Author Topic: Golf GTI tyre reviews...  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Golf GTI tyre reviews...
« on: 11 May 2021, 12:47 »
He’s back, and in a GTI

https://youtu.be/176LXZFUucc

(One for the tyre geeks)

Not got time to watch it myself right now but I expect we can all guess the result(?)
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: Golf GTI tyre reviews...
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2021, 12:56 »
Great review, that one. Looks like Bridgestone pulled their usual trick - too hard and needs heat to work. Unsuitable for cold wet conditions.  Sigh......oh well.

Goodyear F1 AS5 for me when my PS4 are shot.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2021, 12:58 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2021, 13:59 »
Slightly obscure comment: Has he got Rylan's teeth?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2021, 14:11 »
That is a cracking video actually.... I love his dedication to testing! Man after my own heart!

What is interesting is that there isn't actually a "right" choice....which is where I've been at with tyres for a long old time. He says, they are all compromise. Spot on!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2021, 10:36 »
Great review, that one. Looks like Bridgestone pulled their usual trick - too hard and needs heat to work. Unsuitable for cold wet conditions.  Sigh......oh well.

The Bridgestone was good in the wet, it just needed a bit of warming up. PS4S seems to have the same wooly feel as the PS4 which is disappointing. Goodyear looks to be the best of the bunch.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2021, 13:38 »

The Bridgestone was good in the wet, it just needed a bit of warming up. PS4S seems to have the same wooly feel as the PS4 which is disappointing. Goodyear looks to be the best of the bunch.

Yes, agree, I think the Goodyear is probably the pick for my preferences.

Despite otherwise sounding good, I'm leary of the new B'stone's need for heat to perform. Needing heat on the racetrack to me means they would lack grip in cold wet road conditions. Pity, as they otherwise sound good.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2021, 13:58 »

Yes, agree, I think the Goodyear is probably the pick for my preferences.

Despite otherwise sounding good, I'm leary of the new B'stone's need for heat to perform. Needing heat on the racetrack to me means they would lack grip in cold wet road conditions. Pity, as they otherwise sound good.
some reviewers on the Tyrereviews site have said the Bridgestones are good in the wet and they didn't notice any heat issues.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2021, 07:13 »

:grin:
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2021, 14:19 »

That’s a very good point!
To be honest I didn’t notice as I was too distracted by his guns.
I worry about myself sometimes. 

What won the test anyway? I tried watching it twice but fell asleep both times.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2022, 13:29 »
https://youtu.be/yqXQgBdqVqI

The latest from tyre reviews.
Handy for those of us approaching our first replacements, not so handy for those still awaiting a build date as the Pilot Sport 6 will be out before your cars are delivered  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner