Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 654521 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #3190 on: 23 February 2023, 14:45 »
Well this happened during my last journey...

Proof that a 2009 Mk6 GTi will make it to 200,000 miles  :grin:. Though I won't go into the bits that have been repaired during my 10 year ownership to get her there, not quite "Trigger's Broom'.  :whistle: 

As a 200k mile celebration she'll get an overdue wash today!

Congratulations! I think a good spruce-up would be well deserved. I wonder if there are any other 200k mk6 GTI’s on the forum? Probably not.

And it’s good to see a nice set of analogue dials (something VW are / were very good at IMHO), rather than a one dimensional digital instrument display.

Mine is still in its training nappies at 59,000 miles!

Only had 5 months, but its been an inspired buy, very little money in context of new, nearly new, but an absolute dream to drive, and given there is 200k MK 6 out there, no reason we will not continue to run as a modern classic for another 10 years, that's the present thinking (likely only be 90,000 miles by then!)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #3191 on: 23 February 2023, 15:03 »
Good memory.
My mk6 never really got used for what I planned was it's intended purpose. Its been pampered far more than it should ever ever ever ever have been due to my changes of circumstances. Gallons of waxoyl and I then never used it in the winter.  :laugh: I stupidly keep using the Leon or van.  :undecided:  Its sat most its life in the heated garage with the mk1.. I should have sold it years ago but i could never bring myself to part with it having not used it! So sadly you are right its in showroom condition. At the moment i keep telling myself it's just a mk6. Once winter is over sell the leon and USE IT as the daily :lipsrsealed: Its embarrassing really.

Really good ones are desirable and really hold price well, imagine you could pitch into a decent mileage ED35 bracket, and legitimately ask £18000 + depending on specification. Though there is case for why would you sale it, and for what that is better without chucking a whole lot more money to move to newer and equally desirable.

There is a MK 6 Golf R on Autotrader with think 16,000 miles and the garage wants £23000 which think is probably £3k too much in todays market as can get decent MK 7 R for that, but again it shows immaculate low mileage cars have decent desirability in days where cars are losing their character model series by model series.

When say desirable, when bought mine, there was a pretty frequent turnover on Autotrader on cars nowhere near that mileage and condition, and the lower mileage and better condition models always demanded the premium ££ and again, always sold.

The reason i was looking as really wanted to run a decent MK 6 GTI given they always turned my head when saw one, a kind of a modern classic when in good condition, and sure i am not alone in that thinking. 

I was lucky as the spec wanted, White, 3 Door, Glendale, magically just popped up, with all the boxes ticked of reasonable mileage and full VW Service History and what has surprised me most is how well built it is having spent 9 years in MK 7, and how much pull and smooth that pull is?

Love the dials, media system is good enough, and leather seats are great and have just purchased some new OEM mats, so the car looks genuinely new pushing towards its 11th birthday.

Cannot see anything as a second car for the relatively little money in it, that does 3k a year which would be better, love seeing it out there, and even though drive around in my 128Ti with all the bells and whistles, always look forward to jumping in the GTI

« Last Edit: 23 February 2023, 15:04 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3192 on: 26 February 2023, 14:31 »

Congratulations! I think a good spruce-up would be well deserved. I wonder if there are any other 200k mk6 GTI’s on the forum? Probably not.

And it’s good to see a nice set of analogue dials (something VW are / were very good at IMHO), rather than a one dimensional digital instrument display.

Cheers SRGTD, she had a premium wash.  Now covered in Winter muck again.  Not sure about this forum, but on some of the others I think there were some Mk6 GTI owners past 150k.  Think they were in the U.S.  Reckon VW should do what I've seen on a Toyota Yaris.  Milestone windscreen badges at 100k, 125k, 150k miles.  :grin:

Mines a long way off, i have 183,786 to go to catch up.  :lipsrsealed:

My goodness Snoopy, that really is low mileage.  Amazing.  Does yours only come out for birthdays and weddings?  As SRGTD said your car must be in showroom condition. :cool:  Mine, she's definitely been a daily driver.

Though I won't go into the bits that have been repaired during my 10 year ownership to get her there, not quite "Trigger's Broom'.  :whistle: 
Triggers broom  :grin:

Maybe when my Mk8 Clubsport finally arrives I'll upload everything my Mk6 has had repaired or replaced :rolleyes:.  Will give a well rounded view on the total cost of ownership for a 200k+ GTI.  :wink:

Thanks Bluto will have another look at the radiator. Pressure test seems to be the next action.
Congratulations on the mileage. Quite a feat and gives me confidence to keep on motoring until the petrol runs out.

You're welcome, hope you find the black hole that's consuming your car's coolant!

