Author Topic: Emergency SOS display icon on!!  (Read 12633 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Emergency SOS display icon on!!
« Reply #20 on: 03 June 2019, 13:51 »
BTW I hope that you don't have a android or apple phone - those things record far more about you than VW ever would...
I was going to write all about that, but I thought it would fall on deaf ears, so I'm glad you pointed it out.

Having worked with Google in their data & maps innovation development team, the data they have on users (particularly Android users) is off the scale. Personalised and non personalised data. The data VW could collect about you from an eSIM is minuscule and insignificant in comaprison.

The person worried about it being Big Brother is stuck in the 1970's it would seem, worrying about Big Brother watching, and radiation concerns from technology. Then actually having the audacity to waste a dealerships time & money to have something removed from the car that is clearly shown in the brochures and literature and features, and calming they were forced into buying it....  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 03 June 2019, 14:01 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Welshchris

• Just got here
« Reply #21 on: 03 June 2019, 16:15 »
The person worried about it being Big Brother is stuck in the 1970's it would seem, worrying about Big Brother watching, and radiation concerns from technology. Then actually having the audacity to waste a dealerships time & money to have something removed from the car that is clearly shown in the brochures and literature and features, and calming they were forced into buying it....  :rolleyes:

I'm not in the least worried about 'big brother' - As you say, tech companies already have the means to harvest data without relying on vw.

To be fair, I've only has my car for three days and the warning lights and voices are already driving me mad. I live in an area with patchy mobile signal, and the warning comes on literally every time I drive the car. I can live with the system not functioning all the time - There is a red/green light above the mirror to tell me if it's active or not, therefore I don't need the audible warning, nor the repeated reminders and amber lights on the dash. If there's a way of doing it, I'd get them turned off and rely on the light by the button.

The system is great in theory, but clearly designed for people who live in an area with a faultless mobile signal. I wonder which network the built in sim is trying to access?
Golf GTI Mk1 (gone)
Golf GTD Mk7 (gone)
Golf GTI Mk7.5 (about to go)
T-Roc R (arriving at some point!)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 03 June 2019, 16:33 »
Interestingly, the manual itself mentions personal data and suggests that you may want to ask your passengers if they are happy with that, so the problem is acknowledged by VW. I’ll wager that this system will be changed, in future models, with the ability to switch off all or part of it.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #24 on: 03 June 2019, 16:52 »
Of course its acknowledged.... under GDPR it has to be... and this is a German car and the Germans love a bit of data privacy :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 06 June 2019, 17:46 »
Afternoon all. Dropped the car of this morning for the SOS issue. Had a call this afternoon that the external aerial base unit has a fault in it so will have to be
Removed and replaced. Part is on order and should be fitted next week. The irony this morning the SOS warning didn't even present itself or the return journey home .

Offline david25

• I live here
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Welshchris

• Just got here
« Reply #27 on: 05 July 2019, 15:39 »
Afternoon all. Dropped the car of this morning for the SOS issue. Had a call this afternoon that the external aerial base unit has a fault in it so will have to be
Removed and replaced. Part is on order and should be fitted next week. The irony this morning the SOS warning didn't even present itself or the return journey home .

Any update on this? - Did the new part make any difference?
Golf GTI Mk1 (gone)
Golf GTD Mk7 (gone)
Golf GTI Mk7.5 (about to go)
T-Roc R (arriving at some point!)

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 05 July 2019, 15:42 »
Good afternoon

Well so far so good 3 weeks in now with the base aerial unit changed no problems. No problems have come up at all so am overall happy with everything.  :rolleyes: