Author Topic: Are VW reverting back to real steering wheel buttons?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
Re: Are VW reverting back to real steering wheel buttons?
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2022, 20:59 »
Physical buttons would be better for sure, but I can’t say I’m having any bother with the touch buttons any more, they were a little clunky to begin with, but after a while I got used to the way they work, hopefully they just change the buttons and keep the same wheel so a retrofit will be possible on earlier cars.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2022, 10:17 »
Never had a problem with mine, they are like any other haptic button.
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2022, 11:19 »
Can't say the buttons have been much of a problem after about the first hour of owning the car.

They were a problem on my test drive though.... but then again, why would i expect a totally different car to be readily usable instantly?

Thats not to say there aren't some bad user interface ideas on the Mk8 - there certainly are (as well as the bugs!).... but the steering wheel buttons aren't one of them.

If I had to pick my main annoyance its when you are listening to music on a memory stick and you go back up a directory level and it pings back to the top of the list.... thats annoying!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2022, 12:26 »
Agree, the steering wheel haptic buttons are not the main issue imo. I don't mind them at all. I like how they give you a bit more fine grained control such as sliding left/right for volume or long press versus short press, which you cannot do with traditional buttons really. If you accidentally turn on the steering wheel heating (and somehow I've never managed to do this), well a quick long press of the same button will turn it off. Its funny how no reviews ever mention this.

The main bugbear for me is the main infotainment system. The sliders for the climate / seat heating were a terrible idea. They just don't work on the move, turning the seat heaters on/off is a total faff (yes, even the double tap on sliders is a faff imo). If my wife's in the passenger seat I have to do it for her seat too... whereas with traditional buttons it was easy for her to do it herself!

However, I don't see them reversing on that interface anytime soon, as that would require significant dash redesigns and heavy re-tooling whereas swapping the steering wheel buttons is a simple, low cost "fix". They also have the same system across the entire ID range and all its Skoda/Seat cousins, so I just don't see that changing.

So, with my cynical hat on, I don't think VW will do anything that actually costs money, at least not in the short/medium term.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2022, 12:31 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2022, 06:03 »
Personal point of view, I’m no fan of the haptic pads but they function adequately. I’d welcome a return to buttons though, even if it was a mixture of the two things. Maybe that little retrograde-upgrade will be here in time for the Ed50 (not that I’d be able to afford one with the way everything has gone) along with the backlit media screen sliders that *still* haven’t been introduced.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2022, 11:14 »
hmmmm its almost like VW are just giving you some crap they already have.... Golf Life looks like this... familiar?

My chum Massimo swapped out his (non performance) Golf button based wheel for the one the GTI uses... so they are totally compatible parts, just one is "premium".
« Last Edit: 31 October 2022, 11:16 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2022, 20:03 »

Buttons look good here, badge doesn't seem quite right, not sure  :tongue:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity