Author Topic: Mk8 Clubsport Squeaking/Creaking noise front right driver side  (Read 10313 times)

Offline Megy_CS

• Not said much yet
I had similar sounding noises in my CS and they replaced the NSF top mount and OSF shock strut and now no further noise.

Further to my earlier post, I have had both front top mounts replaced plus both shocks and the noise has come back and is going in again tomorrow for further investigations

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
My GTI does it - sounds like the front suspension is knackered... you get a creaky groaning noise as the suspension unloads.

They've not attempted to fix it, just told me they couldn't hear the problem... despite me telling them how to reproduce it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
Picked up my car this morning and, I think, the noise has gone. It does seem that it's a common issue though, because there's a TPI (2064607/2) quoted on the warranty paperwork. Basically, the dealers have dismantled and rebuilt my car's front suspension.

Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
I had two recent creaks from the front suspension.... the dealers used a TPI to replace/grease the main front sub-frame bolts which fixed the issue I had when braking/turning in.... the other parking related creak they couldn't find/fix.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline PammyGTI

• Just got here
I had the same issue when I bought my Mk8 GTI in Nov 21, started to make squeaking/creaking noises around the front every time I went over a bump,  took it into VW & the technician replaced the cv boots,  runs like a dream now, no more squeaks !
If it’s still under warranty get them changed!

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
Picked up my car this morning and, I think, the noise has gone. It does seem that it's a common issue though, because there's a TPI (2064607/2) quoted on the warranty paperwork. Basically, the dealers have dismantled and rebuilt my car's front suspension.
Thanks for the TPI info, Sniffer. Mine had the 'better grease' as they called it done around six months ago and it worked initially but the issue came back after about three months. I'm due in for a service in the next few weeks and I've put it on as something to be investigated. I'll pass on the TPI info when I drop it off.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
Thanks for the TPI info, Sniffer. Mine had the 'better grease' as they called it done around six months ago and it worked initially but the issue came back after about three months. I'm due in for a service in the next few weeks and I've put it on as something to be investigated. I'll pass on the TPI info when I drop it off.

Yes, I had the same interim (lithium grease) fix applied in October.  It only masked the problem for a few months. Good luck!
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
Mine was in for it's first service at Inchcape today.  I completely forgot to give them the TPI info that Sniffer posted but I listed it for investigation and they've come back with...

"Carried out investigation into creaky suspension and confirmed fault with gaiters on shockers sized from following a test plan.  Removed and refitted trim correctly and all tested ok."

From that, I'm not entirely certain what they've done.  It's not the clearest job description in the world, is it?

Also had the engine cover off and can confirm that there's no noticeable extra noise.  I asked if there was a replacement in the pipeline and they said that they didn't know.

Also found out that I'm not too far away from needing new front tires.  I haven't rotated them in the time I have had the car, admittedly, but still didn't expect to be changing them (Goodyears) at 19k miles, to be honest.  Frequent tyre changes come with the territory of being a GTI owner, I guess.  I could get away with swapping the fronts and rears and will get another couple of months out of them but I have been deliberating sticking some PS4Ss on, so not sure it's worth the hassle.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline SCourtney

• Just got here
That is what they did to mine about 2 weeks ago, and so far so good.
Current: MK 8 GTI Deep Black

Gone: MK 7.5 GTI red
Gone: MK 5 GTI red

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Not changing the fronts at 19k?

Do you drive like miss daisy?

About 14ish for fronts normally on my gtd's, my gti had an early bath at 11k, but probably wouldnt have made more than 13k
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC