Author Topic: Brand new R available for immediate delivery.  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Brand new R available for immediate delivery.
« Reply #20 on: 29 November 2021, 13:09 »
I think I have the monopoly on talking rubbish here, I got the name completely wrong!  :grin:

Back on topic, who fancies a £48k R?
Time to rummage down the back of your sofas folks, get your 4wd drag race drift-king supercar delivered before Xmas, I’m sure they’ll throw in a free travel mug too…
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 29 November 2021, 15:19 »
There are loads for sale on AT well under £48k!

MK7 GTi

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 29 November 2021, 15:48 »
48 k Wow !

i find that had to comprehend from where there were a few years ago , i don't think ill have another Golf , i quite like the other half's Polo GTI but the mk8 is difficult in a lots of ways for me

Inflation, pound vs Euro exchange rates and combined with long lead times (meaning zero discounts from RRP) and here you are...

My 2017 Mk7.5 GTD cost me just over 30k, my current Mk8 GTI was 34k - but it does have a lot more options than the GTD did. However that was before the supply problems bit.

And 48k represents a fully loaded Mk8 R with no discounts.... don't add the options and its under 40k, if you can find one.

The biggest shock of that post for me is that you paid £30k for a GTD. I thought you'd pay about £27k for one back in 2017 unless you went a bit mad with the options.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 29 November 2021, 15:52 »
Which means they are going to have massive redundancy costs to pay shortly. In some European countries redundancy is a massive payout.

Especially Belgium. If anyone over 50 is made redundant with a decent amount of service, you might as well resign yourself to keep paying them until retirement age.

When my old place closed, we were almost twice as efficient as a Belgian site that stayed open. Despite me coming away with about £46k after tax for 13 years service, it was going to cost about 4x more to make the Belgian site's staff redundant.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #24 on: 29 November 2021, 17:14 »
Which means they are going to have massive redundancy costs to pay shortly. In some European countries redundancy is a massive payout.

Especially Belgium. If anyone over 50 is made redundant with a decent amount of service, you might as well resign yourself to keep paying them until retirement age.

When my old place closed, we were almost twice as efficient as a Belgian site that stayed open. Despite me coming away with about £46k after tax for 13 years service, it was going to cost about 4x more to make the Belgian site's staff redundant.

You should see Italy.... if you have over a few employees (I want to say its 15) its actually illegal to make them redundant!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 29 November 2021, 19:39 »
The ID.3 range really does need a shot in the arm.
Plus it has the worst brakes I’ve experienced since the mk1 GTI.

I happened upon a hire company dropping off a new Caddy van last week. The Caddy has had a strange makeover it seems.
What did impress me was the Skoda EV (begins with a K and about the size of an ID.4) they were using. Both inside and outside it was leagues ahead of the ID.3, a really decent effort from Skoda. Apparently it costs about the same as an ID.3 but is bigger.
Why the hell do so many people blindly get an ID.3? Is it just because it’s a free car from their employer that has some sort of kudos because it wears a VW badge?
I bet the Skoda also had the same awful brakes though.

Did you properly test those brakes? They feel odd to the uninitiated. I thought mine were a bit poor at first. The initial bit of travel feels a bit spongy because its modulating the regeneration rather than actually using the brakes. If you have to stand on the brakes, they are very effective. Unless you drive like a nutter, you can do 90% of your slowing/stopping on regen. It shows up when you see how little brake dust is generated and deposited on your wheels.

Don't forget also that it's packing an extra 500kg of weight. For an 1830kg car it handles pretty well, but it's not chuckable by any means. Try dotting 20 bags of cement around your GTI and see how much it affects the handling.  :grin:

The Skoda you're talking about is the Enyaq. It's an ID4 equivalent and is priced at just under £40k and comes with next to no equipment. Everything is an optional The ID3 starts at about £27k with the lower output motor and smaller capacity battery. Like for like, spec an Enyaq to the equivalent of a "£35K" (effectively £32.5k after grant) 204ps/58kWh ID3 Family and you're up at about £44.8k. Almost the same, the Enyaq comes with an 80kWh battery that helps the far bulkier Enyaq maintain about the same range as the ID3, but a fair bit slower.

£12.3k between them, they're hardly equivalent in price.

The ID3 is a great EV, but it's no Golf R. If you compare an ID3 back to back with an e-Golf, you'll know how crap a half-arsed EV based on an ICE car can be. I've had a GTD and an R in MK7 guise and thought they were both great, but I had an e-Golf courtesy car for 4 days when a software update was being stubborn to apply. It was wallowy- like a bouncy castle on wheels, span up the front wheels at about 20% throttle from a standstill and was all round terrible. I appreciated getting ID3 a lot more after driving the e-Golf.

Coppers to run with a home charger and an overnight tariff, quick off the mark and quicker than a GTD, the only thing it might want is sports seats and slightly plusher door cards - apparently they are coming on the next model year (sports seats optional - some markets already have access to option).

EV driving is different, but it grows on you and with a home charger you could be saving 90% of your fuel bill, no VED. I appreciate the far bigger cabin (marginally roomier than the A4 I had for almost a year.

There's no way I'd have bought 2, let alone 1 if they were as poor as you say.

