Author Topic: BUILDING A TRACK CAR ......WHAT PART CAN U RECOMMEND?????  (Read 5809 times)

Offline leavingeasy

• Not said much yet
Re: BUILDING A TRACK CAR ......WHAT PART CAN U RECOMMEND?????
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2008, 11:42 »
Ds2500 pads and Pagid 16 groove 280 discs- BRILLIANT combo, worked really well.

coming to some armco near you soon.....

Offline kev3dr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2008, 03:48 »
I like the idea of brembo 4 pots  :cool: 

I know of a lad running a diesel rad and a cosworth twin fan setup for cooling  :wink:
Golf SE Diesel £300
TSW alloys and tyres £50

The budget build= wanted very cheap parts
 ;-))

Offline tallchap

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2008, 10:25 »

Well, well, well....  met a couple of other Golf's at Bedford yesterday. Had a little tustle with Nick (easyliving) and Nige on separate track sessions. I couldn't stay with Nick, but then afterwards found out that he has significantly more power than me (130bhp vs. 225bhp) so I don't feel too bad about that! What happened to you car Nick? Saw you on the side of the track with the bonnet up - problems?

Had a great battle with Nige at the end of the day for about 4 laps. My car was slightly better on the brahkes and in the twisty bits, and he would slightly creep away on the straights. Found out afterwards that he has more power too (9a with c.170bhp?). Couldn't get past him, would just catch him in all the corners. All good fun!

So I don't miss out on the power stakes in future, I might have to dust the 9a off that is in the corner of my workshop and get it sent to the local engineering company for a bit of fettling.

Nick, I noticed that your car has wheel studs, with nuts - insteed of bolts - where did you get them from and can you remember how much they set you back?

Kev, Re; the Brembos, they are awesome, well worth it in my eyes. Regarding cooling, I run a standard rad with standard fan. The only cooling upgrade is the oil cooler. It does get hot, but not too hot and the car has never overheated - works just fine....

Cheers,

Martin

Offline Hypermonkey

• GTI forum regular
  • Only users lose drugs!
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2008, 17:59 »
All this talk of expensive parts like Brembo brakes is all well and good but do you really need them? I know they are nice and look the muts nuts, but if you run to a budget then there are a lot of options that can save you money in the long run and offer better track day longevity

I run a Mk1 track car with the following:

190bhp, 154ftlb, 750kgs, 253bhp/tonne

2L 16v ‘abf’ Engine with flowed head and KR cams, modified air intake, 4 branch manifold with 2.5” Jetex Rally system(90bd static so can do every circuit), Baffled sump, Lightened Flywheel,

Helix Clutch with HD pressure plate and sprung organic friction disc.

Close ratio box - 3.89 FD and Pelaquin LSD diff
with rose jointed linkage, quickshift and extended lever

Quaiffe quickrack 2.9 turns

Revised geometry - Ball joint spacers and rose jointed trackrods
To allow addition lowering without affecting factory rollcentres

Avo Coilover adjustable suspension with a selection of spring rates(am using 400 front 450 rear) and solid adjustable eccentric topmounts

Converted to studs front and rear for easier wheel changing.

Eibach Anti Roll bars

Front lower and rear upper Strut braces and polybushed throughout.

VR6/G60 front brakes (280’s) with race pads and braided hoses. I have the same discs and pads that have done a drive to the ring and 35 laps/2x Goodwood/2x Castle Combe/1x Bedford GT/ 1x Brands Indy and 2000 road miles!) and cost £100 to replace all fronts!

6 point Rollcentre cage with Harness bar

Luke Harnesses (6 point driver, 4 point passenger)

Polycarb windows and fully stripped interior, inc sound deadening and sunroof removed.

Cobra Monaco seats, (drivers side adjustable)

OMP Deep dish Corsica Wheel with Sparco 50mm spacer.

