Author Topic: Best Brakes? And the way they need to be set-up? (After Market)  (Read 754 times)

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
Hi, I had EBC discs and red stuff pads, did the whole bedding in process as per their site. They had incredible stopping power. However, they juddered like crazy when hot!!! I was wondering if there are any alternatives, like a great set of pads on standard discs that are good or any other alternatives that are stronger than standard.

Also, do brakes need to be aligned or set-up in a specific way as I get Judder on stocks as well. A family member has a DB11 and I frequently use it and even when absolutely hooning it, the brakes slowly suffer from brake fade as you would expect, but it's so smooth with zero judder... just less braking power. I know it's an expensive car so will have much better brakes, but juddering seems unnecessary and something that a lot of track cars don't seem to suffer with. Is there anyway to mitigate juddering?
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline joe6

• I live here
Possible the discs could be warped even though you have 'run them in'?
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
I would say if the "judder" happens with 2 different sets of discs you have another problem somewhere.

The problem could be a number of things -

The caliper/s are seized, overheating the disc/s and warping them.

The hub face where the disc mounts has not been cleaned properly so the disc is not sitting correctly on the hub.

The hub itself is bent.

You have a worn suspension joint.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
Hi thank you for the advice. I forgot to mention that there is no judder when driving normally. I don't know whether than changes the answers? I am defo going to get this all checked though, thanks  :smiley:

I would say if the "judder" happens with 2 different sets of discs you have another problem somewhere.

The problem could be a number of things -

The caliper/s are seized, overheating the disc/s and warping them.

The hub face where the disc mounts has not been cleaned properly so the disc is not sitting correctly on the hub.

The hub itself is bent.

You have a worn suspension joint.
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Nearly a year since you last asked about this:
https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287485

:laugh:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!