Author Topic: Clubsport 45s ordered and delivery progress  (Read 85160 times)

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
Re: Clubsport 45s ordered and delivery progress
« Reply #630 on: 26 February 2022, 19:36 »
So, we took the kids out to a country park and covered about 60 miles today, on all three types on road (M, A and B). A few of my thoughts for anyone interested or considering buying a clubsport, not too much detail as it’s been pretty well covered previously.

Firstly, due to covid and short notice, I never even test drove (or even sat in) any type of Golf mk8 before yesterday.

The build quality, I can see what a few are saying regarding cost savings over previous generations, I had a 7.5 GTD for 3 years and loved it, but for the last 14 months I’ve had a 67 reg focus titanium X pack, maybe it’s coming from the focus but in my opinion, the build quality is still very VW regarding the interior and stuff like the door open/close feel, it’s head and shoulders above what Ford offer.

The screens, the graphics (again compared to Ford) are immense, The lack of physical buttons we’re doing my head in at first, probably because I was trying to fiddle with all the new features, but I very quickly got used to it and I personally think the haptic steering wheel is brilliant, my missus doesn’t like it but I really do, the vibration feedback is very good.

The driving, wow, just wow, I’m obviously still running it in fairly softly but the odd occasion I did give it a little bit, it just took off. My last proper fast car was a focus MK2 RS in 2010, the clubsport is far better! It’s honestly like having two cars, a normal golf in comfort and a serious hot hatch in “special” mode. Anybody who’s thinking of buying one, just test drive it and focus only on the driving, you’ll buy it because of that and hopefully (like me) you’ll learn to live with the infotainment.

Edit: my only criticism would be the DSG, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it, it just like the motoring journalist’s describe, fast in sport, smooth in drive. But it’s the first auto I’ve ever owned and I would have specced the third pedal without any hesitation given the choice.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2022, 19:47 by Carl_45 »
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #631 on: 27 February 2022, 09:45 »
Congrats Michele and Carl, your cars look superb :afro:
Splashalot is right, white is definitely best  :whistle: (no bias here!) but I’m really liking the Kings when all shined up  :cool:

Great to read your first opinions Carl. I still dislike the vibrating haptics but love the perforated leather and heated rim.
DSG is still the weak point for me too. Great when pootling in slow traffic, great when flat out, seriously compromised for give and take driving.
Engine, brakes and chassis amazing (for a Golf).

Those Akrapovic exhausts will sound amazing when run in I’m sure  :cool: 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #632 on: 27 February 2022, 09:55 »
Provisionally booked mine for delivery to my Detailer 28th March  :cool:

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #633 on: 27 February 2022, 11:05 »
Congrats Michele and Carl, your cars look superb :afro:
Splashalot is right, white is definitely best  :whistle: (no bias here!) but I’m really liking the Kings when all shined up  :cool:

Great to read your first opinions Carl. I still dislike the vibrating haptics but love the perforated leather and heated rim.
DSG is still the weak point for me too. Great when pootling in slow traffic, great when flat out, seriously compromised for give and take driving.
Engine, brakes and chassis amazing (for a Golf).

Those Akrapovic exhausts will sound amazing when run in I’m sure  :cool:

Thanks Andy. I’ll post some thoughts when I’ve got a minute. Loving it though.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #634 on: 27 February 2022, 13:27 »
@carl and @kingmonkey, are you able to advise the software and hardware version your Ed45s came with? My dealer was unable to tell me if mine would have the latest, new hardware....

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #635 on: 27 February 2022, 16:12 »
@carl and @kingmonkey, are you able to advise the software and hardware version your Ed45s came with? My dealer was unable to tell me if mine would have the latest, new hardware....

Not sure about hardware, presume latest, the software is 1980. I did say to my dealer that if it’s not the latest could they update before collection, he said no worries.  As it happens it arrived on it anyway so I presume you’ll have it too.

Mine only arrived with one key so they’ve had to order one and I’ve got to go back to get it coded, unfortunately, I have to do this before I can become the primary user.

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #636 on: 27 February 2022, 19:30 »

Not sure about hardware, presume latest, the software is 1980. I did say to my dealer that if it’s not the latest could they update before collection, he said no worries.  As it happens it arrived on it anyway so I presume you’ll have it too.

Mine only arrived with one key so they’ve had to order one and I’ve got to go back to get it coded, unfortunately, I have to do this before I can become the primary user.

Thank you, if you go to the System Information information page on the main centre console display, here is where your software and hardware versions are, an example being H56, will also display Device Part number, eg 5H0035820D...would be very interested to know if either of you were able to get these details for me when convenient....

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #637 on: 27 February 2022, 19:40 »
I’ll have a look tomorrow for you.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #638 on: 27 February 2022, 19:41 »
I’ll have a look tomorrow for you.

Thank you, much appreciated 👍

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #639 on: 28 February 2022, 07:56 »