Author Topic: Manual gearbox/clutch help  (Read 503 times)

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
Manual gearbox/clutch help
« on: 09 October 2022, 00:06 »
Hi all.

Had a bit of an odd one today. At the tip (gti is a great all rounder) when I parked up the car wouldn't go out of reverse. Felt like the gearstick was stuck and only with a hard pull would it come out. Haven't been able to reproduce the issue. Is this an early warning of clutch problems?
mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: Manual gearbox/clutch help
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2022, 08:02 »
Very likely the gear linkages need adjustment.

Had a similar issue in mine at just over a year old. Occasionally had difficulty selecting reverse and first gears- and sometimes struggled to release reverse. Seemed to be more of a problem on an incline.

Had it investigated under warranty- very badly actually- I was initially told it needed a full clutch assembly which wouldn’t be covered under warranty.

I didn’t accept that because I was pretty sure there was nothing wrong with the clutch.

After a brief battle with vw the problem was properly investigated and resolved- all that was required was adjustment to gear linkages. No problems since, and I have had a beautifully slick gear change.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
Re: Manual gearbox/clutch help
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2022, 09:13 »
Thanks! It's going in for service next month and still has three months of the VW approved used warranty so will get them to have a look.
mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+