Author Topic: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....  (Read 13363 times)

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....
« Reply #110 on: 19 November 2022, 16:37 »
Interesting video👍
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #111 on: 04 December 2022, 02:46 »
I keep meaning to ask, how’s the MINI SE experience going now Splashalot?

Sorry for the belated response, Exonian.  I'm a bit of an infrequent visitor here nowadays.

The Mini?  In short, brilliant.  Over 1 year now, so the initial new car ownership glow has worn off, but the satisfaction and enjoyment remain unchanged.  No issues at all with the car.  The only thing I would change would be a smoother transition for the regen braking in normal mode.  But that's being really, really picky.

The video Snoopy linked is interesting, and reinforces my current thinking: EV for city runabout, petrol car for longer distance touring.  We run the Mini mostly off rooftop solar, so it costs us next to nothing, but as the video shows, if you have to rely on public charging, those savings are in the bin.  Not to mention the time and inconvenience factor of having to wait for a charger to become available.

I've toyed with replacing our 2.5 ltr petrol Mazda 3 with a Polestar 2 or Hyundai/Kia for longer distance touring, but our public charging infrastructure is laughable (courtesy of a decade with a climate change denying federal government - now thankfully banished)  For example, last time I checked there were two - yes TWO - Tesla superchargers in the whole State.  We will need a massive increase in this infrastructure to make touring in an EV acceptable.

In other news, since last checking in I test drove the Polestar 2 and loved it.  More refined and better engineered than the Tesla 3.  However, it seems Polestar have a significant issue with some of the electronics which can brick the car (Google TCAM Polestar).  So beware anyone considering getting one.  Lovely thing to drive, though.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 04 December 2022, 03:44 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #112 on: 04 December 2022, 07:29 »
My mate picked his Mini EV up yesterday so we went out for a blast. Acceleration is wicked and the handling superb, all the toys you could want. Range on 85% charge was 83 miles though we were giving it some😄
Build quality was lovely.
He has a holiday home about 300 miles away so the Mini will never see that, it’s purely to take him to work and mess about locally, He runs his own business so through the company it’s practically free.
Nice car but I was glad to get back into my GTI to be honest👍
« Last Edit: 04 December 2022, 07:36 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #113 on: 04 December 2022, 07:35 »
My mate picked his Mini EV up yesterday so we went out for a blast. Acceleration is wicked and the handling superb, all the toys you could want. Range on 85% charge was 83 miles though we were giving it some😄
Build quality was lovely.
He has a holiday home about 300 miles away so the Mini will never see that, it’s purely to take him to work and mess about locally, He runs his own business so through the company it’s practically free.
Nice car but I was glad to get back into my GTI to be honest👍

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #114 on: 04 December 2022, 14:25 »
Good to see you drop by Splashalot, even better to hear you’re still loving the Mini.

Very interesting to read that about Polestar. News like that isn’t exactly encouraging!
The South Koreans do seem to have stolen the lead as far as EV’s go. The Europeans (particularly German owned marques) have a bit of catching up to do. Much as I dislike SUV’s the EV6 GT looks very appealing (way too large and expensive for me though).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #116 on: 04 December 2022, 20:02 »
That’s more like it Will  :grin:
Mind you that’d be even more unaffordable!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #117 on: 05 December 2022, 22:20 »
With the prices of a normal transporter van & then the caravelles I don't think I'd want to know the price of that Buzz  :sick:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #118 on: 13 December 2022, 02:16 »
.. Much as I dislike SUV’s the EV6 GT looks very appealing (way too large and expensive for me though).

I've seen the EV6 on the road a few times, and cannot understand how or why it's classified as an SUV.  To my eyes, it looks like a wagon/hatch cross on an almost conventional ride height.  It is fairly large, though.  Borderline too big for me, too.  But it is completely different to the brick-like SUVs so common now.

In general, I agree the Koreans have nailed EVs best at this stage. 
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #119 on: 13 December 2022, 19:11 »
The EV6 and Ioniq 5 aren’t SUV’s in styling but their footprint and weight are more SUV than traditional hatchback cars as we know them. They’re pretty much a new format in themselves really, same as the bigger ID cars VW group produce.
We see a lot of those Korean EV’s from Kia/Hyundai in the UK and they stand out from the Golf/Focus class of hatch which traditionally dominated sales charts by virtue of their sheer size. In other markets maybe they don’t seem so big compared to popular vehicles that people are familiar with respectively.
I’m sure they have their faults but they seem very impressive. Pricey though, but what isn’t nowadays?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner