Author Topic: Would you ever go back?  (Read 2931 times)

Offline billy2shots

• Not said much yet
Would you ever go back?
« on: 23 June 2010, 08:54 »

Over the last 5 years i have been lucky enough to have had some great cars (mkV Gti, mkV R32, Corsa VXR, Mazda 6 MPS), but now i am seriously thinking about returning to a mkV Gti. The thing is, and please don't flame me for this, we all know the Gti is not the fastest car in the world or the best looking or the best handling. However it just does everything so bloody well. I have recently had my first baby so i need a car that is practical but still fun when i want it to be, i dont want it to shout look at me and atract jealous yobs, i want it to be big enough for my needs and dont need a massive 4x4 to carry a tiny baby and one pushchair. It needs to be fun and entertain me but i dont want to average 20-23mpg like i have been doing.

Long story short and a couple of hours on autotrader left only one option for me. The Gti.

Now here is my question, has anyone returned to the mkV and what are your thoughts or has those that have left regretted their decision?

One final point, i have been thinking if i do come back i may stretch to an Edition 30 so as to have something a little different. Any thoughts from owners that have had both or driven both for a long period.

Many thanks in advance for any input.
MkV Gti
MKV R32
Now Gti Pirelli

Offline JulesS3

• GTI forum regular
Re: Would you ever go back?
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2010, 10:05 »
I was in your position mate and looked at another MK5 R32, but couldnt justify such a big spend on the same car i had so went for an S3. Same 4wd i loved but tunable engine and better build.
Worth a look as you can pick them up for under £20k now!

If you do go GTI though then deffo ED30!

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2010, 10:11 »
Saint Steve left the MKV for a Passat and that didnt last long, before he knew it he was back in a MKV and this time an ED30 so Im sure he will have some comments on "coming back" when he sees this post.

I cant see me getting rid of my MKV for some time, its just a cracking car, I do however keep toying around with the idea of going "back" to the MK4 but the Anni one as I love them. For the next year at least the MKV is staying.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2010, 10:11 »
ED30 all the way or a white S3 !! :cool:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2010, 10:12 »
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, if your budget can afford it the ED30 is the only way.

Steve has an obsession with white. Black ftw :D

Offline JulesS3

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2010, 10:13 »
ED30 all the way or a white S3 !! :cool:

:wink:

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2010, 10:36 »
we all know the Gti is not the fastest car in the world or the best looking or the best handling. However it just does everything so bloody well.

^^^ Nail. On. The. Head. You already sound convinced.  :grin:

white S3 !!

^^^ how original, Steve! ...Sprint blue S3 Black Edition mapped to 300bhp+, FTW!
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline JulesS3

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2010, 10:38 »
we all know the Gti is not the fastest car in the world or the best looking or the best handling. However it just does everything so bloody well.

white S3 !!

^^^ how original, Steve! ...Sprint blue S3 Black Edition mapped to 300bhp+, FTW!

But then you have to have those weird upside down LED lights!

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2010, 14:13 »

white S3 !!

White ED30 if you can find one?? They look the Bo**LIcks :smug:

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2010, 14:19 »
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, if your budget can afford it the ED30 is the only way.

Steve has an obsession with white. Black ftw :D

Alan got to be a white ED30 mate , black looks nice aswell , they are much more rare in white :smug: