Author Topic: Emergency SOS display icon on!!  (Read 12637 times)

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
Emergency SOS display icon on!!
« on: 01 June 2019, 10:50 »
Morning all

Had the emergency SOS light up.on my car last night. Had an update added on Wednesday by VW and all was ok on that day, then Friday it came up again, but didn't come up at all on a 7 mile trip in the evening?   Have to rebook at VW to be looked at. Not sure if there is a reset option somewhere or a facility to disable the SOS facility?Not very happy at present

Thanks all

Offline Welshchris

• Just got here
Re: Emergency SOS display icon on!!
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2019, 16:48 »
Interesting. I’d like to know the answer to this one too. Collected a brand new GTI yesterday and I’m getting intermittent warnings. The light next to the button is mostly green but occasionally goes red.

What’s the tech behind this system? - does it work using your mobile?
Golf GTI Mk1 (gone)
Golf GTD Mk7 (gone)
Golf GTI Mk7.5 (about to go)
T-Roc R (arriving at some point!)

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2019, 18:27 »
Interesting. I’d like to know the answer to this one too. Collected a brand new GTI yesterday and I’m getting intermittent warnings. The light next to the button is mostly green but occasionally goes red.

What’s the tech behind this system? - does it work using your mobile?

The car has it's own sim card.........somewhere??????

Might go red when the network isn't present.

Does anyone know how this feature can be disabled???  If it can be I would like it removed........or does anyone know where I can pay for it to be disabled?

Golf 7.5 GTI, 2019MY, DSG, Atlantic blue, 90% rear tints.

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2019, 18:31 »
I haven't had my mobile connected.  I've booked into VW Thursday next week. Bit annoyed this wasn't rectified on Wednesday. The Roof LED goes from green to red when the error occurs, clears itself then the issue begins after about 5 minutes.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2019, 20:55 »
The SIM is built in to the car so your own mobile being connected won't make a difference. As far as I know it cannot be disabled as it's for the new always connected stuff and it's also for emergencies.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Welshchris

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2019, 23:23 »
The SIM is built in to the car so your own mobile being connected won't make a difference. As far as I know it cannot be disabled as it's for the new always connected stuff and it's also for emergencies.

...Which isn't great if you live in a semi-remote area like me where the sim keeps dropping signal. I can live with the light changing from green to red and back again all the time, but the constant audible and visible warnings are a pain. Wonder if they can be switched off whilst leaving the sim active? - I've looked in the menus but can find no way of doing it  :sad:
Golf GTI Mk1 (gone)
Golf GTD Mk7 (gone)
Golf GTI Mk7.5 (about to go)
T-Roc R (arriving at some point!)

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2019, 08:34 »
Drove 7 miles to work this morning.  Not a single message or error regarding the "SOS". Shame the SIM can't be disabled. Will.see what VW say again on Thursday

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2019, 12:35 »
Page 180 of the manual states that:

“In order to permanently deactivate Volkswagen Car-Net functions in vehicles with the “Security & Service” or “e-Remote” packages, the “online connectivity unit” must be deactivated by a qualified workshop at your request.”

Not 100% happy with the system myself, from a Big Brother point of view, although I’ve had no malfunctions or warnings, but I guess it’s another of those things that could save your life, given the right (or rather, wrong!) circumstances.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2019, 12:59 »
Thabks for that "Talk torque" as long as it doesn't effect the satnav and it's functions I will be happy I'm happy to manually call the services on my phone. Just cant bear my music being interrupted with the SOS verbal message!

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2019, 19:05 »
Page 180 of the manual states that:

“In order to permanently deactivate Volkswagen Car-Net functions in vehicles with the “Security & Service” or “e-Remote” packages, the “online connectivity unit” must be deactivated by a qualified workshop at your request.”

Not 100% happy with the system myself, from a Big Brother point of view, although I’ve had no malfunctions or warnings, but I guess it’s another of those things that could save your life, given the right (or rather, wrong!) circumstances.

Absolutely fantastic thanks so much.

I collected mine 6 weeks ago and when I was being given the handover chat and I learnt about the sim card I asked for it to be removed..........the technicians at Chester apparently said it couldn't be.......well now you've pointed out this I'm on my way in this week to get it removed.

I don't care if it affects the sat nav, it shouldn't but clearly it will affect the traffic live report's,  as without speed camera alerts the sat nav is a waste of time....yes I know I can link waze and others and upload them as POI but really it's easier using the Tomtom as I can move that around all my cars.

I will update this thread later in the week when I've booked a slot with Chester VW
« Last Edit: 02 June 2019, 19:07 by Grahamt »
Golf 7.5 GTI, 2019MY, DSG, Atlantic blue, 90% rear tints.