Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 644 times)

Offline chontay

• Just got here
Hi all
« on: 10 February 2024, 08:37 »
Hello everyone, just joined yesterday. Just bought a 2002 Anniversary GTI. Not new to VW though. Had a Mk2 GTI, MK4 GTI back around 2002/3. Had a Mk6 GTI, Got a 1970 Beetle, a 2016 caddy and a 2016 R. Also building a replica 356.

« Last Edit: 10 February 2024, 08:45 by chontay »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Hi all
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2024, 21:52 »
Welcome chontay  :smiley:

That’s quite a fleet!  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline chontay

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2024, 22:14 »
Thanks Exonian, yeah I'm now out of space again on the drive  :whistle:

Got room out the front for the Caddy for now (work van). Beetle needs to go maybe this year to help finance the replica. Full resto on it about 7 years ago and had it for 13 years.

The Mk4 is such a nice drive eh. Not driven old skool power since my old EP3 Type R (which was very diffrent power), but really love the Mk4. Looks brilliant still, comfortable, nice power, simple and handles really well.
Plan is to smooth out the rough spots, keep it as stock as possible and get it to run and feel as good as it can be.

Couple of niggles. Pretty bad clutch judder pulling away. Read this can be a failing DMFW, or a replacement SMFW or possibly bad engine mounts. Appreciate any tips on this. And the handbrake snapped when I got home tonight so will be replacing both.

I've seen a full bush upgrade kit for the gear shift in the US but can't find the same kit in the UK. Any links/advice on these in the UK?   

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2024, 11:39 »
Welcome, Sounds like a DMFW do you feel vibration on idle on the dashboard or body work or hear a rattle when pulling away?
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline chontay

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2024, 17:19 »
Hi Snoopy, a little bit yes. I was on the drive today and had a little play with it to see if I could hear the chatter. It's got a bit of one yes. The other thing I keep meaining to say is the clutch pedal has huge travel before it engages. Is that related? I've booked it in at my usual VW place next week to get it looked at/sorted.
Rob