Author Topic: Clubsport 45s ordered and delivery progress  (Read 82728 times)

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
Re: Clubsport 45s ordered and delivery progress
« Reply #610 on: 21 February 2022, 21:59 »
I’ve asked them to leave mine, I’ve got the double wax in the garage ready. The first time I’ve ever really gotten in to detailing as such. I always use to use super resin polish in the past but that was as far as I went.

Yeah, all arranged for 10:30 Friday.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #611 on: 21 February 2022, 22:01 »
@Carl, would you consider a Ceramic coating? They are very easy to apply and the added protection is well worth it....

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #612 on: 21 February 2022, 22:02 »
Yep never let a dealer prep even if your not getting it detailed. Also never let them wash it when servicing
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #613 on: 21 February 2022, 22:08 »
https://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/collections/gyeon/products/gyeon-q2-cancoat-evo

Above is a good for those starting to get into Ceramic coating, can be used on wheels as well.

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #614 on: 21 February 2022, 22:10 »
Yep never let a dealer prep even if your not getting it detailed. Also never let them wash it when servicing

And that is why I got one of these:

Current car: Manual MK8 GTI 245, Deep black pearl.
Ordered: DSG MK8 Clubsport, DCC, Pure white.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #615 on: 21 February 2022, 22:26 »

And that is why I got one of these:

I had one of those in my ed35. They ignored it and washed it anyway. It was as dirtier than when I took it in.  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #616 on: 21 February 2022, 22:35 »
@Carl, would you consider a Ceramic coating? They are very easy to apply and the added protection is well worth it....

I thought about having it professionally done with the “5 year” coating. But to be honest I’m wanting to enjoy it myself and really am just getting started with this stuff so going to do to basics well first. I’ve got snow foam, double bucket wash method, BH korrosol, cleanser polish and double speed wax as a starting point.

My first job Friday is to remove the wheels to fit the dynamic centre caps, so I’ve bought under body sealant and I’m thinking of using the double wax on the black wheels after a quick clean since they’re painted rather than diamond cut?
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #617 on: 22 February 2022, 05:57 »

I thought about having it professionally done with the “5 year” coating. But to be honest I’m wanting to enjoy it myself and really am just getting started with this stuff so going to do to basics well first. I’ve got snow foam, double bucket wash method, BH korrosol, cleanser polish and double speed wax as a starting point.

My first job Friday is to remove the wheels to fit the dynamic centre caps, so I’ve bought under body sealant and I’m thinking of using the double wax on the black wheels after a quick clean since they’re painted rather than diamond cut?

Sorry, I've hijacked the thread somewhat  :rolleyes:

There will always be the Wax vs Ceramic coating debate. It comes down to how many miles you do, how often (And well) you wash your vehicle and if undertaking work yourself, how often your prepared to reapply coatings.

You can't go wrong with the Bilt Hamber products, (Although, avoid Touchless, it's quite aggressive)

As with either a Wax or Ceramic coating, the key is in prep of the paintwork. The first thing I'd be doing is checking over the paintwork for any swirls, light scratches, if there aren't any, I'd avoid polishing as this will inevitably inflict marring if not done with a machine. The paintwork on my first UP! GTI (Kings Red) was near perfect, so, I just thoroughly washed and decontaminated, blew dry, carefully wiped down paintwork an IPA solution (Gyeon Prep) and applied a Wax.

For the wheels, I would always go with a ceramic coating, I have tried many different products on wheels, a ceramic coating always performs a lot better. To be clear, I'm talking of longevity, a Wax will protect for a time (Maybe 6 months depending on wash cycle, products used to clean)
But, a ceramic coating will outlast and is vastly more resilient. My go to product is currently Kamikaze Rim Stance, 2 coats are applied.

The way the car is washed is also key, regardless of wax or coatings, in short, you want to ensure the paintwork is a clean as feasibly possible before you touch it with a wash mitt (not a sponge!) The aim to be the least contact with the paintwork as possible, the more contact, the higher the chances of marring and inflicting swirls. I even blow dry the car when finished washing as even when clean, drying with a cloth can cause marring and swirls.

This of course is all my opinion (And experience) there will be many different views, over the years of detailing many Golf's (And other VW models!) I have perfected and honed my product selection based on real life experience.

I don't want to baffle you but one thing I have started to do is apply a high temperature spray paint to the brake disc hubs from new. The idea being it gives the best possible protection from day one.I use Autotek ATVHTSG500 500ml VHT Paint - Silver-Grey.

Sorry for the waffle!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #618 on: 22 February 2022, 09:35 »
I had one of those in my ed35. They ignored it and washed it anyway. It was as dirtier than when I took it in.  :grin:

The ‘do not wash’ hanger is only one of the measures you need to take to minimise the risk of the dealer washing your car.

I also have one of those Carbon Collective ‘do not wash’ hangers. I don’t rely just on the hanger - I also tie a ‘do not wash this car’ tag on my key fob and get the service advisor to write the same instruction on the job sheet for the service or whatever work is being done. It’s worked so far for the 10-11 years I‘ve been doing this, and the dealer I use has always complied with my request :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #619 on: 22 February 2022, 09:52 »

The ‘do not wash’ hanger is only one of the measures you need to take to minimise the risk of the dealer washing your car.

I also have one of those Carbon Collective ‘do not wash’ hangers. I don’t rely just on the hanger - I also tie a ‘do not wash this car’ tag on my key fob and get the service advisor to write the same instruction on the job sheet for the service or whatever work is being done. It’s worked so far for the 10-11 years I‘ve been doing this, and the dealer I use has always complied with my request :smiley:.

Tbf I had it in writing that they wouldn’t wash it and spoke to them about it. Humans are the kink in the system as usual.  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.