Author Topic: PAINT DAMAGED BY RUBBER  (Read 3939 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
PAINT DAMAGED BY RUBBER
« on: 03 May 2004, 10:38 »
As posted in the shows & events section. some **** pulled out on me on a roundabout.  we hit side by side as he cut across two lanes and left me no room.  >:(  Most of the damage to mine is by his tyres.  There is burnt rubber glued all round my wheel arches, side skirts and my alloys.  Anyone know a good way to get it off without ruining the paint.  I believe that meths is ok to use but am unsure, i'm a bit clamp handed and will probably make it worse. Any suggestions?  ;)

Blue MK2

Re:PAINT DAMAGED BY RUBBER
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2004, 11:43 »
heatgun?  ???

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2004, 13:30 »
Heat gun a bit hot, with my impatience i'd probably bubble me paint.  but on those lines I suppose a hairdryer would be safe.  It's so annoying, I dont want to scrape it off.  I wanna be able to soften it and polish it off.  I'll try heating it and see how easy it is to peel.  Then attack it with polish and an angle grinder!  >:( sorry still mad at that bloke!

Cheers mate
Shaun

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2004, 13:53 »
best bet is to consult a bodyshop. they'll know more than us lot :)
Have you tried a tar remover. Carplan sell it. It's good at removing stuck on things that sils and the lower parts of the doors pickup :)
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2004, 14:16 »
Yeah thanx, good idea. that might be the right stuff to soften it up.  Hard rubber and tar aren't so different.  worth a try.  If the bad weather ***** off i'll have a go after work and let you know what worked if anything.  Cheers for ya helps geeza's.  ;)

People who drive Rovers into Mk1's should be shot!

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2004, 13:48 »
Have a go with some Autoglym super resin polish as that is good at getting tar off...with a bit of elbow greese. They also do a specific tar remover (I think) which might do the trick.

Offline Whittle55

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2004, 17:24 »
Might sound abit stupid but if the heat gun is to hot maybe try a hair dryer on the hot setting.

Depending on how thick it is it might at least soften it for you,

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2004, 10:09 »
Give WD40 a go, if it can remove years old sticker glue it might do rubber as well :)

I got similar damage off me girlfriends Citroen by rubbing it with me fingers and scaping with me fingernails and a credit card.  Took a fair while tho!
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Fielder5757

« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2004, 12:00 »
will WD 40 damage the paint tho?

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2004, 15:35 »
^ nooooooooooo!

Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...