Author Topic: Fitting OEM spoiler lip (TCR style 5G6827940A 041) to a ceramic coated mk7.5  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Jon2018WSM

• Just got here
Hi, has anyone fitted the OEM spoiler lip (5G6827940A 041) to a ceramic coated spoiler?

Any considerations around 3M tape adhesion to the ceramic coat? Is heavy cutting compound polishing, adhesion promoter application, etc. to the adhesion area necessary?

TIA

Offline willni

• I live here
Yep did it on my own.

• Spray water onto the spoiler to see how the water beads first as a reference point for water beading
  • Polish with heavy cut if doing by hand or light polish via dual action machine
  • Spray or wipe down with a paint preparation solution, alcohol, panel wipe etc
  • Spray with water again.
  • The water should still form beads as it was freshly polished but they shouldn't be tight circles/balls like with the ceramic coated areas, if you see loosely formed beads you've removed the ceramic coating
  • Wipe down with paint prep solution again and stick the spoiler
Top tip, pull the tape ends slightly and position it into place then pull the rest of the way when you're happy with its position.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Jon2018WSM

• Just got here
Thanks, is removing the ceramic coating entirely necessary,  maybe overdo the 3M tape? And I have some Simoniz Swirl Remover spare, will that be a heavy enough cutting compound for hand (finger) polishing and if so polish for how long? I have a friend who suggested just a couple of minutes worth, to put some micro cuts in to help adhesion, he reckons you don't actually need to remove the coating, just put some micro cuts into it.

Offline Jon2018WSM

• Just got here
I have some frog tape and will use the masking tape hinge method for positioning

Offline willni

• I live here
Thanks, is removing the ceramic coating entirely necessary,  maybe overdo the 3M tape? And I have some Simoniz Swirl Remover spare, will that be a heavy enough cutting compound for hand (finger) polishing and if so polish for how long? I have a friend who suggested just a couple of minutes worth, to put some micro cuts in to help adhesion, he reckons you don't actually need to remove the coating, just put some micro cuts into it.

There's zero benefits to having ceramic coating under it, it just offers less adhesion. The 3m tape will protect the area. I've seen painter lightly sand an area and paint over it and the lacquer comes of 3 months later, you're better to do it correctly, than worry about 5 minutes worth of ceramic coating.

You'd need something stronger, the likes of Meguiars Ultimate Compound.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Jon2018WSM

• Just got here

There's zero benefits to having ceramic coating under it, it just offers less adhesion. The 3m tape will protect the area. I've seen painter lightly sand an area and paint over it and the lacquer comes of 3 months later, you're better to do it correctly, than worry about 5 minutes worth of ceramic coating.

You'd need something stronger, the likes of Meguiars Ultimate Compound.

That makes sense, thanks