Author Topic: A more comfortable ride on GTI  (Read 3080 times)

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
Re: A more comfortable ride on GTI
« Reply #20 on: 09 June 2021, 15:19 »
Maybe they’ve been honed in the last 13 or so years(?)

Personally I’d go for Bilstein gas dampers but not the full on yellow sports dampers which usually need to be paired up with lower stiffer springs due to their more track focussed valving.
I’ve been out of the modifying game a long time now so wouldn’t know what the best dampers are now but usually Bilstein and Koni can be relied on for consistent build quality.

Apparently, the renaming and relaunching was due to the fact they had a LOT of failures when they first came out, so I think you're right. :grin:

Good call, Bilstein B4's were the other option I was considering other than the sh%^&y Monroe shocks you get as standard and always a safe bet. I think I'll go that route, it's hard to go wrong with Bilstein's.

Also +1 for checking your pressures, the garage pumped my tyres up to the recommended pressures and I thought they'd broken something, much better around 36.
« Last Edit: 09 June 2021, 15:22 by baka »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 09 June 2021, 17:24 »
Yes, as Guzzle says, tyre pressures need to be lower than the recommended. They were raised for the 7.5, probably for WLTP consumption reasons. I’ve always run my 19s at 35 psi all round, with no adverse effects. Economy is still pretty good at 35 ish mpg average, the tyres are wearing evenly and the ride on fixed dampers is not what I would call harsh.

I just checked, and the recommended pressures on the door shut label are 41 psi for 2 up and 44 psi fully loaded, so a considerable drop to 35. The drive back from a service always reminds me to reset them!

My 2015 PP was recommended 41psi on 19s so there was no change with the 7.5. Unless they dropped pressures and brought them up again which seems unlikely.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #22 on: 09 June 2021, 17:28 »
Definitely was the case of my Mk7 GTD vs the Mk7.5 GTD.... on 18's.

Pressure sticker went north by a fair bit.

Like running along cobbles with hobnail boots is what it felt like at the recommended pressures....

I dropped them to what I was running before.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline matthewh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 09 June 2021, 20:40 »
I’ve always run 35psi in my 19s with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s’s, not sure what’s recommended for my particular model but I wouldn’t run them any higher than that anyway. If your looking more comfort you’d be best reducing the rim size as that’ll definitely improve the comfort and reduce noise, hurt the look for sure but each to their own  :smiley:
Current:
2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sports Pack
2016 VW GTI Clubsport S - #250
2019 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI
2020 Mini John Cooper Works GP - #2166

Gone:
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2010 VW Polo GTI

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 11 June 2021, 09:01 »
Mk7s started off being 36psi and then when all the emissions stuff and wltp kicked off new 7s and then 7.5s came through showing 41psi. It's now gone back to 36psi. All of the mk7s I've had and now my 7.5 TCR have been 36psi on the sticker.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 11 June 2021, 09:53 »
Right, 36PSI it is for me then! I'll give it a go