Author Topic: E-Sim  (Read 2834 times)

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
Re: E-Sim
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2022, 11:30 »
Out of curiosity I just checked what this Cubic eSIM gets you.

Basically looks like it allows people in your car to connect their phones via a WiFi hotspot if you pay for the data.

As most people have oodles of data included in their monthly plans, it wouldn't make any sense for me to pay for passengers to get a 'free' WiFi connection.

Seems to be a bit of a pointless complication that we can do without.   I'm sure we'd all prefer VW to concentrate on getting the basics right rather than including this stuff.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2022, 11:31 »
I had tried that approach, as did several people over on the R forum and it didn't work! I just ended up with a different error!

I just checked again, the message is back! I’ve just turned off the esim in settings and I’m using my phone as hotspot for data (I’ve got a huge data plan on it). Message has gone again, I’ve restarted the car a few times and no message coming back up. Bloody VW.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2022, 12:02 »
The problem with using your phone as a hotspot is that CarPlay and Android Auto will not work when the phone is in that mode... if that matters to you. I want CarPlay so thats not an option.

Agree totally with Bill... its an utterly pointless feature, as everyone has big data plans on their phones these days and its far easier to stream media from your phone than faffing around in VW's clunky media system. As you say, get the basics right!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2022, 18:51 »

I’ve got a feeling that VW don’t know how to deal with software issues. 🙄😂

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2022, 15:03 »
I really hate this car at the moment. I disabled the esim then managed to set up my phone as the Wi-Fi connection while still being able to use CarPlay. Problem is you have to set it up every time you start the car. 🙄

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2022, 15:13 »
I really hate this car at the moment. I disabled the esim then managed to set up my phone as the Wi-Fi connection while still being able to use CarPlay. Problem is you have to set it up every time you start the car. 🙄

The mk7 was the same. You had to reconnect the phone each time.

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2022, 15:30 »

The mk7 was the same. You had to reconnect the phone each time.

Well it’s another thing to add to the list of issues when the car goes back in for a new steering wheel and to have the REALLY annoying vibration looked at. Think I might go for a different brand when this contract is up.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2022, 17:19 »
Mine connects to the hot-spot on my phone when I start the car...

I use macrodroid on my phone to start the hot-spot when my phone connects to the car Bluetooth and turn it off when it disconnects...

Something I used to have to do on the mk7.5 to get traffic data.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 20 February 2022, 18:32 »
Mine connects to the hot-spot on my phone when I start the car...

I use macrodroid on my phone to start the hot-spot when my phone connects to the car Bluetooth and turn it off when it disconnects...

Something I used to have to do on the mk7.5 to get traffic data.

Hmmm, I’m looking for the apple version. Thanks Fred.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2022, 18:38 »
Something called "workflow" maybe? I don't know much about apple stuff though.

You need the trigger to be connect or disconnect to the car Bluetooth.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC