plastic trim is only clipped on but takes some gentle persuasion to prise off. Start at one corner, tug gently with your fingers (around the haptic buttons on one side) and once you have that side freed, the rest is easier.

Once the trim is off, you'll see the Torx screws you will need to undo to remove the existing paddles. You also need to unplug them. The new paddles are a direct swap, same torx screw, same plugs.

Put everything back in reverse order!

It's well worthwhile doing, makes the wheel look so much better and the paddles are really nice in the hand to use.

Exactly as Joe has said there.

The only point I’d add because it confused me at first.

The airbag springs, there’s a round peg and a straight bar going through, you use a terminal screwdriver to leaver the bar towards the centre of the steering wheel. I used my phone camera on “selfie” to see what I was doing. There’s also, three not two as volkswizard said.

Also, if you unluck the steering wheel reach adjuster, pulled fully out and fully downwards will give you maximum space.

Lastly, as joe also said, on a fast twisty road (I’ve been out today) the difference is massive, so much nicer to use through the gears.  Oh… and if you’ve it tried, “special” mode on a twist road is fantastic!! I am thinking of OBD11 to disable the sound imitation thing though. 
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline daviegsxr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #213 on: 28 February 2022, 20:11 »
Does anyone know if there is any company that supplies rubber liners for the door pockets for mk8 Golf.
Any replies appreciated and thanks in advance.
David.

Offline Sean G

• GTI forum regular

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #215 on: 05 March 2022, 18:14 »
Just a big thumbs up to EZ mods. Ordered the sun visor delete and they arrived this morning. Only ordered yesterday.
GTI Clubsport ED45 DBP, DCC, HK, WP, Pano

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #216 on: 05 March 2022, 18:22 »
Just a big thumbs up to EZ mods. Ordered the sun visor delete and they arrived this morning. Only ordered yesterday.

I’m so glad other people are buying these. Eugene was brilliant to work with.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #217 on: 05 March 2022, 18:53 »
I’m considering asking for quotes to see if the matt black bits (front grill, skirts and “defuser”) could be vinyl wrapped in gloss black.

What’s the opinions, would it work or would it look naff? I’d only do it if it looked great, no half jobs.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #218 on: 05 March 2022, 19:11 »
One of the big main dealers in Dublin has been doing a “black pack” on these cars, basically getting the matt black plastic bits all painted gloss black and the mirror caps. It does look well in photos I’ve seen but haven’t seen it in the metal. I’d wonder how well it looks up close or how it’ll stand up to wear and tear. Gloss black shows up every mark!

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #219 on: 05 March 2022, 19:44 »
Great find. I always thought the CS45 black bits would be gloss so when the car was officially revealed I was surprised. But, must admit, I’m not sure about that look in the photo. It makes it look a little like the R. Wonder how much they charge for this?