Author Topic: 2023 Mk8 facelift rumours already?  (Read 18719 times)

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
Re: 2023 Mk8 facelift rumours already?
« Reply #30 on: 10 January 2022, 12:56 »
I can’t really comment on the “for better” or “for worse” debate. I’ll find out when my car eventually arrives.

But, one thing I think is being overlooked is that not every golf is a relatively high specc’d GTI/GTD or R, how many are lower end cars without many options. When we all had buttons the unticked options had to have little plastic filler buttons that just scream “look at what you could’ve had”. I do understand why VW and others have moved this way, it’s cheaper to create a standard cabin that can be used across the entire range with a software box ticked to enable the appropriate features.

I don’t fully get the negativity, I don’t hear every Tesla review moaning about the heating controls, like I say, I’ll make up my mind later.

Regarding the sliders, I do agree that the lack of illumination is an oversight, I’ve read/seen somewhere that the new Polo has illuminated sliders, I might be wrong and can’t find it now, but if so, surely that’s just a MY update.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 10 January 2022, 13:40 »
Regarding the sliders, I do agree that the lack of illumination is an oversight, I’ve read/seen somewhere that the new Polo has illuminated sliders, I might be wrong and can’t find it now, but if so, surely that’s just a MY update.

The Polo gaining a buttonless touch screen panel for heating, ventilation and air con was one of the changes VW made as part of the recent Polo range facelift. I think it now uses the same panel that’s used in the latest versions of the Tiguan and T-Roc.

The ‘sliders’ in the Polo are illuminated (‘arrowed’ in red in the picture below) but IMHO they need to be, as the HVAC controls are positioned quite low down - below the central air vents, so I’d say it’d be very difficult to find a non-illuminated temperature adjustment slider that low down when driving after dark. Even with illumination I dare say it’d be very difficult to make cabin temperature adjustments without the driver diverting their attention from the road ahead. At least the mk8 Golf’s slider panel is at a sensible, safe height for changing cabin temperature and audio volume as it’s high up on the fascia.

Here’s the facelift Polo set up;

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 10 January 2022, 14:04 »
That's the same as the current Tiguan and Aerton setup, which in reality is the previous generation tech with some lipstick applied... Note that the infotainment screen in the Polo there is the same MIB unit as the one that was in the 7.5 Golf.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #33 on: 10 January 2022, 14:23 »
That's the same as the current Tiguan and Aerton setup, which in reality is the previous generation tech with some lipstick applied... Note that the infotainment screen in the Polo there is the same MIB unit as the one that was in the 7.5 Golf.

Yes, only the Golf and the ID have the new style digital interface and everything that comes with it.

The rest have variants of the Mk7.5 gear...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 11 January 2022, 05:55 »
Hang on a minute here, never mind buttonless buttons and the like, on a more biological level - are some of you guys reptiles? 21 & 22 degrees? Do you drive in your undies with your heated seats on and your climate set to well over 20°C?  :laugh:
That is quite balmy.

I’m more of an 18° type boy.
No heated seats as mine’s peasant spec.
I do like the steering wheel warmer though, but only on its lowest setting.

Oh, and yes, the windows on the 8 do seem to mist up a bit despite aircon being on.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #35 on: 11 January 2022, 06:19 »
Hang on a minute here, never mind buttonless buttons and the like, on a more biological level - are some of you guys reptiles? 21 & 22 degrees? Do you drive in your undies with your heated seats on and your climate set to well over 20°C?  :laugh:
That is quite balmy.

I’m more of an 18° type boy.
No heated seats as mine’s peasant spec.
I do like the steering wheel warmer though, but only on its lowest setting.

Oh, and yes, the windows on the 8 do seem to mist up a bit despite aircon being on.

18 degrees?  Pffft - LUXURY!  When I was boy, we'd fashion car out of solid ice block.  AND we'd leave windows down in Winter!
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 11 January 2022, 20:58 »
I’d imagine in Oz 18°C would give you frostbite!
I’d want a car hewn from solid ice if I lived there!!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
Current and going imminently - MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack, DSG, Black

CANCELED - MK8 GTI Clubsport, Reflex Silver, 19” Adelaide Wheels, Winter Pack

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 17 January 2022, 17:13 »
Anniversary R model?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #39 on: 17 January 2022, 17:15 »
Let me fix that for you:

Anniversary R model sticker pack?

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC