Author Topic: Xenon headlight height adjustment  (Read 4785 times)

Offline orca

• GTI forum regular
Xenon headlight height adjustment
« on: 15 October 2008, 23:19 »
Took my car in for its first service the other day.  Only cost £150 which I thought wasn't too bad.  I asked them to look at my headlight level as it seemed a bit on the high side - I get the occasional flash from oncoming traffic and signs on motorways are lit up to near the top.  They said it was a bit on the high side and adjusted it.  But they seem to be on the low side now.  On dark unlit roads, the beam only lights up about 15 to 20 metres in front of the car with a sharp cut off point.  It is hard to see bends/corners now.

Is it easy to adjust the height of the Xenons yourself or would it be better to take it back to the dealer (or a different dealer)?  I think it would only require a very small adjustment.  I thought there was once a posting about adjusting the levels of Xenon lights here but I can't find it.

Cheers.

Offline Cass

• I live here
Re: Xenon headlight height adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2008, 23:56 »
I'm sure there is a screw adjustment for Xenons in the area of the headlights - they are of course self levelling at start up, but I also get flashed by oncoming drivers. Not part of dealer service regime but is an MOT issue. Work that one out :rolleyes:

Cass
Now: VW Touareg Altitude V6 TDI 3.0 240 bhp, Diamond Pearlescent Black
Previous: MY2007 GTI, 3 door, manual, pearlescent black and lots of toys - gone to a good home : )

Offline neg

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2008, 00:17 »
There is a manual adjustment , you can also adjust it to some degree using VCDS as I had to adjust mine after fitting the H&R springs - the lights were too high do I ran a rest procedure which seemed to do the trick.

Offline mrlapou

• GTI forum regular
  • Mean GTi
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2008, 09:33 »
This is an extract from VW's workshop manual. PM me and I'll send a pdf with pics.

Headlight adjustment: Check
t   Checking headlight adjustment → Chapter
t   Headlights with gas discharge lamps, perform basic setting → Chapter.
t   Adjusting headlights → Chapter
t   Adjusting fog lights and other additional lights → Chapter.
Checking headlight adjustment
Special tools and workshop equipment required

t   Headlight adjustment unit -VAS 5046- or
t   Headlight adjustment unit -VAS 5047-
Checking and adjusting prerequisites:
t   Tyre pressures OK.
t   Lenses must not be damaged or dirty.
t   Reflectors and bulbs OK.
t   Vehicle must be loaded.
The vehicle must be rolled forward or backward several metres or front and rear springs must be bounced fully several times so that springs settle.
t   Vehicle and headlight adjuster must be on a level surface
t   Vehicle and headlight adjuster must be aligned.
t   Inclination must be set.
–   Observe headlight adjuster operating instructions!
Inclination information in “%” is stamped into trim above headlight. Headlights must be adjusted according to this information. Percentage given is based on a projection distance of 10 metres. For example: inclination of 1.0 % converts to approx. 10 cm.
Notes on vehicles with halogen headlights with manually regulated headlight range control
t   The headlight range adjuster thumb wheel must be in basic setting -0-.
Loading: With one person or 75 kg on the driver seat and the vehicle otherwise unloaded (unladen weight).
The unladen weight is the weight of vehicle ready for operation with a full fuel tank (at least 90 %) including weight of all equipment usually carried (e.g. spare wheel, tools, jack, fire extinguisher etc.).
If the fuel tank is not at least 90 % full, then load as follows:
–   Read level of fuel in fuel tank on fuel gauge. Determine additional weight from following table and place weight in luggage compartment.
Fuel gauge table

Fuel
gauge Additional weight
in kg
1/4 30
1/2 20
3/4 10
Full 0

Example:
When the fuel tank is half full an additional weight of 20 kg must be placed in the luggage compartment.
  NoteThe additional weight is best produced using fuel canisters filled with water (a 5 litre fuel canister filled with water weighs approx. 5 kg).
Notes on vehicles with headlights with gas discharge lamps
  NoteBefore adjusting headlights on vehicles with headlights with gas discharge lamps, the fault memory must be read, cleared and the headlight range control must be set to basic setting using vehicle diagnosis, testing and information system -VAS 5051- or vehicle diagnosis and service information system -VAS 5052- → Chapter.
Checking headlight adjustment
Please check the following:

–   Whether, with the dipped beam switched on, the horizontal light/dark border contacts the dividing line -1- of the test area and
–   Whether the breaking point -2- between the horizontal part of the light/dark border on the left and the rising part on the right lies on the vertical line of the central point -3-. The bright core of the light beam must be to the right of the vertical line.
  Notet   To simplify finding the breaking point -2-, cover and uncover left (from driver perspective) half of the headlight a few times. Then check dipped beam again.
t   After correct adjustment of dipped beams, the centre point of the main beam must lie on the centre mark -3-.

t   For the previous test screen with 15° setting line, adjust as for new test screen. To avoid incorrect settings, ignore the 15 ° setting line.

