Author Topic: th3_f15t Mk4 V5 "Teeth Cutting" Restoration  (Read 36117 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Re: th3_f15t Mk4 V5 "Wheeler Dealer" Style
« Reply #10 on: 03 April 2015, 20:17 »
Starting to get parts ready to get this V5 back on the road. I’ve ordered a replacement master cylinder off eBay, a new one was £145! Might get a new set of seals and refurbish it fully before installing it. Also got a new set of filters (oil, air, pollen and fuel), some new spark plugs, oil and coolant so hopefully by the time I MOT it’ll of had a full service as well. Also bought a thermostat and new coolant reservoir as the current one is full of crap and just want to make things look new and shiny under the bay. Starting to wonder whether I may keep this V5 as a second run around…

Anyway, some pictures showing some of the other minor areas that need attention. But first, my two Golfs:

So, boot lock and handle are pretty rusted up:

Rear wiper motor is seized and missing the arm plus wiper:

Passenger wing mirror has been hit by something and needs replacing:

The front bumper looks like it’s been hit, cracked the paint and may explain the cooling issues:

So this week I plan to sort the cooling out and service it, then when my master cylinder arrives clean it up and refurb is possibly before installing it and bleeding the brakes through with completely fresh fluid. Discs and pads will be stripped off to inspect the calipers for any signs of failed seals as well, just to be safe. After that it’s just a damn good detail the car needs then an MOT. Provided it passes depends on what happens next with this car. If it fails I’ll put it into storage, sell the engine and turn it into a BAM engine track car. If anyone has any hints, tips or good how-to guides, comment away. I’m always happy for help!

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2015, 20:21 »
sell it get a 1.8t plenty of cheap 1s about  :smiley:

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 03 April 2015, 22:07 »
Yeah, that's what I'd likely do. Its just this one has good bodywork and low milage so the shell is a good one.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 04 April 2015, 08:53 »
Yeah, that's what I'd likely do. Its just this one has good bodywork and low milage so the shell is a good one.
mileage means nothing and the v5 engine is not easy to tune  :whistle:

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 04 April 2015, 11:04 »
I wouldn't tune a V5 even if I had the parts for free! Just wanted to save a good car from the scrap yard and make a few quid towards funding my mk5 GTI. As you rightly said, so many cheap mk4 1.8T about its fair better to pick up one of those for tuning. Have spotted one near me that looks abandoned so may offer a stupidly low price and pick it up as another project for restoration.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 04 April 2015, 11:59 »
Pictures and tiny progress. The engine bay itself:

Should look lovely once I clean everything up and service it. Although while trying to locate the ‘stat, I noticed this:

My thoughts are this is the “fix” someone did to get the cooling fans running, so I’ll need to re-solder the wires back together properly and basically repair the loom! Not what I was hoping to have to do, this project is quickly becoming a more and more complicated affair.

Only thing to cheer me up is this bit of service history that came with the car:

That, and 2 old MOT certificates is all I currently have for the car, but I’m going to chase the previous owner (who I’ve never actually met!) and see if there’s anything else lying about. Anyone who can shed light on what wires connect together please inform me or give me a diagram/picture so I can attempt to repair the loom.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 09 April 2015, 13:26 »
I made some small progress with the V5 today. Started draining the brake fluid ready to swap over the master cylinders, still waiting on the replacement part to arrive though. Also started stripping away the bits I need to in order to get at the ‘stat housing. Also gave it a good scrub yesterday to start getting the paint work back into some sort of decent condition:

However, as I was pulling the wiring connections of various things, I discovered that previous mechanics have been somewhat unkind to the connections. The mass airflow sensor is slightly damaged:

And the connection to the ignition pack thing (whatever its proper name is):

These combined with the ‘stat sensor issue leave me with three options:

1)   Repair the current loom, preferably removing it from the car (cheapest)
2)   Replace the loom entirely with a replacement part, about £100 off eBay for one (preferred)
3)   Replace the whole engine with a 20V unit (or the 1.8T 20V unit) (extreme)

I’ll most likely source a replacement loom in good condition as it’ll be far easier to just replace the whole thing. While I’m doing that, may as well strip off the inlet manifold and throttle body and give them a damn good clean up. Slow progress expected as time slips past me…

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 09 April 2015, 17:57 »
Shortly after I wrote the last post, replacement master cylinder turned up. So gave it a quick inspection and clean up:

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Tomorrow, if I feel up to it, I'll put fresh fluid in and bleed the whole system including the clutch though to get all new fluid in there. Because I've ripped the coil pack and leads out, can't drive it to find out if it's solved the brake issue! Might also order the new 'stat housing and crack pipe soon too, as well as drain out the old coolant and prepare the engine for the new bits. Will probably replace the coolant sensor there at the same time as it's not something I want to do again in a hurry!

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Re: th3_f15t Mk4 V5 "Teeth Cutting" Restoration
« Reply #18 on: 10 April 2015, 14:23 »
Second day of brake restoration, started off rather well but went sour at the end. Borrowed a pressure bleeding tool to make the job a one man show, plus made sure that I had all the tools to do the job from the start. Turns out all you need for bleeding the whole brake system is a pressure bleeder kit, a waste bottle, 8mm and 11mm spanners and a jack. Don’t even need to take the wheels off (although it may help).

The rears bled OK, did drivers side first, then passenger, when to do the front drivers side and the bloody bleed nipple was rusted and rounded off but the previous mechanics. Whoever worked on this car before really wasn’t a good mechanic, when I find out who it was I shall name and shame them publicly. Have a suspicion which garages it could be…

Anyway, options now are to remove the wheel for better access, clamp the line and try to replace the bleed nipple with a new one in situ, but chances are it’ll have to come off and go on the work bench. I’ve refurbished calipers before so it’ll be no hardship to remove both the fronts and give them a total rebuild and possibly a lick of paint for looks.

Also discovered coolant dripping out from under the engine when jacked up, traced it back up following the damp trail and surprise, surprise it was coming front the thermostat housing! At least this wasn’t another job adding to the list as I was doing that job anyway. Chances are I’ll postpone any more work on the car until I can get it towed and into a proper workshop to get it up on 4 axel stands and properly stripped down (bumpers off, wheels and suspension off, the lot!).

Stay tuned for project “Teeth Cutting” restoration updates now, the dream of “Wheeler Dealer” style is over as there’s no profit left now.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Re: th3_f15t Mk4 V5 "Teeth Cutting" Restoration
« Reply #19 on: 11 April 2015, 19:19 »
In other news, ordered a new engine wiring loom for £133 delivered (was £153 but i offered lower) and a new set of front brakes for £51. The brakes are off a late model A3 so come painted black and the nice eBay seller said hell send the lowest mile pair he can find. Rather chuffed with that result.

Also got bored this evening so mocked up what red wheels and mirrors would look like:
« Last Edit: 11 April 2015, 21:11 by th3_f15t »