Until they sort a different battery tech to radically reduce weight, when they start making hot hatch versions.(340ps 4wd ID3 GTX apparently coming in the not too distant future), they still won't be as nimble as a Golf CS GTI because they'll be weighing in at over 1950kg.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2021, 19:45 by monkeyhanger »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 30 November 2021, 14:23 »
It’s oft said that a football team’s harshest critics are their biggest fans, and it probably runs true here too.
I give the ID.3 a bit of a hard time in the same way that someone who had paid for his/her season ticket in the stands every year for 35 years might give the new star signing, who the manager and board of owners want to build the team around, some grief for not putting in 100% effort despite the huge sums of money paid.

Did I test the ID.3’s brakes properly? No, I had no cause to do an emergency stop but that’s not my issue with them. They feel dead and unmodulated similar to the mk1 Golf GTI brakes did on RHD cars, hence I used the comparison. A mk1 GTI would actually stop in an emergency situation if you could cadence brake well enough and I have zero doubt an ID.3 would too using its ABS system BUT driving a 200bhp car I want brakes that feel firm and reassuring, that work with me so I can cover ground briskly and smoothly. The ID.3’s brakes made me feel uneasy at times. Visions of the horrible screaming alarm and sudden application of the brakes as the radar decides I’m not braking as quickly as the traffic ahead went through my mind despite me being one of those boring people that leave large gaps between myself and the car in front as I like a margin of error and don’t like a front end peppered with stone chips. In short, the brakes made me nervous. I’m sure they work fine or VW would get skinned otherwise, but they just don’t feel reassuring.

I love regen braking BTW, the lack of dust is heavenly as I really dislike cleaning dirty wheels in winter, squatting in a freezing cold puddle of water scrubbing the backs of wheel spokes and brake callipers with a mitt sure isn’t my idea of a fun hobby.
The MINI electric has brakes that feel like a normal ICE car so it can be done. It is also smaller, lighter and yet still runs discs on the rear. Oh, and it’s an ICE car converted as we all know so it can be done as it actually handles at least as well and goes at least as fast as its petrol stablemates. Your experience MH of the e-Golf just goes to prove VW lag way behind here.

The weight penalty doesn’t need to be an issue. A modern GTI weighs god knows how much more than a 25 year old GTI but handles way better at speed. Almost zero understeer, hardly any body roll etc etc. Part of the reason is advances in tyre technology granted, but most of it is chassis development aided by advances in electronic modulation of diffs and ESC/ASR (pinch braking of wheels to quell understeer/oversteer, allowing the car to carry astonishing speed through corners with no danger of hitting a tree).
The current drag queen drift mode special Golf R owes much of its talent to electronic chassis modulation rather than pure mechanical hardware. The reason the Clubsport S and Sub 8 Leon did such wonders on the ‘Ring is as much to do with electronics as it was to do with trick geometry and Michelin semi-slicks.
So there is absolutely no reason why a 4WD ID.3 GTX can’t be set up to drive at least as keenly and sharply as a Golf R using its even more modern chassis electronics. The weight penalty is perhaps the same as having four fat mates in your Golf R but I’m pretty sure the Golf R could still deliver the goods with Dave, Kev, Baz and Mikey on board albeit their kebabs might make a mess of the seats.

The hardness of the interior panels of an ID.3 don’t bother me. The absolute lack of design flair does. I’d expect it in a Transporter van but not in the hot new signing to secure the team promotion next year.
Even the mobile phone sized speedo binnacle is dull as buggery. C’mon, how easy would it have been to put in some low key background graphics and a slightly attractive (but still easy to read) font?
No, all we have are slabs of mid grey (this is coming from the shade grey’s #1 fan too) with badly placed gloss black slabs, oh, und ze funky mood lighting ja!

And the chin? What were they thinking? Most of the exterior looks fine but the doe eyed front end has absolutely no chin! Granted SEAT have gone a bit OTT with the Born nose and chin but the ID.3 just has… nothing.
I’d even forgive it the plastic wheel trims if the front end had at least a bit of menace about it.

But to the Enyaq, I’ll have to bow to your expertise on the spec as I’ve paid zero interest in electric SUV’s and intend to carry on doing so. The clue is in that I didn’t even know what it was called. I know they do at least two EV’s that begin with a K though don’t they?
I was going on the quick chat I had with the guys delivering the uglified Caddy to work.
They told me the Enyaq they were in was mid-thirties odd grand and it had alloy wheels (yes, no ID.3 steelies!) that reminded me of Scirocco turbine wheels, and a much plusher interior with buttons that looked like they were lifted from an Audi.
It might well miss some spec but it certainly looked more of a £35k-ish vehicle than a mid-spec turd skinned ID.3.

Having said all that, we have to take all discounts out of contention here in today’s market. List price is where it’s at. Cheap off peak charging tariffs are probably no more thanks to whatever incompetence has dumped us in an energy crisis so all comparisons need to be at full standard charges.

Would I buy an ID.3 right now? Yes actually. Just so long as it was dressed in a Cupra Born frock.
If I had a company car allowance that would be where I’d put my ‘free car’ money. Well, except they’re delaying launching it over here. In theory I would anyway.
If the charging infrastructure was better in my neck of the woods then it would be a MINI Electric in a heartbeat. It’s right up there with the Lupo GTI in the “best fun I have had in a road car but didn’t actually get to own one” stakes.

But I don’t get a free car from work so I chose to rent a Golf, therefore I have to endure DSG foibles, £1.60 a litre fuel etc etc.
At least it has rear speakers I suppose.
And lovely brakes. Damn those brakes are good, but damn those bells are a sodding pain to clean…

Now, who fancies a nice black R for £48k?

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner