Author Topic: wow first test drive  (Read 2647 times)

Offline winrya

• Here all the time
Re: wow first test drive
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2009, 21:03 »

The threads about the comparison (not directly) of both the MC and GTI. The GTI beats it in every way, end of.

Think we'll have to disagree on that one.  My other half drives a cooper s with lsd so i drive both quite often.  As a motorway cruiser and allrounder the gti is better, for a quick thrash, id take the mini everytime.  I've also never seen anything but a brilliant review for the cooper s and everyone i know thats had a mini has replaced it with another, and another which says a lot.  I still drive a type r every so often with 61k on the clock and still feels like new.  Lovely car and a bargain compared to the mini and gti but its starting to feel out dated and out classed

Jkctr

« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2009, 22:22 »
Fair enough mate, they have sold loads of the things so alot of people like them! Great thing about cars is the amount of differing opinions means there will always be lots of types offering different things  :grin:

Offline No Golf Clubs at all

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 18 January 2009, 22:39 »
I used to own a mini, that's where I got my screen name from, cos I couldn't fit golf clubs in the car.... Anyway to get back on point. I found the mini a good car, whilst it had nothing like the acceleration of the gti it handled the twisties way better with almost zero body roll.  To get similar in the gti I would need to tighten up the suspension.  Mini gave me 3 years of hassle free driving, it cost me £16k and I sold it for £10k. My golf has lost that in a year ! Credit crunch pain though so that is not exactly a fair comparison......

Let the fun begin........Red Gti, full colour coding, DSG, Xenons, Winter pack, Lux pack, Highline, Sat Nav, Sunroof, Leather, Milltek, ABT rear valance, Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics....pescaras :-)

Offline Jimp

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 18 January 2009, 22:56 »
One thing that really got me with the Mini was legroom! Friend of mine has a Mini One and I only fit in the front seats and not at all in the back. The Golf fits my lanky frame without crushing whoever is in the back. Fun little thing but I would never swap the Golf for one.
That and it doesn't have the same mid the range pull. Wheee!  :laugh:
Not low enough mk5
Not on the road enough mk3

Offline matsu

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 19 January 2009, 11:20 »
wow . that opened a can of worms :grin:

i,ll still test em all but i think i,m sold on the golf already, but if theres that mucho moolah difference then i might be suaded elsewhere....................mmmm doubt it :wink:

i got about 10k sorted and on pistonheads and autotrader there are some nice spec ones coming in and not too higher mileage anymore.
the one i drove yesterday was 15k and stunning but ive seen as good if not more spec'd for about 11k
if this credit crunch bited deeper and the new plates and new mkvi have their impact i should find what i,m looking for....

black(poss steel grey....last resort dk blue)
3dr
leather
18"monzas
dsg or manual(but want dsg now ive played)
armrest
tints
aircon

and anything else is bonus for me... like ipod and 6 disc changer etc. oh and a sunroof would be reaaly cool i miss a sunroof
have i missed anything major? :shocked:

thanks for all the help guys
matsu

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2009, 15:31 »
Get the highline trip computer as it is a cheap option, but invaluable. I forgot when I ordered mine :embarassed:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline illyun

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2009, 16:54 »
Get the highline trip computer as it is a cheap option, but invaluable. I forgot when I ordered mine :embarassed:

you haven't got the highline ?!  :shocked: :shocked:
Mk1 GTI Campaign, Mk5 GTI Edition 30, Mk6 GTI (Coming Soon...)

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2009, 19:01 »
I never got highline either but then I'd have to wait 18 months for a stock GTI rather than the ED30 I drove off with two weeks later.

NM - I'm going for vagcom+netbook soon. Hopefully. Might be after the respray and alloy refurb though.

Offline mortygt140

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2009, 19:36 »
Stealthwolf Ive just bought an Acer Aspire one 150 and installed Vista Basic ive also got Micro-can.  Amazon are doing the aspire one 150 with a 1gb ram and 120gb sata hdd but only has linux which Ive never used so installed vista it runs very quick but it was a pain to load up cos it has no internal cd drive. 

Darren

Offline SO8

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 19 January 2009, 22:02 »
Check out an mazda 3 MP3, one of the fastest hot hatches about with understated looks and good handling. Im not a huge fan of the looks but there a very good car!

Or just go for the MK5 gti, you wont be disappointed and i can assure you none of the other above cars are a step up!

Mazda 3 MPS is very underrated ... I drove one and was very impressed - it felt far quicker in a straight line than my std Edition 30 DSG .... Plastics were hard and looks a bit odd but very nice to drive.  It's performance is best described as like it is remapped straight out of the factory - it feels just like a remapped Golf as std  :evil:

Why did I buy a Golf if the Mazda was quicker and so good ..... well the quality is in a different league - and I wanted DSG  :smiley: