Author Topic: Anyone running a Milltek OPF back exhaust for their GTI?  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
As per title, anyone got the Milltek system on their GTI?

If so, few q’s:

- How’s the fit?
- is there any drone while cruising?
- How would you describe the change it makes to the exhaust sound?

Cheers!

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
Re: Anyone running a Milltek OPF back exhaust for their GTI?
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2022, 14:00 »
No but I saw this on YT and thought it sounded ok - not quite sure about how you can see the exhaust underneath from the back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-jv6-C3_A
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2022, 22:00 »
Mines getting fitted on Friday so I’ll let you know how it really looks/sounds!

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2022, 01:45 »
Not about a Milltek exhaust for the Mk 8 but an AWE exhaust. I see they are American but there seems to be a supplier for AWE exhausts in Manchester. For those of you who want a different noise (personally I don’t) have a look/listen. For those interested  it’s 1:17  before it moves.  :shocked:

https://carbuzz.com/news/new-exhaust-makes-the-vw-golf-gti-sound-a-lot-better
« Last Edit: 05 August 2022, 01:50 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2022, 08:44 »
No but I saw this on YT and thought it sounded ok - not quite sure about how you can see the exhaust underneath from the back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-jv6-C3_A

That's exactly what I thought - sounds fairly good but don't like how you can see so much of the exhaust from the back

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2022, 08:45 »
Mines getting fitted on Friday so I’ll let you know how it really looks/sounds!

Look forward to your thoughts! Once my GTI CS arrives I'm letting BCS Powervalve use it as a test car to develop their exhaust. Motive being to get a big discount on one!
Had a Milltek on my S5 and rate their products.

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2022, 15:41 »
Not about a Milltek exhaust for the Mk 8 but an AWE exhaust. I see they are American but there seems to be a supplier for AWE exhausts in Manchester. For those of you who want a different noise (personally I don’t) have a look/listen. For those interested  it’s 1:17  before it moves.  :shocked:

https://carbuzz.com/news/new-exhaust-makes-the-vw-golf-gti-sound-a-lot-better

A UK/EU car won't sound like that. US cars don't have an OPF/GPF

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2022, 15:49 »
Look forward to your thoughts! Once my GTI CS arrives I'm letting BCS Powervalve use it as a test car to develop their exhaust. Motive being to get a big discount on one!
Had a Milltek on my S5 and rate their products.

Very happy with the Milltek. Idle has a bit more purpose and a decent sound in the cabin at WOT. No drone at all when cruising. Overall I expect many will probably think it's too subtle and not worth the money but it's exactly what I wanted.

I guess valved will give you the best of both but the novelty of the ASBO valve-open noise in my M3 soon wore off and I mostly drove with them shut except for the situations where they automatically opened.

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2022, 18:06 »
Glad you’re pleased with your exhaust tallPaul.

May I ask what you did to your M3 that made it too much? I ask because I’m in the process of buying the M2 competition, hoping to collect within the next two weeks, and I’ve been looking at exhaust mods for that. I don’t want ridiculously loud, just a bit racer and to sort the S55 noise issues by equalising the length (it’s a long discussion from much research, but, basically the twin turbo setup makes the two exhaust uneven length and the S55 sound like two, three cylinder engines competing for noise).

I’ve narrowed it down to two choices. Custom route or Milltek, equal length, OPF back. My heart says Milltek, my wallet says I try a custom place first. 

Sorry to bomb your forum folks, but it’s so much nicer here than the BMW sites  :whistle:, and it’s hard to get an opinion there without many just saying, “what you want is loud as possible mate, check this non-OPF USA video”. Not helpful!!!
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline Tallpaul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 05 August 2022, 22:56 »
I had an M3 comp. As I understand it, the OEM exhaust sounded ‘better’ than the non-comp version. However, the S55 gets slated as it doesn’t sound like the old non-turbo straight 6 M’s do.

Whatever, I think it suited the character of my M3 perfectly. With the valves open it sounded angry. The F80 M3 is not really a ‘fun’ car to drive (it sort of feels like it wants to kill you) so the noise suited its character.

That being said, I did look in to exhaust options. I concluded the right choice would be the M Performance system but couldn’t stomach the price.