Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 653963 times)

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2290 on: 06 January 2015, 11:37 »
As I'm one of the poor halogen bunch I fitted some new Philips Xtreme Vision Plus 130 in the dipped beam to hopefully help a bit with the night driving that inevitably you end up doing more of this time of year. Been meaning to switch the bulbs for ages after deciding that an OEM xenon retrofit is just not feasible :cry:.
Please let us know what you think, I've been toying with the same ...... Those bulbs got good reviews

Only driven once in the dark since typically! Bulbs definitely seemed brighter, although they were well lit roads so I need to get out round some unlit B-roads to really give an opinion. I'll try and get some pics too.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2291 on: 06 January 2015, 16:03 »
Washed it and taken it for it's 3rd MOT. It did a massive 6,500 miles last year  :shocked:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2292 on: 06 January 2015, 17:17 »
Drove it for the first time to its new commuting location 5 miles away (round trip 10).

Air Temp 8 degrees
Water Temp, not 90 degrees
Oil Temp, 59 degrees
39mpg
Top Speed 55mph
Climate off - heated seats on (not all the way).

This is compared to its old commute of 28 miles (round trip 56).

I dread to think what it would be like if it was properly cold (oil temp probably wouldn't register).

Where is that mk7 brochure? for GTI and R. The GTD is after all nearly 5 years old and 79k on the clock.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2293 on: 06 January 2015, 19:25 »
Drove it for the first time to its new commuting location 5 miles away (round trip 10).

Air Temp 8 degrees
Oil Temp, 59 degrees
39mpg
Top Speed 55mph
Climate off - heated seats on (not all the way).

This is compared to its old commute of 28 miles (round trip 56).

I dread to think what it would be like if it was properly cold (oil temp probably wouldn't register).

Where is that mk7 brochure? for GTI and R. The GTD is after all nearly 5 years old and 79k on the clock.

Time to chop it in for that R then  :wink:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2294 on: 06 January 2015, 20:07 »

Air Temp 8 degrees
Oil Temp, 59 degrees

Time to chop it in for that R then  :wink:

Would love an R but the price puts me off at the moment. Its more likely a GTI PP but a mk6 R could be a contender if I could find a good priced, good example.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2295 on: 07 January 2015, 08:40 »
The thing is tho' you may only be getting 39mpg due to the conditions, but a petrol would just about do that on the long run with all the moons and stars aligned. On a similar journey you'd see mid 20's from a petrol???

My MOT tester, who I've known for 20+ years, keeps dropping hints about wanting to buy my GT, and yesterday was no different. When I got home I'd had an email from the local dealer with some of their offers. I could either knock a £17k hole in my savings and have a new car, or sell mine, have some change from the maximum PCP deposit, pay hardly noticeable monthly payments for 3 years and then be left with a bill for £13k or no car. No thanks. I wouldn't mind changing it for a DSG of some description, but paying much less to change, but then I wouldn't know where the new car had been.

My problem (if you can call it that) is I tend to look after my cars so well that I am reluctant to let anyone else have the benefit of all my efforts, or couldn't bear to see it driven round looking like a sh!t tip. That's why I end up keeping them for ever.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2296 on: 07 January 2015, 17:02 »
I agree with all of that but I am wondering how long it is before my DPF starts to whinge. I don't really want to change for anything more than 10k. Never owned a Gtii or an R so it would be nice. 5yr old issue is key 4 new tyres required, cam belt water pump,  80k mile mot, never replaced any brakes yet, shocks? Knochy gearbox.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2297 on: 07 January 2015, 17:20 »
My view is that even if our 5 year old cars need £2k spending on it in the near future, that is a lot less than changing the car. Some would see that as wasted money as it could be 20% of the value of the car, but I would say it gives the piece of mind that you'll have a good car under you for another few years for a reasonably small outlay.

Offline MartinrobGTi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2298 on: 07 January 2015, 18:47 »
Fitted the rns510 in but its sent my car into complete meltdown! :( wont start or anything now! Wether its a faulty unit or not? Help pleasee???  Followed the steps to fit it exactly the same as they said on this forum!:cry: :cry: :embarrassed:
Golf Mk6 GTi | Candy White | RNS 510 | Revo Stage 2 | Pipercross Stage 2 Intake | Milltek Cat Back 3" Race System Non Resonated | 3" Pipewerx Downpipe & 200 Cell Sportscat | H&R Sport Springs | 18" Monza Shadows | Rear LED Tail Lights | Wind Deflectors | NGK Iridiums | Sachs Race Clutch

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2299 on: 07 January 2015, 21:16 »
I assume you disconnected it briefly and tried again, just didn't spend three hours fitting it and flattening the battery by leaving the lights, doors open e.t.c.