Author Topic: Mk8 GTD - Returning car to VW  (Read 2473 times)

Offline daviegsxr

• Not said much yet
Mk8 GTD - Returning car to VW
« on: 21 November 2021, 20:08 »
I'm sure this has already been covered. I purchased mk8 GTD at the end of May this year. The car was registered in January and was 4 months old and had 1800 miles on it. After 2 days, the issues started with the software and has been into the dealer 4 times and still has issues.
They have now told me that it possibly needs a new steering wheel.
What I was wondering was what is the process with giving the car back to VW. The dealer has told me that I have to deal with VW customer services myself.

Offline phope

• I live here
Re: Mk8 GTD - Returning car to VW
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2021, 20:33 »
The important legal stuff is the Consumer Rights Act.

Contact VW Financial Services ASAP (if the car is finance through them, or any other finance company if used) - if financed, they are the legal owner of the car, and not you - your 6 months from taking delivery in May will run out soon - rejection should be easier in the first 6 months

if not financed through a finance company, then the contract is between you and the dealer - you would write to the dealer principal requesting rejection

« Last Edit: 21 November 2021, 20:36 by phope »
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2021, 08:00 »
The big question is, given the huge shortage of new and used cars, what are you going to get into in the interim?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2021, 10:01 »
its a fair question.....
if it wasn't so cold outside then i'd consider a go-cart over my 8!
MK8 GTi: Adelaide 19", DCC, Winter Pack, Rear Camera and sh!t loads of software issues! ;-)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2021, 12:19 »
Tell us what the issues are and I might be able to tell you if its something there are actually fixes for...

Some things are fixable, some things are not yet. The "big fix" is coming next month though, so ask yourself what plan B is if you give it back...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2021, 15:11 »
Chances are, you give the car back, get most of your money back (the dealer will probably buy it off you without going through the normal reject route) and the dealership sticks it straight up on thir forecourt for full RRP and some unsuspecting punter then has the same issue, except they've also massively overpaid for it.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline daviegsxr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2021, 21:06 »
Fred groves, the issues that I am having are as follows -

1- Emergency SOS
2- Travel assist

I also had a warnings for -

1 - Oil sensor fault
2 - Front travel assist
3- Rear travel assist

however these seem to be fixed during the 4 visits I've had to the dealer for Software updates. I spoke to the dealer the other day and they said it might require a new steering wheel. I think if it gets a steering wheel and I'm still having issues it will be going back, but the problem I have is what to buy next?
My wife and daughter both have mk7.5 gti's and they are bomb proof!  but that's not and option for me due to my commute to work.
Also, can the dealer turn off the lane assist permanently on my GTD.
Thanks.
David. 

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2021, 21:19 »
Fred groves, the issues that I am having are as follows -

1- Emergency SOS
2- Travel assist

I also had a warnings for -

1 - Oil sensor fault
2 - Front travel assist
3- Rear travel assist

however these seem to be fixed during the 4 visits I've had to the dealer for Software updates. I spoke to the dealer the other day and they said it might require a new steering wheel. I think if it gets a steering wheel and I'm still having issues it will be going back, but the problem I have is what to buy next?
My wife and daughter both have mk7.5 gti's and they are bomb proof!  but that's not and option for me due to my commute to work.
Also, can the dealer turn off the lane assist permanently on my GTD.
Thanks.
David.

Steering wheel and the associated wiring loom sorted my travel assist faults.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2021, 22:27 »
Yeah steering wheel for the travel assist problems and the sos unit has a recall too.

I've not had mine done yet but there is a TPI for it.

Whether the dealer will make the changes for lane assist is doubtful but anyone with obd11 can do it for you. Easy enough, I did mine.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline daviegsxr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2021, 15:26 »
Fredgroves, do yo have a number I can contact you on to discuss the lane assist.

Thanks.

Davie.