Author Topic: BHP  (Read 3422 times)

Offline scotty4

• GTI forum regular
BHP
« on: 09 June 2005, 15:18 »
this might sound daft as i am not getting my car until october, but what are the possibilties of increasing the bhp. is there a chip or tune i could get? will it affect the handling? do you think it will be a good idea?
MK5 GTI BLUE GRAPHITE 3 DOOR

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re: BHP
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2005, 15:33 »
what model you getting dude?

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline scotty4

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2005, 20:57 »
golf gti mk5

Offline rega3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2005, 14:27 »
this might sound daft as i am not getting my car until october, but what are the possibilties of increasing the bhp. is there a chip or tune i could get? will it affect the handling? do you think it will be a good idea?
I may be wrong, but I think the chip in the new MK5 GTI is quite difficult to remap, deliberately done to stop modifications, however, it may be possible to change the chip altogether, but you would need to talk to someone more knowlegable than me about that!!

I suppose you can always improve the handling, but I have found the car to handle really well already as standard. One of the tuning companies in the UK has already done some work on a standard GTI I cant remember which one but it was featured in one of the VW magazines a couple of months ago, Tornado Red. Someone on here must have seen the article, I think they got another 50 bhp out of the engine at least.

Ray

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2005, 15:06 »
http://www.revotechnik.com/index.aspx

or

http://www.amdtechnik.com/products.variant.cfm?variantid=76

270 bhp enough?

try these fellas :wink: They've already built a project round the mk5 gti
« Last Edit: 10 June 2005, 15:08 by monkeyalan »

Offline scotty4

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 10 June 2005, 19:34 »
cool, cheers guys. :cool:

Offline scotty4

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 10 June 2005, 19:41 »
when you get it remaped, can it f@~k :evil: up the engine, does it cause damage-     eg-gearbox

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 June 2005, 19:57 »
In theory, i suppose so. I doubt any decent tuner would mod  your car if they thought it might f**k up tho' , wouldn't be a good business move. As  I understand most engine/drivetrain components on cars like the mk5 gti are hugely overengineered anyway and capable of dealing with much more power than they have in standard form. If you're unsure have a chat with the guys at AMD or  Revo and i'm sure they'll put your mind at rest without trying to put the hard sell on you. Enjoy your new car when you get it anyway.......you jammy bastard :wink:

Offline scotty4

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2005, 20:03 »
cheers mate, cant wait

Offline simmo72

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2005, 12:14 »
if you can find and ABT dealer in uk they do a fully recgonised by vw chip fitted to tune it, as local vw garage here in germany tried to sell me one when enquiring about european headlights for my gti, which i pick up fri can wait!!! :laugh: