Author Topic: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....  (Read 13382 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....
« Reply #70 on: 09 June 2022, 13:45 »

I’ve been impressed by the video reviews I’ve watched. It’d be good to see one in the flesh. The quality of materials used in the cabin look to be a step up from the ID.3.

Be sure to report back if you do go along to have a look.

I’ll report back for sure.

2025 is far too long to wait for the UrbanRebel (I wonder if it’ll get a name change by then?) I need one yesterday! Far more inspiring looks than any of the dull ID models and their VW Commercial grade interiors.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #71 on: 09 June 2022, 14:30 »

I’ve been impressed by the video reviews I’ve watched. It’d be good to see one in the flesh. The quality of materials used in the cabin look to be a step up from the ID.3.

Be sure to report back if you do go along to have a look.

I’ll report back for sure.

2025 is far too long to wait for the UrbanRebel (I wonder if it’ll get a name change by then?) I need one yesterday! Far more inspiring looks than any of the dull ID models and their VW Commercial grade interiors.

My Polo GTI+ will be 5 years old in 2025 and I normally change my cars when they are 4.5 - 5 years old, so 2025 would work for me. I’ve read that the Cupra brand sits above VW in VAG’s brand hierarchy so the UrbanRebel is likely to be more expensive than VW’s ID.2, ID Life (if they build the Life) or Skoda’s equivalent, whatever that might be called.

It’ll be interesting to see if there’s a performance version (a GTX?) of the ID.2.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #72 on: 09 June 2022, 18:34 »
Interestingly (or not depending on point of view) the Leon, Born, Formentor and ID.4 sized thing that Cupra are launching soon all have a similar family snout to the UrbanRebel coming soon using those triangle themed headlights and styling highlights.
https://www.autodaily.com.au/cupra-formentor-and-leon-to-get-extensive-redesign/?fbclid=IwAR0x2KxiM4AH1zGbqhbLiRHUyUlzfXbxNCilb0yyCZ6f2hfRR0NSixaOWfI&fs=e&s=cl

Personally I really like the sci-fi looks
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #73 on: 10 June 2022, 06:57 »
Looking forward to your Megane impressions, Exonian.

Just thought I'd update my latest findings:  This past week or so has been the first cold, Winter conditions for the Mini.  Today's usual run to town and back along suburban roads in 5-7c and light showers yielded a battery consumption figure of 12%, compared to the usual 10% in warmer weather.  Heating was set at 23c and the seat heaters for half the journey. So by my (admittedly primitive) deduction that's ~20% more energy used. 

Now the interesting part (to me) is that the Mini has a heat pump, which from what I've read uses only 25% or so of the energy an element heater would use.  So if anyone living there in the UK is considering purchasing an EV without a heat pump, be aware that Winter range may be significantly lower than quoted by the manufacturer, and achieved in warmer weather.

And to compound the issue, it seems most manufacturers don't list the type of heating in their specs, from what I've seen.  I'd guess omitting the heat pump is a big manufacturing cost saving and one which a lot of buyers would be clueless about.  So best to ask....
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #74 on: 10 June 2022, 13:41 »
The fact that the MINI has a proper heat pump as standard was one of its big plus points to me too.
Especially important on cars with smaller batteries with already shortish range. You get a lot of EV for your money with the MINI SE.

https://youtu.be/oy4UOQNO6EM if you can get over the ‘car wearing a toupee’ styling this looks interesting too. Decent power for the size of the vehicle which is important to us hot hatch devotees.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #75 on: 11 June 2022, 04:25 »
I really, really like that Smart 1.  (I refuse to use the "hashtag" moniker).  As always, how it drives will be the chief determinant of my likely custom, but as a static presentation, it hits my nail exactly on the head.

The video lists it at 4720 length, but it's actually 4270 - which is a perfect size for us.

If it does sell for ID3 money.....good luck, VW.  The Smart's interior is light years ahead - very premium and stylish vs the ID3's austere drabness.  Hopefully the Smart's drive is just as good as the interior.
« Last Edit: 11 June 2022, 05:57 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #76 on: 11 June 2022, 10:34 »
The range of six small non-SUV EV’s is tested to the limit in this Carwow video - they’re each driven until their batteries run out of charge. It’s worth a watch IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd2ArceiJd0k

I'd missed that one the first time around. Its rather interesting.

Despite the crazy costs of a small car now, its an important sector - because despite them being expensive vs the past they are still cheaper than the next market segment up!

Important to me too as I don't want an SUV of any kind. Horrible things in every way.

Even though the Mini doesn't come out on top in this test, its still the one I desire - well, actually I desire the Honda but they really got the battery range messed up :( For a hi-tech Japanese company I don't see how they got that so wrong.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #77 on: 14 June 2022, 08:38 »
As predicted the UK plug-in grant has been removed
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #78 on: 14 June 2022, 11:12 »
As predicted the UK plug-in grant has been removed

IMHO it was always going to happen though; I’m just surprised at the timing of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61795693
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #79 on: 15 June 2022, 10:13 »
Any takers?  :laugh:
Despite being able to accelerate with scintillating power from rest to 62mph in just 3 seconds up to a top speed of 205mph the super-lightweight Artura also enjoys remarkably green credentials.
Claimed fuel economy for this supercar is a remarkable 61.5mpg - prompting McLaren  to claim the Artura as 'the most fuel efficient McLaren ever produced'. In keeping with that, CO2 emissions are just 104g/km – on a par with some superminis.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.