Author Topic: Window Regulator 'How To' guide....  (Read 46553 times)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: Window Regulator 'How To' guide....
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2006, 02:46 »
And here is the new backing plate fitted to the door. You can probably just make out the screws that I used to secure the speaker:-

And just for reference, here is the old backing plate prior to removal from the door:-

Good luck. as Gaz says, if you own a mk4 for any length of time and this mod hasn't been done.....it will need to be! I was unlucky, it broke on my drivers door the day after I bought the car :angry:

Offline col73

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 22 March 2006, 21:12 »
Where do you get the new metal regulators. Is it from any vw dealer or somewhere else

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 22 March 2006, 22:09 »
VW, GSF and probably Eurocarparts but from what I have seen, all same price so might as well get it from VW.

Offline dna

• Just got here
  • 2001 1.8 GTI T 150 bhp
« Reply #13 on: 21 April 2006, 20:07 »
 :smiley: I have just bought a 2001 X reg 1.8 GTI T 150 bhp for 7000 in jazz blue, 2 door, 52000 miles with full service history, 3 days ago and what a beauty of a car

Just bought the repair kit for my driver's door and it was 28 pounds +vat from VW dealer in Dunstable.

Sooooo easy to fit it took less than a hour all you have to do is to pay attention to what bits you remove and put it back the same way, the instructions that were given on this thread is spot on. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 21 April 2006, 20:10 by dna »
2001 X reg 1.8 GTI T 150 bhp, Jazz blue
1997 R reg 2.0 Mondeo Ghia X, Aubergine

Offline GolfGL

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2006, 17:26 »
I knew mine was going so been telling every one not to touch it so i could do it on a nice leisurely day. So today i take my dad to the dump just about to tell him not to but it was already half way down. Tries doing it up and clunk, NOOOOOOOOOO. Got mine from VW £70 + vat so £80. I was suprised to see my dealer in croydon is open to 5 on a sat instead of 1.  Cheers for the guide Gaz was a massive help.
Audi TT 3.2 24v v6 2005 - The Sloth - Weekends
VW Golf 2.0 8v GTI 1996 - Lemonade II -Daily
MNR Vortx Yamaha R1 2009 - Track days
Sold Seat Leon Cupra R 225 -LM04 NDE "Lemonade"

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #15 on: 25 April 2006, 21:11 »
Mine went as i left the office this evening.. an hour drive home with the window in the bottom of the door, thank feck it wasnt raining. Pulled the door apart tonight and propped the window closed with some bits of wood wedged to the centre bar in the door. Hope it lasts till saturday, wont be able to repair it properly till then !

Offline blade1544

• Just got here
« Reply #16 on: 05 August 2006, 15:25 »
hi there i seem to have this problem with my drivers side window.
one of the plastic clips have broken and i have in the mean time got the glass holding on one clip.

where can i buy the metal clips from ??

please help  :-)

Offline Decanter

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 27 September 2006, 17:28 »
I have the manual regulators on mine, yes the crank handles :smiley:. anyhow just thought I'd pass this on in case anyone's in the same boat in the future.

My Mk4's a 2001 year model and they still have those crap plastic clips fitted to the regulator, to cut a long story short there was no official kit available for the manual winders so VW (couldn't get the from a motor factors) said that'll be £92 sir for the complete carrier :sad: I said "what about the kits with metal clips available for the electric winders", "don't know" they said "theres nothing to say they'll fit so we cant recommend you attempt it", I said "well do you have a kit on the shelf and if so I'll bring the old regulator down and we'll see if the clips are the same".

Well they are all the same (except the actual electric motor drive fitting) so £28 + vat is a lot better than £92 and the fitment's quite straight forward.  So if you have manual winders you can still use the motor drive kit for the metal clips rather than get stung for £92 :smug:
« Last Edit: 27 September 2006, 17:36 by Decanter »

Offline golf_turb0

• Just got here
can anyone help?? 1.8 turbo
« Reply #18 on: 12 October 2006, 10:36 »
I turn off my 1.8 t for a short period then it doesnt start for about 20+ mins sometimes and if i get it to  bump start  the idle is rougher & the revs go up & stays like it for about 10-15 mins drivin at low speed.. can any dubbers help?

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
Re: can anyone help?? 1.8 turbo
« Reply #19 on: 12 October 2006, 19:17 »
I turn off my 1.8 t for a short period then it doesnt start for about 20+ mins sometimes and if i get it to  bump start  the idle is rougher & the revs go up & stays like it for about 10-15 mins drivin at low speed.. can any dubbers help?

You would be better starting this as a new topic rather than tagging it onto the end of a window regulator how to guide.
Black 2002 GT TDi 130