Checking headlight adjustment on fog lights:
–   Check whether the upper light-dark border touches the setting line and runs horizontally over the entire width of the test screen.
Other additional lights:
Additionally retrofitted lights of other systems must be checked or set according to valid guidelines.
Headlights with gas discharge lamps, perform basic setting

–   Connect diagnosis tester → Chapter.
–   Switch on ignition.
–   Press “Guided fault finding”.
Enter vehicle data, all control units will be read.
–   Press following keys/designations in sequence given:
t   GoTo
t   Function/Component Selection
t   Body
t   Electrical system
t   01 - Systems capable of self-diagnosis
t   55 - Dynamic headlight range control
t   J 431 - Dynamic headlight range control, functions
t   J 431 - Control unit for headlight range control, basic setting
t   Press → button.
–   Follow the sequence of tester and confirm entry until the following text appears:
J 431 - Control unit for headlight range control, basic setting
t   Press → button.
–   Follow the sequence of tester and confirm entry until the following text appears:
J 431 - Control unit for headlight range control, basic setting
–   Follow the sequence of tester.
–   Now check headlight adjustment and adjust if necessary.
–   Complete the function programme J431 - control unit for headlight range control, basic setting.
  NotePlease check also that both headlights move evenly when the manually operated headlight range control is operated.
–   Adjusting headlights → Chapter
Adjusting headlights
t   General information on gas discharge lamp lighting systems → Anchor
t   Adjusting left headlight, Golf 2004 ► → Anchor
t   Adjusting left headlight, Golf Plus 2005 ► → Anchor
General information on gas discharge lamp lighting systems 
The gas discharge lamp system uses xenon-filled bulbs.
For this reason the headlights with gas discharge lamps are also called xenon headlights.
There are different headlight versions:
t   â€œXenon” headlights
“Xenon” headlights means that the dipped beam is generated from “one” gas discharge lamp.
“Xenon” headlights have an “additional main beam”.
t   â€œBi-xenon” headlights
“Bi-xenon” means that both the dipped beam and the main beam are generated from a “single” gas discharge lamp.
Therefore on “bi-xenon” headlights the main beam is automatically adjusted together with the dipped beam.
“Bi-xenon lighting systems” are always fitted with a headlight range control and a headlight washer system.
t   AFS headlight system
The AFS system is a lighting system with headlights, gas discharge lamps and static cornering light.
  Note     
t   Vehicles with cornering light (static cornering light) can be identified by an additional reflector -arrow- between turn signal -1- and dipped beam module -3-.
t   The static cornering light only functions in conjunction with the dipped beam.
AFS means Adaptive Front Lighting System
The headlights with gas discharge lamps and cornering light have no “additional main beam”.
Therefore on the “AFS headlight system” the main beam is automatically adjusted together with the dipped beam.
  NoteBefore adjusting headlights on vehicles with gas discharge headlights, perform basic setting using diagnosis tester → Chapter.
Adjusting left headlight, Golf 2004 ► 
The adjustment bolts for the right headlight are a mirror image.

t   First adjust the height adjustment bolt -1- for dipped beam and main beam, to light-dark border of test area in display of tester.
t   Then adjust the lateral adjustment bolt -2- for dipped beam and main beam, to light-dark border of test area in display of tester.
Adjusting left headlight, Golf Plus 2005 ► 
The adjustment bolts for the right headlight are a mirror image.

t   First adjust the height adjustment bolt -A- for dipped beam and main beam, to light-dark border of test area in display of tester.
t   Then adjust the lateral adjustment bolt -B- for dipped beam and main beam, to light-dark border of test area in display of tester. To do this, use socket -T10197-.

Offline orca

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2008, 19:50 »
Thanks for the pdf mrlapou.  It looks a bit scary but I might give it a quick try.  I think it only needs a small height adjustment.  Anyone else got any experience of adjusting their Xenons?

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2008, 20:29 »
This is an extract from VW's workshop manual. PM me and I'll send a pdf with pics.

Do you have the entire workshop manual?