Author Topic: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....  (Read 13377 times)

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....
« Reply #60 on: 06 June 2022, 02:57 »

.....The Renault system is ultra modern but not yet proven, and we know all about French cars and electrics!

Must admit, that was my first thought!  I think I may take some convincing that they've fixed that.  :wink:

David25.  My GTI was a 2018 7.5 - 169kw/380nm.

Sorry, I've now read your earlier posts and can see you were comparing against your 7.5

Would you say your Mini is really as quick as Exonian's video https://youtu.be/nV3CeD3324U shows?

Probably, yes, David.  My GTI was a manual and I always launched it conservatively, so in that regard the Mini is streets ahead in instant, off the line shove.  In general city driving, also the Mini feels significantly quicker.  The response is instant, unlike the GTI's throttle mapping which could often feel delayed (esp without a pedal box controller).  I suspect that if you drove both cars everywhere on 100% throttle the Mini would still feel quicker due to that instant torque shove, but the GTI would prove a tad quicker at the very top end.  Although I've been surprised how easily the Mini dealt with ~80-130kmh HWY overtakes on a couple of occasions.  I expected it to run out of puff, but it kept pulling hard.

I also find I tend to utilise the Mini's shove more because it's so easily accessible.  I've said it many times already, but I find it addictive.

In general, the "EV or not" question is highly individual.  In our case, the Mini as a city runabout is perfect. We have home solar and it seems that I will be able to largely charge it for free for probably 8 or 9 months of the year.  That's a hell of a cost saving.  Then there's the much lower servicing and costs and hopefully much reduced repair costs.

I like the EV experience enough that I'm considering replacing our family car (Mazda 3 Astina) with another EV eventually, but not until our laughably poor charging infrastructure improves - a lot.

In short, I looked at EVs primarily for cost savings, but was won over by the driving experience.  To each their own, but as a lifelong petrol head I was, to say the least, very surprised.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 06 June 2022, 18:50 »
Thanks Splashalot, I'm also looking for fun factor and certainly don't want to spend > 10,000 on an "electric box". The Mini looks like the cheapest car in that regard. Good fun up to 130kmh is also relevant for the UK.
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #62 on: 07 June 2022, 11:17 »
Enjoying your reviews on the mini splashalot and they provide good evidence for decision making. I do quite a few longer trips so think I will have to wait a bit longer for a small non-suv brick that has performance, good looks and the mileage to replace my ice. Will keep looking though.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2022, 12:53 by joe6 »
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #63 on: 07 June 2022, 11:56 »
The range of six small non-SUV EV’s is tested to the limit in this Carwow video - they’re each driven until their batteries run out of charge. It’s worth a watch IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd2ArceiJd0

And this video is on the same theme but for larger EV’s;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg6-Vc9CSwk
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #64 on: 08 June 2022, 12:55 »
Thanks SRGT. Further food thought-provoking material.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #65 on: 08 June 2022, 13:00 »
Not available just yet but VW group do have smaller stuff coming

https://youtu.be/9xzfdmpQz9w

I’m liking that, it’s so ugly it’s beautiful!
I’m sure a more conservative VW or Skoda variant will be along soonish.
Mind you, the Cupra has attitude. Hopefully the production version won’t be too dumbed down.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #66 on: 08 June 2022, 13:51 »
Not available just yet but VW group do have smaller stuff coming

https://youtu.be/9xzfdmpQz9w

I’m liking that, it’s so ugly it’s beautiful!
I’m sure a more conservative VW or Skoda variant will be along soonish.
Mind you, the Cupra has attitude. Hopefully the production version won’t be too dumbed down.

I really like it too :cool: and I don’t think it’s at all ugly. I’d have one.

As you say, hopefully it’s not altered too much before going into production.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #67 on: 08 June 2022, 14:29 »
I’ve been invited to an E-Tech preview at my local Renault dealer in July.
I’m quite keen to have a look around one.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #68 on: 08 June 2022, 14:33 »
I’ve been invited to an E-Tech preview at my local Renault dealer in July.
I’m quite keen to have a look around one.

I’ve been impressed by the video reviews I’ve watched. It’d be good to see one in the flesh. The quality of materials used in the cabin look to be a step up from the ID.3.

Be sure to report back if you do go along to have a look.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #69 on: 08 June 2022, 18:53 »

https://www.cupraofficial.com/concept-cars/urbanrebel.html

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/cupra/urbanrebel/

Despite being three years out, Cupra already specs for the UrbanRebel: a 223bhp (166kW) motor should hit 0-62mph from a standstill in a healthy 6.9 seconds, and range should be 273-miles in the larger battery version. 
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black