Author Topic: Black vinyl trim  (Read 57619 times)

Offline reg

• Not said much yet
Re: Black vinyl trim
« Reply #100 on: 05 May 2010, 19:39 »
tried this out today and i cant believe the results, wont be wasting money on proper cleaning products that dont do anything at all compared to this stuff for my trims again  :cool:

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #101 on: 18 May 2010, 17:48 »
does it "chemical guys New Look Trim Gel" leave any residues, or does it dry completely?

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline whiter_than_white

• Here all the time
  • Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost!
« Reply #102 on: 18 May 2010, 19:50 »
does it "chemical guys New Look Trim Gel" leave any residues, or does it dry completely?

James

doesn't leave any residue at all, not sure about it drying tho?? it still looks wet now (applied sunday lunchtime) i will check next time i go out, see how it feels

• Here all the time
« Reply #103 on: 19 May 2010, 08:13 »
Right just got into work so checked trims, and they are dry :)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #104 on: 19 May 2010, 08:26 »
looks lovely... and to be fair to some of the other products they do too when first applied... would be interested to see how long this lasts though and what happens when you wash it? :)

• Here all the time
« Reply #105 on: 19 May 2010, 19:30 »
looks lovely... and to be fair to some of the other products they do too when first applied... would be interested to see how long this lasts though and what happens when you wash it? :)

gonna wash it again on saturday so will take some more pictures to show results

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #106 on: 24 May 2010, 09:53 »
just used chemical guys New Look Trim Gel on my plastics on the mk3 and WOW  :cool:

Agreed. I don't know how good Black wow is but CG NLTG is half the price. Absolutely sod all used to do a whole car - bottle will outlast the car  :grin:

Offline mellow yellow

• I live here
  • A Driffield Dubber!
« Reply #107 on: 09 June 2010, 12:36 »
tried linseed oil (raw) at the weekend on my bumper trims and i was very impressed with the finish (i previously used simoniz spray)

linseed oil pic:

however after the past few days of rain i'm not pleased with how long it lasted, its very patchy and faded and even seems to have stripped the simoniz from underneath???

after 3 days of rain and about 100 miles...

I think i'll be giving the linseed oil a miss from now on  :shocked:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #108 on: 14 June 2010, 18:46 »
right... I have been waiting for a while before making this post as I wanted to make sure the product had some testing before I went any further

Back in April someone recommended G-techniq C4 permanent trim restorer for my mk3 trim as I was forever trying different products on it... none of which I was happy with

Now... before we go any further I will say this.. the customer service I got from G-techniq wasn't fantastic.. the order process was 'ok' but I didn't hear anything back, no response to emails etc... it was only after the 3rd or 4th emails that I heard anything... and then when I sent another follow up email I didn't get any response to that. Sorry. It might seem harsh but I would rather you guys know before you order.

Secondly... the product is expensive. And I don't just mean slightly costly... I mean, proper expensive. £24 for 15ml and £35 for 25ml. I can't think of anything else that is so expensive per ml to be honest.

Anyway... All this aside I bit the bullet and ordered... and it came through and needless to say I was shocked at how small the bottle was. I thought I had been sent a sample!  I put it aside and the next time I detailed the mk3 and got an opportunity I tried it.

I cleaned the trim and used a 00 grade wire pad on the rear spoiler as I had tried some 'forever black' on that and it had reacted badly leaving patches etc on it. I got some little applicator pads and used these for the application on the C4.

I must say that initially I was a little too liberal with the amount needed and did a quick calculation (which involved looking at the half full bottle and then the three sides of the car left) and realised that I could be far more economical. You really only a miniscule amount of this product... however... one bottle will only really be enough for one car.

The product went on easy though... very easily... and buffed up using a microfibre easily too... you have to throw away the microfibre you use though as particles crystallise in it and you cannot use it on paintwork after you have used this product.

So, its been on a couple of months now... and it looks fantastic... I really have been very very pleased with this product. The trim acts like it is brand new trim and is water repellent and looks mint.

If you are feeling flush and your trim is fcuked and you don't fancy boiling linseed oil or using boot polish then I would get this. I showed Dan the difference it made to my Caddy wing mirrors the other day and it made them look so much better instantly.

Uber expensive - yes
Finish - 5 star
Durability (so far) - 5 star
Ease of use - 5 star
Ability to make you run about like a headless chicken when you lose the top and you don't want to lose the last 5ml - priceless

this was taken a few weeks after I did it

product linky http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/c4-permanent-trim-restorer/
« Last Edit: 15 June 2010, 09:11 by Guy »

Offline rizzel

• Not said much yet
Blacking trim
« Reply #109 on: 30 June 2010, 19:54 »
Hey Guys,

Any advice on getting my trim back to black... Preferably from materials/ products that I have around the house.