Author Topic: GTD MK8 - Have I made the wrong choice?  (Read 4767 times)

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
Re: GTD MK8 - Have I made the wrong choice?
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2021, 15:34 »
Can you still get a decent power TDI in an A3?

Audi A3 40 TDI.... same as a Mk8 GTD engine. But almost certainly with Audi tax added and probably that terrible suspension setup Audi love to build.

Had a test drive in a new A3 S Line and they have softened the suspension quite a bit compared to the old set up. Maybe Audi have got the message.......

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 06 August 2021, 14:01 »
Cannot talk about the MK 8 GTD but moved from Audi A3 Quattro to the MK 7 GTD (63 plate) and then onto an R and the TCR and can say with certainty that the GTD never ever felt it lacked overall and very much held its own, in that the essence of the what made the MK 7 great was retained completely, the cabin being a great place to be, the ride the same on DCC and despite down on BHP, the 185 BHP the MK 7 had still felt quick, certainly for normal roads, and its on the move pull with the diesel torque was again quite decent.

You basically just missing the outright pace of the GTI and R and slightly lighter handling of the GTI, when really pushing on, but little else, and when just moving around like everyone else, the driving experience differences are quite minimal, you in a nice cabin, with a great ride.

The bonus as doing more miles at time was the 55+ MPG that got on the medium to long runs, though that dipped to circa 38 MPG on local runs (context is that get about 28 MPG on local runs in present GTI)

GTD is probably the best all around car in the performance Golfs, and if was given one would be more than happy to receive.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 06 August 2021, 14:03 »
Can you still get a decent power TDI in an A3?

Audi A3 40 TDI.... same as a Mk8 GTD engine. But almost certainly with Audi tax added and probably that terrible suspension setup Audi love to build.

Had a test drive in a new A3 S Line and they have softened the suspension quite a bit compared to the old set up. Maybe Audi have got the message.......

Had 2 x Audi A3 3 Door SLine suspension, and it was love/hate, it looked great in stance, and on smooth roads it was more than fine, but on the rubbish roads of which there is many it was bone jarring, and now DCC its never go back! but good to see Audi have taken softness up a notch
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 06 August 2021, 16:23 »
If you do enough miles to warrant a diesel keep it.

Between my mk7.5 GTD and 7.5 GTI PP, I'd say they're much of a muchness, I only changed because I missed the noise. Which it all it really came down to for me 400 miles a tank vs 350 miles a tank + a nice noise.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Alienatrix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 07 August 2021, 00:28 »
Thanks everyone for your input and advise thus far.

For the last 6 years I have been used to driving diesels and intent to do so for the next 4-5 years before making the inevitable switch to some sort of EV.

I've always been of the mindset that a good diesel engine should need no more than 50%-70% press of the acceleration pedal. It should provide effortless take off and a great amount of torque resulting to some pleasant shove.

Where the A220d performs very well is on the gearbox side. Whilst the engine is on par with the GTD in term of power and torque, I have been massively impressed by its gearbox.

Honestly, unless you've driven one you won't know.

In terms of the other suggestions about getting an A3 with a 40 TDI engine, unfortunately it's not something I wish to do at this point, mainly because I placed my order for the GTD with 19s and Winter Pack in April and I've been quoted November delivery date. Any changes now mean I won't be able to get a new car until well into next year.

Due to my average 12k-15k annual mileage unfortunately petrol isn't an option.

The responses thus have restored my confidence in that I won't regret getting into a GTD.

I just hope the DSG is as good as the A220d's 8G-DCT gearbox.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 07 August 2021, 08:39 »
At 15k miles per year, (and assuming 35mpg for the GTi vs 45mpg for the GTD) the GTi will cost approx £10 per week more than the GTD.

Yes I know it all mounts up over time, but it's only really once you go beyond 20k miles per year that the savings for diesel become really significant. Even then, some of the extra cost can be claimed back from your employer if it's business mileage.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2021, 09:05 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 07 August 2021, 20:25 »
At 15k miles per year, (and assuming 35mpg for the GTi vs 45mpg for the GTD) the GTi will cost approx £10 per week more than the GTD.

Yes I know it all mounts up over time, but it's only really once you go beyond 20k miles per year that the savings for diesel become really significant. Even then, some of the extra cost can be claimed back from your employer if it's business mileage.

At 18k miles a year in my GTD with an average monthly business mileage of £100, my fuel cost me £100 for the month and I filled the GTD up with BP Ultimate. (Averaged 45mpg in Summer on 19s and 49-51mpg in  winter on 18s and winter tyres).

Side note honestly the GTD is the best in class for business use, wouldn't hesitate for to get another. The only rival against it in my eyes is a used 330d which also have a fearsome 39mpg (literally never drops from 39mpg) for a 6 cylinder
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #18 on: 09 August 2021, 16:16 »
Thanks everyone for your input and advise thus far.

For the last 6 years I have been used to driving diesels and intent to do so for the next 4-5 years before making the inevitable switch to some sort of EV.

I've always been of the mindset that a good diesel engine should need no more than 50%-70% press of the acceleration pedal. It should provide effortless take off and a great amount of torque resulting to some pleasant shove.

Where the A220d performs very well is on the gearbox side. Whilst the engine is on par with the GTD in term of power and torque, I have been massively impressed by its gearbox.

Honestly, unless you've driven one you won't know.

In terms of the other suggestions about getting an A3 with a 40 TDI engine, unfortunately it's not something I wish to do at this point, mainly because I placed my order for the GTD with 19s and Winter Pack in April and I've been quoted November delivery date. Any changes now mean I won't be able to get a new car until well into next year.

Due to my average 12k-15k annual mileage unfortunately petrol isn't an option.

The responses thus have restored my confidence in that I won't regret getting into a GTD.

I just hope the DSG is as good as the A220d's 8G-DCT gearbox.

I used to have a C220d Merc but it had the 7 speed, I had an A200d courtesy car and you're right the gearbox is brilliant. The latest software in these new DSG boxes though are fantastic super smooth and less hunting for gears and a step up in my opinion from the 7.5. There is a bit of a delay to kickdown but I don't think you will be disappointed overall.
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 24 August 2021, 19:16 »
One of my colleagues has a MK8 GTD and another has a MK8 GTE. I drove them back to back the other day and I would say that the GTE is significantly quicker. I think the GTD will probably be the least common version of the MK8 performance versions and the GTE will be the most common.

Personally between the two of them I’d buy a well spec’d GTE over the GTD as it’s faster, lower company car tax (if applicable), the same if not better MPG and you have the choice to drive in electric only.
Current and going imminently - MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack, DSG, Black

CANCELED - MK8 GTI Clubsport, Reflex Silver, 19” Adelaide Wheels, Winter Pack