Author Topic: Mk5 TDI's - a good buy? Advice needed  (Read 8541 times)

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
Mk5 TDI's - a good buy? Advice needed
« on: 10 October 2014, 22:56 »
Hi all,

Been a little while since I've been on here, usually found in the mk2 section but looking for some advice on something a little newer...

I'm looking at Mk5 Golf TDIs to replace my ageing 306 derv daily. I do around 80 miles a day to work and I have a feeling this winter will finish the pug off for good. I was initially looking at mk4's but I've decided I'd like to spend a little more and get a Mk5 if possible.

I have a budget in my head of up to 5k (finance unfortunately so the less I borrow the better) and I'm hoping I'll be able to pick up something reasonably tidy with around 80-100k on the clock. Newer cars are unknown territory for me, never spent more than £1200 quid on a motor  :rolleyes:

I've seen a few reviews etc dotted around the net but but not too much info on TDI's. I'm looking for real nuts and bolts problems, and real world day to day living comments - I'm hoping a few owners on here may be able to help out.

A few queries:

- The 140 model seems to be a better option (no DPF?) over the 170 but I've heard a lot of horror stories about weak turbos. Is this age specific?
- Problems such as oil pumps, porous heads etc sound awful if google is anything to go by - truth in this or scaremongering?
- Clutches - I imagine the same problems and costs associated with the mk4's transfer to mk5's (DMF = £££)
- Turbos - This is probably my biggest concern. If the turbo goes pop how easy are they to change and what sort of mileage do they tend to go at?
- Facelifts - What does 'GT' badge mean? Is it purely a trim level? I've seen early and late cars with the GTI style facelift.

So to summarise are the 2.0 TDI lumps any good? Its always a gamble with modern diesels and obviously there will be bills but I need to get something thats going to be pretty reliable for a few years. I really don't want to end up with huge bills on top of finance payments.

Any help appreciated  :smiley:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Mk5 TDI's - a good buy? Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2014, 09:15 »
Sadly its not age specific with the turbo's. I've known early and lateish models both suffer failures. Equally mileage doesnt seem to be a factor either  :undecided:  some fail within 50'000 and others are still going strong with over 100,000k on the clock

The 140 did suffer from porous heads but that seems to largely affect A3's rather than Golfs??

If you're doing that sort of mileage then a 170 shouldnt pose too many problems. Make sure the injector recall has been done and quiz the owner if they have had any DPF problems. DPF problems are usually down to a failing sensor which people ignore and then the DPF clogs up

Think the GT was like a mild facelift in 2008 and have darkened headlghts and a few other tweaks

I've had my 170 A3 for just over 4 years and covered nearly 60,000 miles. The biggest issue I have had was a leaking inlet manifold which is over £500 for the part alone!!!

Other than that its simply been a case of servicing and replacing consumables. The car has been runningover 200bhp for the last 50,000 miles and still on its original clutch and turbo. I have removed the DPF but that was more for performance reasons rather than having issues

As always though test drive both versions and as many examples of both as you can as depending on how they have been treated can determine how they perform

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2014, 13:51 »
Thanks Rhyso, some helpful info there  :smiley:

Anything I buy will have near or just over 100k within my budget so no low milers unfortunately.

Are the 140 turbos made by an inferior company? Any idea on cost of replacement? I'm fairly handy with the spanners but don't particularly fancy ripping a new car apart  :grin:

Are there any major differences between a BKD code lump and a AZV?

A 170 is tempting but they demand more of a premium purchase and insurance wise.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2014, 17:09 »
Both the 140 and 170 turbos are made by Garret so not exactly a cowboy outfit

Replacements are around the £450-£500 mark. The biggest problem you will face is although they are supposedly setup, you may find you need to adjust the actuator/ stop screw in order to get the full performance. Quite often they are fitted and people experience poor performance/ turbo lag due to the above not being set correctly