Author Topic: Software questions  (Read 1937 times)

Offline ShropshireKen_GTI_Mk8

• Not said much yet
Software questions
« on: 02 November 2021, 18:04 »
Just had my wife's Mk8 GTI for  less than a week but may have to go into dealership to sort out the following:-
1. Keyless entry is hit and miss (unlike her previous Mk7). Have to use key fob for first time entry but after closing and locking the door it works OK. Locking the doors by pressing the small button on the handle worked every time - until this afternoon when it would only lock via the key fob.
2. How do you suppress stop/start? I've gone through the settings and found the screen that has a button with the words 'stop/start off' which you can change from white to red - but the wording does not change - so does a red button mean it is really 'off' or does an unlit button mean that? (Mk7 has a button to the left of the gear stick and when you depressed it then it would light up and you knew that you had disabled start/stop - but only for the duration of that journey).
3. I keep getting message telling me that lane control cannot operate because I am driving on Shropshire county roads that do not have lanes - how do I suppress this message?
4. What is the significance of the 'user' settings other than to identify Primary and Secondary driver details? Do I and my wife have to keep telling the car who is driving it? We are both happy to use the same car settings so will ignore this one.
Currently on software 1666 so should I get our dealership to upgrade us to 1668?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Software questions
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2021, 18:36 »
Yeah keyless is hit and miss.. Particularly locking.

Start stop, yes white is off.

Lane assist, turn it off. Press the end of the left stalk, click OK on the steering wheel. Has to be done each time you start unless you use obd11 to make it remember.

The primary and secondary users let's it save different settings. Eg heating settings, radio stations and other things.

Software upgrade, they will only do that if you report a fault that the vw system suggests an upgrade is the fix. 1668 is marginally better but not the magic complete fix vw promise...

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2021, 11:12 »
Get the car booked in for the keyless, I had mine fixed under warranty and it has been faultless since. walking towards the rear of the car it always unlocks under proximity sensing and the handle always works for the keyless operation

I'm on 1666 software too did ask when it was in about it being updated the only thing to definitely check is that the SOS OCR safety recall has been done
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2021, 09:43 »
Thanks both for your replies.I'll get it booked in for the keyless feature as suggested - plus a check on the recall SOS OCR.
I found the best way to set stop/start off was via the vehicle image screen where one of the topics is start/stop off and selecting that works for the duration of a journey.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2021, 10:31 »
You can also setup some things to be available from the quick access pull down menu. If you look at the top of the screen there is a white line if you move your hand towards the screen.... pull that downwards. You can customise what is on it.

I've got start-stop on there along with ESC on/off and my HK audio menu (which is actually what I use a lot!)

« Last Edit: 04 November 2021, 13:47 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2022, 10:07 »
At the first dealership service the software was updated to 1668 and keyless entry works every time.
Starting a journey in the Mk8 is more like an airplane checklist:-
1. software recognises my wife as the primary user but insists she/I put in her PIN number again
2. Do not want stop start to operate so have to unset it for that journey
3. Do not want lane assist otherwise keep getting 'bleeped' because the roads where I live are single track or have no centre line markings
4. If I want to run in ECO mode then start/stop becomes a default so I have to unset it again.

After 10 minutes of playing with the software I can then move off the drive.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2022, 15:22 »
Don't bother with eco mode.... one thing less on the least.

Honestly, its a waste of time.

Lane assist can be set to remember last setting using obd11.

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2022, 08:21 »
Thanks fredgroves for the comments in your reply. Forgive my ignorance but what is obd11 and how does it retain the last used lane assist setting?
Cheers
ShropshireKen

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2022, 08:23 »
Obd11 is a diagnostic tool and thing for tinkering with the software configuration of your car.

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2022, 08:33 »
Thanks again - may look into this - would this diagnostic tool also work on my 2008 Audi TT V6 Roadster???