Author Topic: What car to get for 5 - 5.5k  (Read 5219 times)

Offline vort3x

• Not said much yet
What car to get for 5 - 5.5k
« on: 26 May 2006, 19:17 »
Hiya guys,

This is my first post so sorry for the newbie questions. Right my situation is that I travel a lot of miles to and from work and therefore have decided to go diesel. I sold my car (honda civic vti) last weekend and now need to get a more economical car. Although I want it to be economical I would still like a bit of umph when you put the foot down and that is how I came across the golf gt tdi.

From what I have read on this forum I am probably not going to get a decent 130 version but might be able to get the 110. Last weekend I went and had a look at a gt tdi 115 (X Reg) that was very nice. However I was surprised when I didn't feel any torque above 3k revs. Is this normal? The same day I went to test drive Seat Leon 110 (Y Reg) and got a much better response from the engine.

I want to go and have a look at a couple of cars this weekend and was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what to look for etc.

I am based in north london and as the topic says I have about 5k to spend. Might be able to stretch to 5.5k.

I look forward to your responses.

EDIT:- On another note, what are the differences, other than engine, on the different models (if any)?
« Last Edit: 26 May 2006, 19:30 by vort3x »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: What car to get for 5 - 5.5k
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2006, 19:53 »
you should feel a bit of torque but peak pulling power is at 1900rpm  :nerd: the power band in a diesel is very narrow and you are pretty much out of puff by 3.5K, therefore there's no point revving past this.  A remap however will solve that problem  :wink:

the one you test drove may well have had a faulty MAF sensor hence why you felt the engine wasn't pulling strongly enough.

the spec can very but ideally you want to go for the GT spec as this will give you lots of goodies.  though at the end of the day it all boils down to what the previous owner specified at the time.

you may be able to pick up a 130 if you scan the auctions..........

Offline vort3x

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2006, 20:03 »
Thanx for such a quick response Rhyso.

From what I have read on this forum the 130 looks like the best option but again it is trying to find it.

With regards to the auctions - where are they? how do I find out what cars they have for sale and whether it is the golf gt tdi 130. I have had a look at one auction site - british car auctions and couldn't find any information about what cars where selling at any time.

Any ideas?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2006, 20:07 »
scan your local papers for them.  however what you will find is that the list of cars up for auction won't be posted up until the day before.  best thing to do is ring them on that day and say what you're looking for  :smiley:

to make sure its a GT TDI 130 look in the boot in the spare wheel well.  Should say 96KW (power output) and HIGHLINE meaning GT  :wink: 

dunno how i  know all this  :rolleyes: lol  :wink:

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2006, 22:05 »
I have seen GT TDI 130s on ebay for around £5500 but they are mega high mileage.
Black 2002 GT TDi 130

Offline vort3x

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2006, 10:47 »
I have seen GT TDI 130s on ebay for around £5500 but they are mega high mileage.

You see that is my problem. I think I am going to be driving a fair amount of miles a year and don't really want to get a car with more than 80k on the clock. Looking at autotrader there are a lot more 110s than 130s within my budget. I think within 40 miles there are only 3 130s below 6k and all have clocked more than 115k. I will keep my eyes open and hopefully find a decent car out there.

If you spot a bargain please let me know.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2006, 10:54 »
you might have to travel a bit further to find the one you want mate.  I found mine in Bristol, 70 miles from where i live  :shocked:

obviously you don't want to do a lot of travelling so just ring or email the person selling and ask for loads of pics so you can judge whether or not it's worth going to see. that's what i did  :smiley:

good luck with the search mate; you'll find one for sure  :smiley:

Offline HARDCOR3

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2006, 11:00 »
buy this for £3800....... :wink: :smug:

'96 Vr6

Offline vort3x

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2006, 14:52 »
Would love to buy the vr6 m8 but I am afraid that economy is the key factor. It looks like a great car but have to pass  :wink:

As for travelling further, I wouldn't be too bothered but really not sure what I am looking for. I will do as you said and ask for lots of pics and then probably come here for your opinions.

Offline vort3x

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2006, 21:53 »
What do you guys think about this car. I know it is almost 1k over what I can afford just wondering if that is an average / good deal and therefore I can look out for others like it.

6th one down clicky