Author Topic: Amp Trigger Woes, Help!!!  (Read 4958 times)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re:Amp Trigger Woes, Help!!!
« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2003, 16:01 »
the amp trigger wire can be any thickness. mine's so thin it's constantly breaking from being pulled by acident. I really should swap it for some thicker wire.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 23 November 2003, 16:27 »
yeah its a thin wire.. tuck it away nicely then?

it still sounds from his last post like he's using the wrong thing..

the amp wake up/remote wake up comes direct from the head unit.

i've never heard of the switched live (red) being used for this.

Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #12 on: 23 November 2003, 21:31 »
no neither have i, it usually is just poking out the back of the headunit with a female bullet connector on the end

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #13 on: 23 November 2003, 21:33 »
alternatively if you have a powered or amplified aerial you will have a remote on goin to that, just find it and splice into that  :)

Offline paladin

• Not said much yet
  • Call me old and I'll smack the sh!t out of you.
« Reply #14 on: 26 November 2003, 20:27 »
OK, a little update..

I went upstate to a friend's shop (I ususally try to limit my favor asking to important things but..).

As it turns out (looking at the diagam, the trigger wire goes from the radio to the fusebox (and door chime relay), then to the ignition.

The wire I spliced into is behind the fusebox so I not sure if before or after a fuse (my guess is before), but the entire length of the wire can carry current (not burned out).  Next, by grabbing the wires near the plug on the ignition a bit forcefully (you have to, or they won't even budge) WE HAD POWER! It went away when you let go, so unless I jam a screwdriver in there to push the wires while I drive, I'd have to change the ignition's electrical part (only a little burned out)

Now the question is..  perhaps I inadvertantly grounded the wire with the tester and burned out the ignition so if I replace it it'll be fine.. or.. maybe the draw is too great.  I'd hate to replace the ignition, just to go and do it again.  

According to Mitchell, the steering wheel has to come off and I might even have to drill out the lock (and put either a nut and bolt or rivet to put it back.. I didn't really read past 'take of the steering wheel').   Whatever the draw is, it must be minimal. I would think a fuse wouldn't be necessary.  But with all three things (the amp the radio and the door chime) taking a draw can the ignition take it?

Or should I not even chance it.  Fix the ignition and hook up the amp trigger from the cig. lighter or something (to be on only when the key is on instead of in).  There is no antenna out on this model (maybe its another reason to get a new radio)

So far, you guys have been great.. which way should I go?
« Last Edit: 26 November 2003, 20:28 by paladin »
'94 Mk III 2.0
Bosal cat-back:K&N w/mod.airbox:GIAC
Alpine 9815
JBL BassPro
CDT Audio HD-52 in reinforced q-form kicks
MB Quart 218.21 (mid's) in rear
QuietCar (being applied)

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 26 November 2003, 21:11 »
fix your ignition, get a new headunit with a normal amp wake up

i've never ever heard of triggering off of anything other than a headunit, i'd be worried about damaging the amp next
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #16 on: 26 November 2003, 22:07 »
I think the draw on an amp trigger is about 0.8 amps, but I certainly wouldnt take it from anything other than the head unit. If you dont have this,(and I dont mean to sound rude here,but) the quality of the stereo cannot be of any worth and would probably not be worthwhile amplifying anyway
« Last Edit: 26 November 2003, 22:46 by AdamB »
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 29 November 2003, 20:55 »
Has the radio got RCA pre outs for an amp?

I would find it unusual for a headunit to have these and then not supply a feed for the trigger wire to the amp. At the very least you should have an electric aerial feed which will be ideal for your needs.