Author Topic: Gti Reviews  (Read 49442 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: Gti Reviews
« Reply #330 on: 20 September 2021, 06:45 »
Interesting review about GTi parts sharing and different with 7.5 GTi performance
https://youtu.be/jSXwQ9nZD5k

That's an interesting video - worth watching.  Very disappointing that the mk8 uses same unreliable waterpump/thermostat housing unit as the 7/7.5, though.  :cry: :angry:

I’d seen this video before and had slept through most of it first time- ( It’s an informative video, but not sure I’d call it interesting!).
I managed to stay awake when I watched it second time and the comment about the thermostat housing was the interesting one for me. He did say the later mk7 versions were less failure prone.
I don’t think we’ve heard mk8 owners reporting coolant leaks?? ( I could be wrong) nor in fact later 7.5 owners??
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #331 on: 20 September 2021, 07:23 »
Interesting review about GTi parts sharing and different with 7.5 GTi performance
https://youtu.be/jSXwQ9nZD5k

That's an interesting video - worth watching.  Very disappointing that the mk8 uses same unreliable waterpump/thermostat housing unit as the 7/7.5, though.  :cry: :angry:

I’d seen this video before and had slept through most of it first time- ( It’s an informative video, but not sure I’d call it interesting!).
I managed to stay awake when I watched it second time and the comment about the thermostat housing was the interesting one for me. He did say the later mk7 versions were less failure prone.
I don’t think we’ve heard mk8 owners reporting coolant leaks?? ( I could be wrong) nor in fact later 7.5 owners??

Ha! Yes, you're correct - informative is probably more accurate.   :smiley:

The US forum has a smattering of thermostat housing failures on 2018 and later GTIs, so I'm guessing the 7.5 is not immune.  But I don't know when the latest VW part revision was, and whether that is a solution.

TBH I'm surprised that the metal t'stat housing unit (as per mk5/6) isn't yet available for the 7/7.5.  Surely there is huge demand.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #332 on: 20 September 2021, 07:41 »
I’ve read the metal housing is available, though doesn’t necessarily solve the problem. See this thread..

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/coolant-leak.362004/

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #333 on: 20 September 2021, 10:42 »

I did a fluids/pressures check a couple of days ago and my coolant level has dropped to slightly above the minimum. Have done about 600 miles since so will check again later this morning. I'm thinking it is more likely some trapped air has been shifted but I will keep an eye on it....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #334 on: 20 September 2021, 11:29 »

I did a fluids/pressures check a couple of days ago and my coolant level has dropped to slightly above the minimum. Have done about 600 miles since so will check again later this morning. I'm thinking it is more likely some trapped air has been shifted but I will keep an eye on it....

I’ve been watching mine closely since last week after the low coolant warning came on.
Level was just below minimum, though when i unscrew the cap and pressure releases, it rises to within range.
I’m fairly sure I have an airlock, there’s certainly no coolant anywhere in the engine bay.
( I did notice some condensation dripping from the AC hose)
I’ve topped up and am watching closely.
My warranty runs out in December so I’ll get it investigated if it drops again

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #335 on: 03 November 2021, 09:35 »
GTI vs 128ti vs GR Yaris on the track...

https://youtu.be/eYZVOxK7F-s

Big takeaway.... Mk8 GTI better than a Mk7/7.5... classic golf understeer is history.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #336 on: 03 November 2021, 09:58 »
I think it has been consistently praised from launch for being a better car on limit- so on track- than the 7.
Which is why savagegeese guy liked it- and didn’t like the 7.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #337 on: 03 November 2021, 10:39 »
I find my mk7 pretty neutral at higher speeds if you use the diff  to pull it round, I haven't taken it on track as it would be a waste of track time in my view, it's a sporty, practical road car.
With the considerable extra weight of the mk8, I don't think it would take too many hard laps for it to fall over as the tyres & brakes throw the towel in?

A friend has the GR Yaris in his collection of cars, it is more capable and also less practical than I expected. A  Jeckyl & hide car,, really dull if you are not on it, which could well lead to trouble when you are? :)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #338 on: 03 November 2021, 10:53 »
it's a sporty, practical road car.

Yes, that’s its raison d’etre.
I also find the handling neutral at speed, it’ll only understeer at low speed- roundabouts, particularly in cold weather.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #339 on: 03 November 2021, 11:00 »
Remember of course that's just the gti... The clubby has a different setup that should mean regardless of power increase it will handle even better
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC