Author Topic: dirtydub - '86 8v  (Read 4016 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
dirtydub - '86 8v
« on: 31 July 2009, 14:35 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline dirtydub

• GTI forum regular
Re: dirtydub - '86 8v
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2009, 15:36 »
Thanx JV  :smiley:

Right where do I start? My grammar is poor so bear with me.

Ok so I bought my 1986 Golf Gti 8v about 3 years ago.
It had 85k miles on the clock, a 3 door in Atlas Grey just what I was looking for.
Everything was pretty tidy and she ran well but most importantly the shell was in excellent condition with nearly no rust at all.
I paid the bargain price of £400 for her and I’ve driven her everyday for the 3 years and she still runs sweet as a nut. (albeit with a few quid spent for mots services and minor tweaks) For a 23 year old car she is superb.

I have been replacing parts and tidying her up over the last couple of months but I feel its time to relieve her of the daily chores and start some proper project work.

I’ve bought a Seat Ibiza 1.4 for cheap to get me around over the winter while the work takes place.
I’m hoping to have the project complete by next summer (funds permitting) coz I don’t think I can drive that bloody thing for much longer. I hate it and I’ve only had it 2 days I’m still using the Golf to get to work coz I don’t wanna stop driving her.

I didn’t know much about mechanics before I bought the car but I’ve spent many a weekend since getting my hands dirty. I’ve learnt so much from the people on this website its wicked and the fact the old dub is like grown up Lego really helps too.

The plan is to pretty much strip everything back and replace it with new parts where possible.
Including a rebuilt 2l 8v engine with up rated internals. Not sure where I’m going with this yet but wanna keep the 8v coz I love the low end grunt. The ABF or 20vt will be in the next project car/pickup   :wink:

Think I’m gonna stick with the Atlas Grey when its time to paint. It keeps it original and I love the colour
Rich

'86 golf gti 8v k-jet project up and running :)

Offline dirtydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2009, 15:56 »
Here are some older pics

Here are some pics I took today after her bath  :smiley:

Rich

Offline dirtydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2009, 16:03 »
got loads of things on the to do list but here are some of the things I’ve done so far

Reconditioned Ported and polished head
Full Ashley exhaust system with manifold
Pipercross air filter

New
Alternator
Water pump
Oil  cooler
Gear change bushes

Various styling bits

Big bumper kit
Debadged grill
Grille eyebrow
Crystal spots
Single wiper conversion
Removed rear wiper
Removed side strips
Metal number plates
Broken headlight that looks like a crystal one  :grin: (the glass fell out today. dunno where though?)

Will be posting more as soon as work gets underway
Rich

Offline dirtydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2009, 14:18 »
Change of plan. Screw the uprated 8v ive decided to go ABF  :evil:
Had an incident with a saxo vts yesterday. He had no chance up to 75mph (off road of course) but then he started reeling me in.
Then came the sickening feeling that he easily had the power to overtake me. Simply not good enough  :sick:

So ABF it is then. Ive never dropped an engine before let alone spliced wiring etc to make the ABF work.
This is gonna be a massive learning curve for me but what the hell. Im fairly confident with my mechanics and i know its gonna be worth it.

All i need now is money, time and a bit more money  :rolleyes:
Rich