Author Topic: OBD11 - High Beam Assist  (Read 1588 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
OBD11 - High Beam Assist
« on: 07 December 2021, 11:31 »
Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone has adjusted HBA speed under Adaptation in module A5 on a MK7/7.5?

I've looked at the OBD11 forums and there is a fair amount of VAG conversation - general consensus would appear that reliability of the function declines below 37mph/60Kmh but wondering if anyone with a MK7.5 has undertaken the modification and can comment?

I live in the countryside and particularly at this time of year, the beam pattern with HBA is better due to the potholes and torn up verges thanks to large farm vehicle traffic which makes it hard to see the edge of the road. Having the nearside beam pattern on high beam mode is an alloy saver!

Appreciate any comments or experiences that anyone can offer.

Thanks

Alex
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Re: OBD11 - High Beam Assist
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2021, 13:20 »
Didn’t Vw stop this mod on the mk7.5?
Activation speed is a 5Q0 Adaption and not avaliable anymore in the facelift's 3Q0-Type cameras. In 3Q0 no change is possible,
You can change the setting in the dataset, but I haven’t done it
« Last Edit: 07 December 2021, 13:42 by Vwjap »

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2021, 14:47 »
Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone has adjusted HBA speed under Adaptation in module A5 on a MK7/7.5?

I've looked at the OBD11 forums and there is a fair amount of VAG conversation - general consensus would appear that reliability of the function declines below 37mph/60Kmh but wondering if anyone with a MK7.5 has undertaken the modification and can comment?

I live in the countryside and particularly at this time of year, the beam pattern with HBA is better due to the potholes and torn up verges thanks to large farm vehicle traffic which makes it hard to see the edge of the road. Having the nearside beam pattern on high beam mode is an alloy saver!

Appreciate any comments or experiences that anyone can offer.

Thanks

Alex
I have the same problem countryside problem and agree HBA is really useful and reliability is sometimes problematic. Did not realise that adjustment might be possible. I intend to have a look on my 7.5. Will be disappointed if Vwjap is correct.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2021, 16:52 »
Also as I understand at slower speeds it doesn’t work that well, being too slow, thats why Vw set the lower speed as such, and then changed it to the dataset rather than an adaption

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2021, 18:38 »
Assuming you've got front fog lights (some early Mk7.5's didn't) there is some obd11 coding that you can do to have the front fog lights come on automatically with high beam, either with just the high beam or when you "flash" somebody as well. I did it on my Mk7 and it was an absolute game changer down country lanes. Probably the best mod I ever did.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2021, 11:21 »
Didn’t Vw stop this mod on the mk7.5?
Activation speed is a 5Q0 Adaption and not avaliable anymore in the facelift's 3Q0-Type cameras. In 3Q0 no change is possible,
You can change the setting in the dataset, but I haven’t done it

This is the essence of my question. If there isn't hardware support you're nowhere but I just find out whether the juice was worth the squeeze. If the implementation isn't great, there isn't really much point going to the effort of changing it.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2021, 12:36 »
Assuming you've got front fog lights (some early Mk7.5's didn't) there is some obd11 coding that you can do to have the front fog lights come on automatically with high beam, either with just the high beam or when you "flash" somebody as well. I did it on my Mk7 and it was an absolute game changer down country lanes. Probably the best mod I ever did.

No front fog lights on the TCR or Clubsport S unfortunately.

Out of interest, were the fogs bulb or LED? Just thinking about the throw of the beam. Could see them being useful for manoeuvring - particularly when pulling in to passing places and choosing a line at slow speed but my main issue is travelling at 20mph+ and being able to choose my line on the road together with spotting deer early who quite often are on the peripheral of the verge. The high beam catches them early enough for me to react.

Online Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2021, 15:27 »
I only noticed the 37mph thing this morning.... I was trying to understand the posts as I use the HBA all the time, as has been said it's really lazy up until 38mph when it then decides to wake up, often a pain when I'm going down dark lanes at under 38.

Bit like the PITA speed limit on the folding mirrors.... why 31mph??? going down a country lane at 40 and you meet a wide SUV or tractor but I can't bring the mirrors in to save them.... the one thing I wish could be changed.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2021, 01:46 »
I only noticed the 37mph thing this morning.... I was trying to understand the posts as I use the HBA all the time, as has been said it's really lazy up until 38mph when it then decides to wake up, often a pain when I'm going down dark lanes at under 38.

Bit like the PITA speed limit on the folding mirrors.... why 31mph??? going down a country lane at 40 and you meet a wide SUV or tractor but I can't bring the mirrors in to save them.... the one thing I wish could be changed.

Regarding HBA, it's only programmed to work from 60km/h hence being 37mph. Simply put, it's an accuracy issued tied to how the cameras and sensors determine oncoming traffic. It's not possible to change it on a 7.5 - you can modify some of the parameters but the camera hardware appears to be the issue.

Unless you spot the problem at some distance, I think the mirrors take about 3-5 seconds to fold in and if you're doing 40 I'd be seeking alternative evasive manoeuvres!  :grin: We have a blight of Range Rovers who do the school run to a public school near us and I had a mirror smashed thanks to the owner having no comprehension of lane position. Blind corner and should have been hard left, came round over the centre line and I had nowhere but a soft verge and deep ditch if I came off the road. If I'd had time to react, the mirrors wouldn't have closed quick enough.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2021, 15:28 »
Can you not just over ride HBA by selecting main beam manually? I can do that on the Tig with IQ headlights. Just push the stalk forwards and the white main beam icon with the 'A' in it turns blue.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.