Author Topic: Top speed  (Read 21904 times)

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
Re: Top speed
« Reply #80 on: 22 August 2009, 12:31 »
Am I the only one who thinks this is utter BS?  :rolleyes:

TT

Not altogether sure why I'd post this if it was BS.
As I said in the original post the speed of 159mph was witnessed by myself and front passenger.
I have much better things to do with my time than make things up, just thought some on here may be interested or have done similar themselves.

Maybe you should try this for yourself on an unrestricted road before you place this type of comment.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2009, 16:56 by GolfTi »
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #81 on: 22 August 2009, 18:08 »
maybe this will help...  :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cpiQHefac8

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #82 on: 22 August 2009, 18:14 »

that was an indicated 265 kph = 164.7 mph - knock off about 5% as I find speedos are nearly always optimistic, and that gives approx 156mph

was this a standard Mk5?
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #83 on: 22 August 2009, 18:29 »

that was an indicated 265 kph = 164.7 mph - knock off about 5% as I find speedos are nearly always optimistic, and that gives approx 156mph

was this a standard Mk5?

that what it says... although how std we dont know :undecided:

When I got to speed in mine it was hungry for more!! defo still pulling when I hit 150.. but its not a gti so  :tongue:

Offline Spaced

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #84 on: 22 August 2009, 19:19 »
I have had an indicated £1.52 it felt about £1.40 in real money :wink: which is about right for a standard GTI.

Loyal owner since 2005, done with remapping, I drive a Golf not a Veyron. (hypocrite)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #85 on: 22 August 2009, 21:26 »

Interesting TT.  I got my remap done at 1500 miles, you reckon that's too early?  Why is that?

Like I said, the engine won't be 'truely' run in.  You'll be surprised just how much VAG engines free up after around the 10k mark.  I don't know if you looked at the thread on the results of the last JKM RR day - my otherwise completely standard (well apart from uprated intercoolers, but nowt else) made sommat like 207 bhp on the rollers, when the standard GTI bhp is 197 bhp.  And whenever it went into the stealers, they always asked me if it had a remap (which it hadn't until this years Inters), because they said it went like stink compared to any other standard GTI.

Revo reckoned my car was 225bhp stock and 275 odd mapped, not sure if that sounds a bit optimistic of the stock setting?

What are the stock bhp for the Mk6?  I know that the PS figure is 211, but that is very slighly different to our 'imperial' bhp.  Anyway, the only real figures which count are the 'difference'.

I do make sure the oil temp is 80 plus before I start giving it any beans but I would admit to driving it in with enthusiasm but not stupidity.

I was always advised that 85 deg C is when oils really start to become on song - but what is 5 deg C between mates?  :tongue:  :grin:  Seriously though, do you happen to know where the oil temp sensor is on the Mk6 mota?  On the Mk5, it is from the combined oil pressure/temp sender - but I can't remember where in the 'circuit' it is - so the oil in the sump may still be a touch cooler.  And have you noticed if the oil and water temps increase at roughly the same rate?  :nerd:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #86 on: 22 August 2009, 21:28 »
^^^^ just to add the oil temp is in the mfd so is much easier to access now

Well that is a welcome bonus. :afro:

But I wonder where VW stole that idea from -  - a hint is in my sig!   :tongue:
Mk1 golf GTI  :wink:

not in the mfd!  :tongue:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #87 on: 22 August 2009, 21:43 »
Am I the only one who thinks this is utter BS?  :rolleyes:

TT

Not altogether sure why I'd post this if it was BS.
As I said in the original post the speed of 159mph was witnessed by myself and front passenger.
I have much better things to do with my time than make things up, just thought some on here may be interested or have done similar themselves.

Was that what the speedo said?  Because, don't forget that most car speedos overread by upto 10% - so your genuine top speed would have been around 143 to 145 mph, which is what the GTI is geared for.  If you were to go faster than that (if you actually could overcome the aerodynamic resistance), then you would simply be bouncing off the rev limiter in top gear.

Maybe you should try this for yourself on an unrestricted road before you place this type of comment.

I have.  OK, not in a Mk6, but I have in my Mk5, RS4, S4, Vectra GSIs, and a few other high powered cars - all on the A-bahns in Germany.  And I can assure you two things - firstly, ALL speedos get very inaccurate when above 100-120 mph, and secondly, ALL cars with a straight down back end (such as the Golf, and estate cars in general) all suffer from poor aerodynamics - which is why all 'saloons' can reach higher top speeds compared to their identical spec 'estates'.  :nerd:

Oh, and sorry it I came across as any kind of 'personal attack', because I didn't mean it like that.  :embarassed:  It is just the general pi$$-taking relaxed sense of humour this forum enjoys - thankfully, JV and his crew haven't (yet) employed any 'humor police'.  :lipsrsealed:  :grin:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #88 on: 22 August 2009, 21:58 »

True its in the MFA  :tongue:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/flogitg/AudioNetPhoto/DSC00287.jpg
« Last Edit: 22 August 2009, 22:05 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #89 on: 22 August 2009, 22:15 »

True its in the MFA  :tongue:

Well, I never knew that!  :embarassed: :embarassed:  But then the last time I worked on a Mk1, the GTI wasn't even born!  :lipsrsealed:
-----

I feel like a homo