Author Topic: 2-3 loud clunks engine bay single time after i turn car on and start driving  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Speeds

• Just got here
I have Golf 8 GTI Clubsport every single time after i turn car on and start driving, i hear like 2-3 loud clunks as if something is clicking in the engine bay. taking it in for service to next week, it just doesn't sound normal.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
It happens about 100 yards after you pull away and sounds like the landing gear coming up?

It's the power steering pump pressurising apparently. I read a tpi about it as I was worried too. It's normal.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Speeds

• Just got here
It happens about 100 yards after you pull away and sounds like the landing gear coming up?

It's the power steering pump pressurising apparently. I read a tpi about it as I was worried too. It's normal.

Thanks, do you have TPI code? It sounds very hard. My Mk7 i never heard it before.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
I don't, but I remember reading it a while back when I was hunting for if the suspension rattle was documented...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
Is it possible to get access to the TPI's as a general punter?
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
Technical product information : 2029747/4 2029747/4
Service info: running gear - rattling/jarring noises from front of vehicle when pulling away for first time after start

Release date: 16-Dec-2020

Customer statement:
• Briefly after pulling away for the first time after the engine start a rattling or jarring noise can be heard
from the front of the vehicle.
Workshop findings:
• The customer statement can be reproduced.

: Type of change:
2029747/4

Technical background
Shortly after pulling away for the first time after the engine start the anti-lock brake system (ABS)/electronic
stabilisation control (ESC) performs a short self-check in which all valves of the hydraulic unit are activated
and the return pump briefly starts up. This system-related behaviour is sometimes perceived as rattling or
jarring noise.
The self-check is necessary for a correct operation of the ABS/ESC system. The resulting The self-check is necessary for a correct operation of the ABS/ESC system. The resulting working noises are normal. The working noises are construction-related and normal. There is working noises are normal. There is no parts damage.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2022, 18:18 by fredgroves »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
Is it possible to get access to the TPI's as a general punter?

You need an Erwin login, which costs money... or someone who already has one.

I had a login for a while and was downloading the training manuals.

Offline Speeds

• Just got here
Unbelievable, how do they can make it like this. Golf 7 does not has this problem.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
Unbelievable, how do they can make it like this. Golf 7 does not has this problem.

I'd not call it a "problem"

I suspect its all part of GSR 2019.

Offline Speeds

• Just got here

I'd not call it a "problem"

I suspect its all part of GSR 2019.

In my opinion it is ridiculous that a car of 55000,- euros makes a noise every first start that you think is something under the hood falls to the ground. This is the first car I drive where I hear this. And I understand that VW types a piece of text with the problem. They would rather do that than solve the problem. It seems to me that they can also make it without sound.