The links below takes you to my Putfile homepage. If you want to see how it compares to some serious metal see the Brands Hatch vids (2x fun with a 440bhp track set Evo 9...do the right side one first and then the left as they follow straight on..1x fun with a 400bhp trak set Scooby Type RA and 1x fun with a Lambo Superlegera and GT3 RS)
As the car is light (well until I get in 110kgs  :embarassed:) you get great performance.

http://www.putfile.com/hypermonkey/media

Drop me a line if you need any advice on parts as have a few contacts and can get some good deals and have a lot of Mk1 settings that I could share to help you set up and get a good start  :smiley:

Modified Scooby air vent as the 'cage stops the normal route of cool air  :wink:

I also have some good track day contacts and get some great prices and venues.

« Last Edit: 24 February 2008, 18:10 by Hypermonkey »

Offline tallchap

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2008, 21:41 »

It's personal choice really hypermonkey......

I prefer my car to stop and it was the first thing that I bought for the car - i didn't know about the 280 conversion at the time and I still think £400 was a bargain for 2 x Brembo 4-pots with the carrier backets for the mk2, discs and pads...... Have previously spend £hundreds on discs and pads for 'standard' set-ups and it was such a false economy. The Mk1 is sooo much lighter than the Mk2 anyway, so you can get away with your set-up no probs.

I didn't feel the need to get a quickrack as my arms work fast enough with the standard steering - and I have no idea how many turns it has lock to lock.....  the pennies I saved I spent on brembo brakes and from what I have seen, 280's are not cheap - especially when you want to fit them to Mk1 calipers - I have been looking for a set for another car I have.

Lots of people spend far more than me, my car is not big budget and it took me three years to build it up. The one thing I havn't done is spend big money on upgrading the engine - still running the 140k mile 1.8 16v..... 

Cheers,

Martin
« Last Edit: 25 February 2008, 21:51 by tallchap »

Offline leavingeasy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2008, 20:30 »
Great meeting you Martin, sorry it was oh so short!!

Ref the wheel studs, they are cheap as chips, bought them from Demon Thieves, they are M12x1.5, I think 40mm long from memory. 16 of them with nuts were less than £20 from memory.

Yeah the bonnet up issue was entirely of my own making, 200 miles of hard track use at Bedford was too much for the red stuff pads I was using and resulted in me running out of pad, boiling the brake fluid and bursting a brake caliper oil seal. Game over, no brakes! Its a hard hard track on brakes and it seems three other Golfs did a set that day! Must get the name of the ones you are using!

Nige's car has an ABF tall block in it, if he wasn't so tight and replaced that knackered exhaust he'd probably get a few more bhp out of it! That said he is really learning to pedal now considering he was a track day novice a year ago!

I have a set of Brembos sitting at home in my study from a Porsche 964 (same as those on your car) if they fit under the 15's like you say they do I might use them until my Hi-Specs can be rebuilt.

Which disc do you have, 256 or 280 and do you need to run wheel spacers?

Nick

Offline leavingeasy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2008, 20:31 »
Oh and hypermonkey, that's IanV's car isn't it.

Brilliant bit of kit- would have bought that myself when he emigrated if I wasn't so far down the road with my mk2.

Offline Hypermonkey

• GTI forum regular
  • Only users lose drugs!
« Reply #17 on: 27 February 2008, 17:48 »
Oh and hypermonkey, that's IanV's car isn't it.

Brilliant bit of kit- would have bought that myself when he emigrated if I wasn't so far down the road with my mk2.

It is Ians 'rollerskate'  :grin:

Still doing the rounds terrorising lots of expensive machines  :evil:

Offline tallchap

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2008, 16:20 »

Nick,

The brembo's do fit under 15's. I've got compomotives (not MO's but still 5 spoke) with high offset, but still need 10mm spacers on the front due to the chamfered inner rim of the wheel. I run the 305mm Ibiza disks...  it is quite a squeeze under my rims, man...

I'll check out the wheel studs, thanks. I guess I will need 50mm long ones if I have 10mm spacers...?

Cheers,

Martin