Author Topic: How would you describe Tungsten Silver  (Read 2998 times)

Offline KieranD79

• Not said much yet
How would you describe Tungsten Silver
« on: 23 November 2021, 08:29 »
Hi all,

I've recently looked at a Tungsten Silver MK7.5 GTI PP.  Lovely car, has all the toys I want (Dynaudio, Arts Velour, 90% tints, Santiagos), drives well and low mileage but I'm still a bit undecided on the colour.  :undecided:

I had mostly made my mind up on Indium Grey (coming from a Carbon Grey MK6) but I just can't find one with the toys I want and being as I'm looking at the second hand market I'm beginning to think I shouldn't/can't be too fussy about colour.

So, I know this is such a personal thing but how would you describe Tungsten Silver?  It looked more like a very light grey in the flesh on a dull day but in some pictures I've seen it looks a bit 'sandy'... which I'm not keen on that.  I'm also mindful of resale once I'm ready to move on in a few years time.

Ultimately I know it's my choice and only I can make the decision if I can live with the colour but it helps to get other's opinion.  :smiley:

Thanks in advance.
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP, DSG, Indium Grey, Arts Velour, 90% tints, Brescia’s

Gone but not forgotten - 2012 Mk6 GTI, Manual, Carbon Grey, Leather, RNS510 Nav, Bi-xenons, Glendale’s, Lux Pack, Cruise

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: How would you describe Tungsten Silver
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2021, 08:50 »
Whilst colour is a purely subjective choice, in my experience it's one of the first things you notice when looking at a car and I've found in the past if I don't love the colour I never really love the car. So my advice is, if Tungsten Silver is the colour you really want, keep looking.

Just my view of course.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2021, 09:01 »
Tungsten silver changes colour in various lights more than the other colours.

It can be greenish, sandy beige, or flat silver..

I have quite a few photos if you look though my build over on the other forum:-

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/vw-golf-mk7-estate-gt-spec-tungsten-silver-1-4tsi.326479/

& yes I specifically chose it as it was the best colour that VW made available in the UK at the time, & yes between the dealers two different locations they had every colour in a Mk7 Golf at the time I was ordering, so I saw them all. Mind you mine is an estate, which doesn't lend itself to some colours!

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2021, 11:28 »
Sometimes if it's got all the goodies you want, in good nick, good history, etc, etc then you may have to sacrifice your preferred colour.

You could be looking for 'the' spec in 'that' colour for a while and may never find it.

Art Velours is a really nice option IMO and cars with that are few and far between.

An old friend once said to me if you want to start picking your colour go and put a deposit on a new one.

Just my opinion, unless it was yellow then forget all the above and hold out for the colour you want. 😂
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2021, 11:43 »
Condition and service history are the two factors I would consider most important if I was looking for a used car, followed by spec and then colour. IMHO being too choosy over the ‘must haves’ when looking for a used car can severely limit the number of cars out there to consider, especially with current market conditions meaning new and good nearly new cars in general are in very short supply.

@KieranD79; Tungsten Silver seems to be a popular colour so you shouldn’t have any issues selling it a few years down the line - provided it’s still in good condition with good service history at that time. I’d say if you don’t dislike the colour and the car you’ve seen has pretty much everything you’re looking for, then it has to be a serious contender.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2021, 11:47 »
Tungsten silver changes colour in various lights more than the other colours.

It can be greenish, sandy beige, or flat silver..

Agree with this. In certain light it very much has a bronzed appearance.

When I was shopping for a GTI my preference was for Indium Grey or Isaac Blue, but I'm really happy with Tungsten Silver.

2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2021, 13:49 »
What SRGTD said ^^^^

Tungsten goes really well with the red GTI accents too.
I really like the colour, it looks amazing in bright sunlight.
But if you think you’re never going to like it then maybe it’s not for you, it’s quite a ‘mature’ colour.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2021, 15:09 »
What SRGTD said ^^^^

Tungsten goes really well with the red GTI accents too.
I really like the colour, it looks amazing in bright sunlight.
But if you think you’re never going to like it then maybe it’s not for you, it’s quite a ‘mature’ colour.

Agree...

From my build on the other forum...

Bright sunshine on a summers day:-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/vw-golf-mk7-estate-gt-spec-tungsten-silver-1-4tsi.326479/page-4#post-6767262

Summer evening:-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/vw-golf-mk7-estate-gt-spec-tungsten-silver-1-4tsi.326479/#post-6767217

Flat winter light:-
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/vw-golf-mk7-estate-gt-spec-tungsten-silver-1-4tsi.326479/page-2#post-6767236

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2021, 17:42 »
If a car doesn't have toys you will forget about it not having them after a while, if you don't like the colour you'll always see that.

But the spec you want "Dynaudio, Arts Velour, 90% tints, Santiagos", isn't exactly high spec considering you can add tint to the factory tint to get to 90% for under £200, and Santiagos are very easy to get hold of, a genuine set costing £600 used.

You'll get a 2 year old GTI in the spec & colour you want, just need to give it a bit of time.

Life is colourful not biege!

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline dfm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2021, 21:41 »
I went with colours I really didn't want as a filter so white cars struck off the list. I really wanted the dark blue but ended up with tungsten silver in the end as it was 5 doors, manual and approved used. I was holding out for DCC but sometimes one has to bite the bullet.