Author Topic: Phatnoise and DVD Nav in...  (Read 1127 times)

Offline edo

• Not said much yet
Phatnoise and DVD Nav in...
« on: 09 August 2006, 17:26 »
Ok,

Just thought I would let you all know I have replaced my MK5 Golf GTI RCD300 with an MFD2 DVD Nav unit, and hooked up a Phatnoise.

The Nav unit was VERY straight forward, with the very helpfull guide linked off this site on how to remove the stereo - I've taken it in and out a couple of times now (Phatnoise came later) and I can do it in about 20 mins now!

You just have to be careful with the face plate that surround the stereo and aircon controls as the clips come off very easily (easily glued back on).

The Antenna is under the top trim out of sight, and seems to work fine. Can anyone tell me if the unit can tell me how many satellites it can see so I can check signal?

The head unit definately has a slightly better sound to the RCD300 - although that wouldnt be hard!

The Phatnoise came from the US and was only $190 - not bad compared to £500 from VW or Audi. The software is excellent.
I had a problem with the PSU for the base station which went pop, but managed to source a replacement off ebay for £15.

The cable was the biggest challenge. The unit I bought was for an Audi so had the round connector. I quickly sourced a VW one (again off ebay), but since I had no changer before, also needed the hed unit to changer cable. The first one I bought was wrong. DONT buy this one (which I am now selling!);

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&item=140017088162&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

You need THIS one;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14932&item=180009186525

The Phatbox is sitting under the passenger seat - which isnt perfect, you can just see it if you look. I may move it to the boot at some point.

Very impressed with the software for the Phatnoise too.

Anyone needing help in Surrey - let me know!!

The whole setup cost no more than £700. Not bad considering through VW/from new would have been over £2,000!