Author Topic: Help to identify this please  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Nino

• I live here
Help to identify this please
« on: 16 September 2023, 19:32 »
Hey all,

Cleaning my Edition 35 yesterday, I noticed this on the rear beam, managed to get a rag on it, doesn't sell of fuel or anything (Thank god) and my next thought was oh great, maybe is brake fluid from the line running over it but it has zero smell to it and when checking my brake fluid reservoir it was on the full marker.

I am hoping its just a grease/roadgrime build up of some kind and nothing more sinister, I will try and jack the car up abit and give it all a better clean up soon as the monsoon season finishes here in Wales and see if the mess comes back but in the meantime, Would anyone have any ideas on this one?

VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Help to identify this please
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2023, 09:15 »
Looks wetter on the left, maybe running down. I suspect brake fluid but from higher up on the left of the photo.
Apart from overflow from the top of the fuel tank due to pressurisation or overfill I cannot think what else it could be back there. Its too far over for Greece from bearings etc.
What's it feel like? Blow from exhaust wetness maybe?
Clean it off with brake cleaner and see were its coming back from is all I can think.
Brake fluid would be my first guess though.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Nino

• I live here
Re: Help to identify this please
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2023, 10:09 »
Cheers for the reply.

I have just got back in as its starting to throw it down outside. I Jacked the car up and got underneath inspected everything and couldn’t see any breaks or cracks in anything. it feels like a hard sticky like subtance, almost like tar/glue. whatever it is, it has zero scent to it so I don't think its fuel (Thank god) and I checked my break reservoir and its still full. This leads me to think it might be a poor effort of someone’s attempt to underseal that has mixed with road grime as its actually all over multiple bits under the rear of the car. I clean it all up as much as I could with APC and will keep an eye onit. (Added more pictures while I was underneath)

VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door