Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 382812 times)

Offline mkviken

• I live here
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #1430 on: 02 November 2012, 19:48 »
I've always fancied a shot in an RS but fear i'd feel the same as you and having read that review i don't think i'll bother! The Megane on the other hand is a different story, although i hate the thought of losing so much in depreciation they are sexy imo! I know it's boring but i love it in grey! :evil:

When you say your car creaks is it from the doors? I had real issues with my door seals creaking, so much that they replaced them all! But even the new ones creaked a little but i found that putting some decent wax round the door openings sorted the problem.

the grey looks good yeah. liquid yellow is my favorite though :evil:

the creak/squeak/rattle im 99% certain its interior trim panels or something behind a trim panel. its almost a rubber squeak but also rattles depending on road surface. its very strange. :sick:

i had the door seal graon/creak you had or still have but i managed to fix that one.

if i can be arsed i might take the passenger door card off and have a look behind.

i fixed a few drivers door rattles by simply taping up a few loose wires which were rattling around inside the door.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #1431 on: 02 November 2012, 19:54 »
Suprised about the rs feel of speed I expected it to be better, as I didn't think yours felt that fast or had much shove in the back. I'm actually disapointed in my standard one compared to the tdi  :shocked:
Maybe its because my mate mike has a few 200+ bhp audi/lancia/fiats/alfas cars from the  1990s which just feel so much faster.

yep 200bhp in something that weight <1200kg will aways go better than the likes of our cars weighing over 1400kg.

how fast does a 106 gti feel for example and thats only got 120bhp!

im sure my car felt quicker. the RS seemed to have a fair bit of lag. it felt quite old school in its power delivery to be honest and that shock in the drive train when you lift off feels a bit strange. at speed it smooths out but at low speed it a very harsh car.

i remember an article (maybe auto car?) tested a stage 1 gti and they said in that tune it had RS bothering capabilities

remember an RS doesnt have the full 300bhp they claim - more like 270 or so. and it weights about 150kg more than a manual GTI so a circa 250bhp GTI must be in the ball park.

it was very good fun though and does make driving it more of a special occasion to be honest. i just wasnt blown away by it and didnt get the same instant feel i do form the megane

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1432 on: 02 November 2012, 21:58 »
I have the autocar with the scirocco r full review in were they compare the figures to the rs and the r is quicker so what your saying makes sense really.
I do find it sad that the cars I grew up with that my friends and I had have no modern equal. Yes they do with speed but fun and involvment sadly not. I miss the mk1 GTI, mk1 GTE, 5 turbo, rs2000, clip 16v, nova sport, uno turbo,205 GTI group meetings from my early days. We may have moved on to faster cars but more fun... Not according to most of us.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2012, 22:01 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #1433 on: 02 November 2012, 22:13 »
couldnt agree more.

it just seems every year manufactures take more and more away from the driver.

that electronic handbrake for example? why do we need that in our life?

yes performance figures are going up but i think the hot hatch market especially has lost the plot.

i see cars like the twingo sport, suzuki swift sport, mini cooper as hot hatches like how we remember them or as they were intended. the likes of the GTI, RS, ST etc as something altogether different now.

it defiantely seems to be more about a figure (speed/bhp/torque or whatever) to aim for rather than making the car fun to drive

the toyota gt86 was meant to revert back to the driver enjoyment instead of performance but i think they bottled it at the last minute and made a halfway house of a car.

i would love it if they brought back smaller wheels (remember when 16" wheels were big?), cable throttles and got ride of 250kg.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1434 on: 02 November 2012, 22:24 »
There's still something missing in those. A mate at work has a 58 plate
Jcw and there's just something missing. It's bigger than my mk1 too externally especially width.
Quite like the swift but just something.
I dont mind saftey kit electronics but a.compromise.
It is a shocking driving the.mk1 gti instant throttle responce and revs that just fly round because of low gearing and mechanical fuel injection. it opens your eyes to how delayed modern cars are. Once I get the mini back together it will remind me even more of what fun handling was.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #1435 on: 02 November 2012, 22:41 »
when will your mk1 be ready? what are the plans/jobs to do to it?

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1436 on: 03 November 2012, 07:37 »
Just spent the last two weeks working on the Leon anf ibiza so need a break from cars  :evil:
Had to replace on the ibiza the cat,CV joint, wheel barring, both drop links, all belts, all filters back brake shoes and a few other things £600 in parts at trade  alone. Leons had the belts and all filters and CV boot.
House needs a few things sorting and finishing first. Plus I always promised myself a nice finished garage so sort the house garage out, paint walls,  floor level then tile, lighting, new cabinates fit etc.
Then going to see about building a 24ftx24ft garage at home to replace the 50ftx21ft workshop one I have down the road so I can have everything  in one location without the constant worry I have now. Getting the building height past planning maybe fun as i want an internal height of atleast 12.5ft high to allow a new carlift or two to be fitted and a loft area above that to store the many many car parts I have.
The mk1 GTI will then be second on the list. The 66 mini simply needs assembling as that's halfway through a full bare.metal, nut bolt restoration so that's first, the other 3 cars will be sold on as projects as 4 cars for one person is probably enough  :grin:          (i may change the Leon for a RAV4 for my winter car)
The mk1 needs a bit of work its deteriorated from sitting in the other garage before the house was built. I want to do a full nut bolt restore on it. It could get away with, paint, new suspension, brake overhall, tyres and it would be exceptable to be used and I will probably do that first (excluding paint) as I may no longer like it! So its a good way of finding out before spending thousands on it with a full restore.
You now have my life plan for the next couple of years  :grin:
« Last Edit: 03 November 2012, 09:25 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1437 on: 03 November 2012, 12:24 »
Mkviken did you ever get the mk6 rolling roaded?
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Will@carbon

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1438 on: 03 November 2012, 12:33 »
"some things i wouldnt agree with you on are the stereo and the mpg. for 250bhp to get 40mpg on a run to aberdeen and back is excellent. my cooper s and clio sport would struggle to reach 26mpg regardless on how i drove it."

I think you miss understood me, it's unbelievable that they get 40mpg at a constant 70mph its just the guilt when it drops to 25mpg when your not thinking about economy and driving it like a gti, that's what I found anyway. If I remember correctly mine was doing 30mpg @ 90mph, next time somebody's out see what it says at 90mph with the cruise on for a while please.

The problem with light cars is you die when you crash, that's why cars are havier nowadays. Also build quality and materials suffers, that's what Japanese cars are for, but no thanks. Give me a fatty with a big engine and some solid trim and panels.
I don't believe in global warming, sorry.
How are speed bumps legal?
I dislike lorry drivers who block lanes in traffic.
All burglars must die slowly ASAP.

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #1439 on: 03 November 2012, 13:24 »
Mkviken did you ever get the mk6 rolling roaded?

no i never got round to doing it. it seems to be running fine so was just wondering if there were any issues with boost pressure etc which they would be able to check on the rollers. it seems to be spot on though so just didnt bother in the end