Cheers, yes keep your Mk6 going.  Lots more miles left in it.

Mine is still in its training nappies at 59,000 miles!

Only had 5 months, but its been an inspired buy, very little money in context of new, nearly new, but an absolute dream to drive, and given there is 200k MK 6 out there, no reason we will not continue to run as a modern classic for another 10 years, that's the present thinking (likely only be 90,000 miles by then!)

Yours may be in training nappies Hertsman, but the Force is strong.  I think your idea of running your modern classic for another 10 years is definitely achievable.  Still in two minds whether to keep mine or sell it when the Mk8 arrives.  Maybe if she'd not done over 200k miles it would be a more attractive option? :undecided:

Today's Job

Replaced my car's battery this morning.  Old one was just under 5 years' old, wasn't causing any real issue.  But very occasionally (like once a month) she'd fail to start on first turn of the key.  Though I did wonder at the time whether Yuasa's configurator had got it right on the prevous one.  As the battery I've just replaced was a Yuasa Silver HSB013 with 62 Ah and 620 Amp.  New one is a Yuasa Silver HSB096m with 80 Ah, 740 Amp, which I'm sure was more in line with capacity and cranking amps to the original VW one. 

Anyhow had the usual steering wheel light come on that I had to clear on first start with the new battery by turning the wheel full left and right full lock.  Plus had to do each of the electric windows to the bottom and top again to get the one-touch window up/down function to work.  Oh and the Pioneer headunit lost a few settings.   
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3193 on: 26 February 2023, 19:00 »
Original one is 60Ah , 280A Din , 480A EN/SAE  part no. 5K0915105D most were by Varta but like the tyres they had a few suppliers.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3194 on: 19 March 2023, 15:25 »
Busy day taking advantage of the weather. Brake caliper pins cleaned and greased, wheels cleaned and sealed and car snow foamed and waxed. MOT on Tuesday!
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #3195 on: 19 March 2023, 15:56 »
You have to put the front wipers into the service position to be able to lift them up, yeah. I forget every time I wash the car. Turn ignition to position 2, then off again, then push wiper stalk down to activate service position.

Once the wipers are in the service position and lifted away from the screen to be able to remove the old / fit the new wiper blades, I’d recommend laying something like a thick towel on the screen, in case the wiper arm falls back down onto the screen after the old blade’s been removed. If it does do this and nothing’s been put on the glass to protect it, the metal end of the wiper arm can crack the windscreen.

Been there, done that on the wife’s Mk4 many years ago. Now I have a cut off piece of 16mm foam pipe insulation to stick onto the end of the arm👍
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #3196 on: 21 March 2023, 18:18 »

Today's Job[/u]

Replaced my car's battery this morning.  Old one was just under 5 years' old, wasn't causing any real issue.  But very occasionally (like once a month) she'd fail to start on first turn of the key.  Though I did wonder at the time whether Yuasa's configurator had got it right on the prevous one.  As the battery I've just replaced was a Yuasa Silver HSB013 with 62 Ah and 620 Amp.  New one is a Yuasa Silver HSB096m with 80 Ah, 740 Amp, which I'm sure was more in line with capacity and cranking amps to the original VW one. 

Anyhow had the usual steering wheel light come on that I had to clear on first start with the new battery by turning the wheel full left and right full lock.  Plus had to do each of the electric windows to the bottom and top again to get the one-touch window up/down function to work.  Oh and the Pioneer headunit lost a few settings.

Did my battery today, replaced a five year Exide with another Exide, French branded Fulmen 64ah 640a
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3197 on: 22 March 2023, 09:15 »
MOT completed. No advisories. Feedback was very clean car. Surprised at the condition of the original brake discs given the mileage. Garaged all its life probably helped.:smiley:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3198 on: 01 April 2023, 20:22 »
MOT completed. No advisories. Feedback was very clean car. Surprised at the condition of the original brake discs given the mileage. Garaged all its life probably helped.:smiley:

Ah that warm fuzzy feeling of passing the MOT test with no advisories.  Nice. I'm sure your wallet felt safer when you heard that joe6?  :grin:  Having seen photos of your Mk6, I'm not surprised on the good feedback, looks mint. 

Got my winter wheels and shoes swopped back over to the Monza Shadows and summer shoes.  Had the wheel alignment checked too, which showed it needed adjusting, a fair bit actually.  Clearly the amount of pot holes in the county has taken its toll on my car since November - must try harder to dodge more! :rolleyes:
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3199 on: 02 April 2023, 16:40 »
Wallet still a lot lighter from the road fund. Almost as much as the insurance! Bought new bonnet insulation. Got fed up with the gaffer tape coming loose on the old one.