Author Topic: Battery advice / possible coding help  (Read 961 times)

Offline Will2018

• Not said much yet
Battery advice / possible coding help
« on: 22 November 2021, 13:59 »
Hi,

My battery is on its very very  last legs after just 3.5 years. It’s the cheap Sebang EFB one. Had to call breakdown out last week as it had gone flat after not driving it for 5 days. Rarely use stop start but I did let it get low in summer from which it has never recovered from it seems.

I commute down to Southern England from Derbyshire at the weekend returning 5 days later. I need to replace it ASAP as the cold mornings are putting the final nails in the coffin. It only just started on Sunday morning despite a long drive North on Friday and a further one hour drive late Saturday night.

Does this one look ok? I want to replace it with more more robust AGM battery. The price is really good for a quality battery. I believe they are made in the same place as Bosch ones.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e39/

Also is anyone on here able to fit and code it for me around the Manchester area please on Saturday or Sunday? More than happy to pay. VW won’t fit or code unless it’s from them unfortunately. Tried a few places local where I’m working and they can’t code. Their quotes are crazy for the inferior EFB batteries.

In the meantime I’ve borrowed a booster pack and jump leads. I’m trying to drive it everyday even though I work half a mile from where I’m staying in the week.

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: Battery advice / possible coding help
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2021, 18:47 »
Vw certainly fitted varta batteries in  mk6 golf's under the Bosch label. Had one as a replacement for 6 years and still OK so far.  Lincolnshire is too far for me to do the coding. Bound to be someone Manchester area to code it.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2021, 21:14 »
The bigger 096 case size in AGM is the best option.

All info on swapping it torque setting for the hold down clamps & the VCDS coding required in my old(2015) guide here..all info in first post:-

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-retro-fit-a-bigger-capacity-battery-to-a-mk7-golf.320084/

The best place to find if people have VCDS & are willing to help you is the Briskoda VCDS members map here:-

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Td73_uUUqscV3nRm5br_o89PmBU&msa=0&ll=54.00776607053945%2C-1.1309465309052236&z=6

QUOTE:-
RED markers are Moderators / Admin

PINK Honoury,

GREEN Freedom members,

PURPLE are Briskoda sponsors

BLUE markers are std Briskoda members.

Most of the members in RED PINK & GREEN will tend to be more frequent users of the forum and VCDS, however there are also some std BLUE members who are a dab hand with VCDS,

As a sponsor the PURPLE markers are likely to have a fixed price scheme for coding and scans.

It is always a good idea to look at the owners profile to see if they are still active on here before sending them a PM (Personal Message), if they have not visited the forum for several months then it is unlikely they will read your PM.

However there are also a couple of Freedom members who have not visited Briskoda for several months, this is why it is important to see when they were last online.

Offline Will2018

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2021, 18:41 »
Thanks for the replies. That VCDS map is really useful. My battery is really struggling this week so I’ve bitten the bullet and gone for the Halfords EFB one with mobile fit and code tomorrow. Still annoyed about how complicated things are nowadays.

When the battery went in my other Golf (after 13 years!) it was a simple case of swap over and wiggle the steering wheel to get the traction light off.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2021, 18:50 »
It's good that you are changing the battery and they are coding it, unless you are literally getting a free EFB battery or selling the car immediately,  I wouldn't hesitate paying the extra to upgrade to an 096 AGM unit. Good luck!

Offline Will2018

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2021, 19:54 »
The Halfords website flags the AGM as not suitable so I was worried the fitter would refuse the install even though it’s just a settings change. Absolutely flat out with other stuff this week so I just want it sorted even if it’s temporary.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2021, 10:05 »
Maybe they don’t know how to code a battery, they may just use a generic obd reader to clear the dtc’s